U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2010, 06:36 PM

47 posts, read 65,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
white people don't go to bars, they go to restaurants and hotels to drink and pay $7+ for drinks so they can have their separation of class. Go ahead look at the cars you see outside the Tower of the Americas or Grand Hyatt on a friday night, and then look at the cars outside at Stone Oak, you know stone oak has $70,000+ cars inside, you've seen them yourself at 5PM, where are they? valet parked downtown at Landry's or the Hard Rock Cafe, hell, even Pat O's for hurricanes if they don't have the class stigma goin' on.

This is coming from a realist 24 year old white Incarnate Word Alumni who loves all parts of San Antonio and know where to go. and don't knock the hispanic culture here, if you know how to "grita" correctly, you'll get free drinks all night!

(posted at Starbucks in front of 3 beautiful women that just said hi to me.) (ok, that last part was a joke)

Well duh. I prefer other places over the ones you mentioned though, downtown SA sucks it is for people who don't know where to go in the better parts of SA.

Starbucks is just stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 06:39 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,897,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinn View Post
downtown SA sucks it is for people who don't know where to go in the better parts of SA.
Do tell. Where should these people be going instead?

Old 10-09-2010, 06:44 PM

47 posts, read 65,548 times
lol I'm not telling, 500 people will show up from the inner city if I do

Old 10-09-2010, 06:44 PM

968 posts, read 2,184,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Something the OP does not know obviously.

This resolves the thread. Now Austinn knows where to go hopefully.
well this doesn't resolve his stigma of other races of people. he has a very elitist attitude which is easy to portray when you can't see who you're talking at, but OP i hope you learn in time that san antonio wouldn't have the warm welcoming ambiance that we are known for without the hispanic mothers who have instilled that in their children, friends, and family.

and honestly, i don't always know where to go. but i won't judge a place based on how many other people are there. I judge it based on service, quality of ventilation (for smokers) and parking.

yes I hate duo rock lounge too (10 dollar parking my butt, its not even a rock lounge, THEY DON'T PLAY ROCK!)

Old 10-09-2010, 06:57 PM

968 posts, read 2,184,841 times
Quote:
Well duh. I prefer other places over the ones you mentioned though, downtown SA sucks it is for people who don't know where to go in the better parts of SA.

Starbucks is just stupid.
hmmm, I seem to have a great time there. in fact i'll be right in the crowd when shots are being passed by the millionaire in the corner. (wouldn't be the first time)

and you're right about starbucks being stupid. 4 dollars a cup of coffee? my drink was 5.24 today, i was shocked!

oh well i'll head to the lion and the rose for some millionaires coffee, and then stop by coco at legacy to meet up with my local friends and then on to downtown!

Old 10-09-2010, 08:35 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,318,156 times
Quote:
Nor does it me. But do you notice the hypocrisy? hispanic/black/white/Asian/whatever

That is the difference between Austin and San Antonio, you actually have people other than Mexican. In San Antonio you do not on average.

Also I don't know what clubs/bars you go to in Austin but the ones I go to with my friends have tons of white/Asian/black/other people in them. Definitely don't get feelings of being in Mexico when in Austin. There are Mexicans but they don't makeup everybody like in San Antonio.

Also you shouldn't call Mexican's Hispanic, somebody from Spain would be very upset at this. A person from Mexico is not Hispanic they are Mestizo or mixed race. I have a friend from Spain and he would go ballistic if he heard a Mexican call themselves Hispanic.
Well, San Antonio is what it is. And sometimes being the only white person in a club doesn't matter to me.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:14 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,355,101 times
Quote:
Also you shouldn't call Mexican's Hispanic, somebody from Spain would be very upset at this. A person from Mexico is not Hispanic they are Mestizo or mixed race. I have a friend from Spain and he would go ballistic if he heard a Mexican call themselves Hispanic.
There are various definitions of the term hispanic, but generally speaking it refers to peoples of Spanish speaking origins.

I've yet to meet any Spaniards who refer to themselves as "hispanic," most say they are Spanish or Spaniards as "hispanic" tends to refer to people of Latin America or former Spanish colonies and Spaniards tend to distinguish themselves from those populations, but I'm sure people like your friend are out there. Spaniards may rightly use the term to describe themselves, it's just not one I've heard often.

From the free dictionary: " Hispanic, from the Latin word for "Spain," has the broader reference, potentially encompassing all Spanish-speaking peoples in both hemispheres and emphasizing the common denominator of language among communities that sometimes have little else in common. "

A person from Mexico is mixed race only if he/she really is mixed race. There is a very significant population of Mexicans who are directly of Spanish descent and boast no native or mixed blood. This has its own issues within Mexico and even within the Mexican-American community. Most of your upper crust Mexicans (and many who are moving to the north SA area) are very much not Mestizo and would go ballistic indeed if you called them that.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:57 PM

6,998 posts, read 10,235,462 times
I would definitely not walk up to a Mexican and call him/her mestizo. 30% of the people in Mexico are practically pure blood Native Americans and 9% are practically 100% European. But if someone has a problem with the word Hispanic, I'll just use Latino. The U.S. borrowed the term (which Romans used to refer to Spaniards) to encompass all Spanish speaking peoples. But I think Spanish people would label themselves white (because they are) in order to distinguish themselves from the people of Latin America.

Belonging to a very small minority, I would be happy to walk into a bar that's not on the east or NE side where at least a quarter of the people are black. The same goes for Austin. I've heard the bars out by UTSA have a better mix, but I won't be checking out any bars or clubs until the smoking ban goes into effect.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:31 AM

38 posts, read 60,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
I would definitely not walk up to a Mexican and call him/her mestizo. 30% of the people in Mexico are practically pure blood Native Americans and 9% are practically 100% European. But if someone has a problem with the word Hispanic, I'll just use Latino. The U.S. borrowed the term (which Romans used to refer to Spaniards) to encompass all Spanish speaking peoples. But I think Spanish people would label themselves white (because they are) in order to distinguish themselves from the people of Latin America.

Belonging to a very small minority, I would be happy to walk into a bar that's not on the east or NE side where at least a quarter of the people are black. The same goes for Austin. I've heard the bars out by UTSA have a better mix, but I won't be checking out any bars or clubs until the smoking ban goes into effect.
Wait, you have a problem where 1/4 the people are black?

Yikes.

On a side note: where are these 1/4 black clubs, I want to go there, being as I am 1/2 black!

Old 10-10-2010, 02:35 AM

6,998 posts, read 10,235,462 times
No, I think you misunderstood what I was saying. The OP was complaining about the bars being 75% Hispanic leaving 25% to everyone else (who I'm guessing were probably white being that they were in Stone Oak). I was saying that I would love to see a bar that isn't on the east side that is at least 25% black because that's hard to find. I could be wrong if someone knows of a bar that's not on the NE or east side and has a good number of black people; I know there are clubs like that. I haven't been to a club or bar in a couple of years because the cigarette smoke aggravates my allergies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio