Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 08:40 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times

Advertisements

Yep...

Quote:
Ex-Helotes chief takes plea in patrol car scam - San Antonio Express-News

The embattled former chief of the Helotes Police Department pleaded no contest Friday to felony abuse of official capacity, bringing an end to an investigation by the Texas Rangers as well as any hope for a future in law enforcement.

Morton Howard Ault, 50, will face up to eight years in prison when he is sentenced in June by state District Judge Ron Rangel.

(Full story at link)
I'm not quite sure I like the tactic the prosecutor's office took...

Quote:
Ault, who had not yet been indicted, took the plea only after prosecutors suggested they would indict his son, too, if he didn't, said defense attorney Bobby Barrera, adding he otherwise would have advised his client to take the case to a jury.
If the evidence against him was strong, then they should have charge both him and his son (who "fully cooperated with the investigation and has not been charged with wrongdoing").

Ault's attorney makes a good point when he said "There is ample evidence that everyone approved this business relationship — from the mayor to the city manager. Then when the media started sniffing around, that's when everybody started backing off and called the Rangers."

Something still seems a bit fishy about all this!

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 09:18 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,593 times
Default What ever happened ?

I wonder about the probably imbibed officer who was shooting his revolver in
all directions out there in a Helotes subdidision last fall? I had forgotten about that fiasco until reading this today.
Is that case pending or perhaps it has been dismissed ?

Old 04-14-2012, 10:26 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,776,563 times
He must have not felt confident about how strong his own case was to take the deal instead of going to jury.

I mean come on, his son formed a company that only existed to work on police cars for Helotes? The initial business may have been approved and accepted by the mayor and council but after seeing that little to no work being performed at tax payer expense then it was probably upsetting some people.

Most likely the judge will grant him the deferred adjudication deal because former cops don't do too well in prison from what I understand.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:37 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
He must have not felt confident about how strong his own case was to take the deal instead of going to jury.

I mean come on, his son formed a company that only existed to work on police cars for Helotes? The initial business may have been approved and accepted by the mayor and council but after seeing that little to no work being performed at tax payer expense then it was probably upsetting some people.

Most likely the judge will grant him the deferred adjudication deal because former cops don't do too well in prison from what I understand.
My, the wheel of "justice" does turn slow. And put him in prison, but in solitary so he's not with the other, more typical criminals.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:03 PM

While it's a horrendous crime for any government official, it's not the same as a typical violent crime or one that has implications for society such as gangs or drugs. If he makes restitution as described in the article then I don't see why he shouldn't get probation versus actual jail time. He's done as a law enforcement officer, his TCLOSE certification has been revoked and without it he has no chance of finding a job as a police officer in Texas. At age 50, it's not easy starting another career.

He can also be fined up to $100,000 and will be a convicted felon. He is paying a heavy (and just) penalty for his mistakes. It is inexcusable as a law enforcement officer to violate the public's trust like he did, but I just don't see what the point of imprisonment in what was basically a white collar crime...

Cheers! M2

Old 04-14-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post

That's my point, his son is more guilty of fraud then he was (although he was a contributing factor); why hasn't the son been charged?

I don't condone what he did, and he deserves punishment; but incarceration isn't a suitable punishment.

To me it appears that the investigation was targeting Chief Ault and bypassing any other guilty individuals to get a indictment against him.

Cheers! M2

Old 04-14-2012, 01:32 PM

923 posts, read 1,502,522 times
Bravo to the Texas Rangers for putting a stop to this.

The Helotes Police Department has been operating out of control for far too long with their heavy handed form of revenue-generating law enforcement.
I know clergy at local churches who have advised people coming in from outside the area to attend funerals and weddings to be careful; it was that bad.
I'm not surprised to hear the chief was involved in this type of scam; the way that police department was run, it was clear that it was all about the money, anyone could see it.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:28 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,776,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
That's my point, his son is more guilty of fraud then he was (although he was a contributing factor); why hasn't the son been charged?

I don't condone what he did, and he deserves punishment; but incarceration isn't a suitable punishment.

To me it appears that the investigation was targeting Chief Ault and bypassing any other guilty individuals to get a indictment against him.

Cheers! M2
What may have happened was that the former chief brought up the idea since the money paid to the son was being funneled back to the former chief's bank account. They probably went after the former chief because he was getting the money at the very end.

He probably didn't want to bring down his own son for his stupid idea.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud View Post
Bravo to the Texas Rangers for putting a stop to this.

The Helotes Police Department has been operating out of control for far too long with their heavy handed form of revenue-generating law enforcement.
I know clergy at local churches who have advised people coming in from outside the area to attend funerals and weddings to be careful; it was that bad.
I'm not surprised to hear the chief was involved in this type of scam; the way that police department was run, it was clear that it was all about the money, anyone could see it.
Sorry, but I disagree. The HPD are far from being heavy-handed in their enforcement of the law. Whenever you see them pull someone over, it's justified. The road in front of O'Connor High School is a perfect example, as is Bandera Road as it runs through their city limits. I've witnessed firsthand numerous occasions where some moron disregards the posted speed limit pn both and drives 15+ MPH over, only to be caught by the HPD. I for one applaud it, as there are clear reasons as to why there is a posted speed limit.

Moderator cut: Off-Topic

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-14-2012 at 06:43 PM..

Old 04-15-2012, 05:49 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Sorry, but I disagree. The HPD are far from being heavy-handed in their enforcement of the law. Whenever you see them pull someone over, it's justified. The road in front of O'Connor High School is a perfect example, as is Bandera Road as it runs through their city limits. I've witnessed firsthand numerous occasions where some moron disregards the posted speed limit pn both and drives 15+ MPH over, only to be caught by the HPD. I for one applaud it, as there are clear reasons as to why there is a posted speed limit.

Moderator cut: Off-Topic
Would you say that speed limits in Helotes are appropriate for the design & conditions of the roads? I haven't been to nor driven in Helotes for a long time, so I don't clearly remember if they were or not. My gut memory seems to tell me they were appropriate, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio