Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2010, 10:15 PM

4,287 posts, read 7,985,590 times

Advertisements

So does anyone know the history of that huge quarry in Stone Oak between Steubing/Classen Ranch & 281? When did it start? When will it finish the quarry part of its life and begin anew as some huge shopping/entertainment complex? Or whatever that's gonna happen to the place after it's no longer being blown up and drilled.

I went on Terraserver to check out the old sat images. Looks like the main quarry part has been there since 1995, which is the earliest picture I could get, but the small quarry dig on the left side of the quarry has been going on since 2001, right around the time I moved out here.

I really like Terraserver, it's so cool to see how things have changed. Just go look at the 281/1604, 410/151, 281/410 interchanges and see the differnece. It's simply amazing.

San Antonio has come so far. The question is....in the right direction? But that's another topic, I just wanna know about the quarry right now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 12:17 AM

4,287 posts, read 7,985,590 times
Well....does anyone have any information on this? Can't believe I've been on City-Data for 4 years now.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:10 PM

947 posts, read 1,242,561 times
Not sure really,might have to look at Google maps. The area that is Morgan's Wonderland was once the Longhorn Quarry.
In fact, if you go Wetmore, there is a street named I think Big Country or Big Pass and a light. One day,I noticed right across the railroad tracks,there is a fence. Behind it was a family cemetery plot. must have been a farm or something there before the quarry. The eara by Alamo Quarry market was indeed a quarry. At one time years ago there was a company town named Cementville there. I recall reading or seeing somewhere that some of the bungalow homes for the workers came from The Pacific Ready Cut House Co.from Los Angeles. Also, the religious community, the Missionary Servants of Saint Anthony
was founded as a community of women to minister to the people who lived there as well as other poor.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:29 PM

6,691 posts, read 8,701,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I really like Terraserver, it's so cool to see how things have changed. Just go look at the 281/1604, 410/151, 281/410 interchanges and see the differnece. It's simply amazing.
If I went to look up onTerraserver at the 281/1604 area, it would be depressing to me to see how the area has changed. Amazing doesn't come to my mind, just cul-de-sac after another cul-de-sac instead of trees, rock and country land.

San Antonio has really grown over the years.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:38 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,466,801 times
Went to Historic Aeriels and looked at the quarry in question. In 1955 there was no sign of anything there but pasture, but in the next year available (1963), it shows activity starting at the location.
It is so amazing looking at places then compared to now. I need a time machine.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:10 PM

424 posts, read 606,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritos56 View Post
Not sure really,might have to look at Google maps. The area that is Morgan's Wonderland was once the Longhorn Quarry.
In fact, if you go Wetmore, there is a street named I think Big Country or Big Pass and a light. One day,I noticed right across the railroad tracks,there is a fence. Behind it was a family cemetery plot. must have been a farm or something there before the quarry. The eara by Alamo Quarry market was indeed a quarry. At one time years ago there was a company town named Cementville there. I recall reading or seeing somewhere that some of the bungalow homes for the workers came from The Pacific Ready Cut House Co.from Los Angeles. Also, the religious community, the Missionary Servants of Saint Anthony
was founded as a community of women to minister to the people who lived there as well as other poor.
The zoo and sunken garden area used to be a quarry as well. So did La Cantera/Six Flags and the Rim across the freeway.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:02 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,360,098 times
Default Quarry?

San Antonio has had the hell quarried out of it. Really good quality crushed limestone is the product.
There is no telling what will develop there. A lot of the city has been moved around.
Yes, the Sunken Gardens, The Zoo,The Rim, Ingam Mall , Blanco and 1604, Fiesta Texas, the Quarry Golf Club, Alamo Stadium...those are the ones I can think of. Who would have known that all these places would spring up from an old gravel pit ?

Old 09-24-2014, 07:44 PM

4,423 posts, read 5,295,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
San Antonio has had the hell quarried out of it. Really good quality crushed limestone is the product.
There is no telling what will develop there. A lot of the city has been moved around.
Yes, the Sunken Gardens, The Zoo,The Rim, Ingam Mall , Blanco and 1604, Fiesta Texas, the Quarry Golf Club, Alamo Stadium...those are the ones I can think of. Who would have known that all these places would spring up from an old gravel pit ?
And the scorpions stadium along with Morgans Wonderland....

Old 09-24-2014, 08:08 PM

853 posts, read 847,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Well....does anyone have any information on this? Can't believe I've been on City-Data for 4 years now.
I remember it being there in the early 80s and it looked like it had been there awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio