U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 02:42 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,077,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Also if any extra time is given please do not let it all be devoted to test preparation. Balance it with something else, classes on how to wash your clothes, balance a checkbook aka not get in debt, and how not to shake your baby when it cries.
I am agreeing to that. Too much test preparation, too much sit at the desk and pencil-paper work. There are real life tasks to learn too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 02:51 PM

73 posts, read 148,063 times
school districts already have programs to help students after they graduate. NEISD just wants the government to pay for it. After a student is done with their school credits they cannot receive money for them attending tutoring or other programs. If schools would stop "passing" students and giving away credits to meet completion plans they wouldn't have this problem. Most kids who need help in HS needed help in ES and adding 2 more years may not help.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:01 PM

7,000 posts, read 10,240,778 times
There are financial classes that teach you about money management, but they are electives. Some things should be expected to be taught at home like washing clothes. We don't need to spend money on the government being substitute parents. If a kid has trouble mastering the core subjects, then time shouldn't be taken away adding life skills courses which should be common sense and learned at home. How much time do you think that would take away from learning how to read, write, and do math if everyone had to also attend classes for child development, homemaking, and financial classes? There wouldn't even be enough space or money to hold all of those classes and you would have to shut down or take time away from technology, vocational, physical education, and arts courses which actually benefit your health and train you for a job.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:03 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,899,584 times
But most people don't end up getting jobs and instead shake their babies.

I just think there are some valuable things, maybe not washing clothes, but others that are not being taught to children by their parents. If it becomes a problem for society the schools need to compensate and insure knowledge is passed down that is valuable for society if not for a career. Some parents don't trust the state. In some ways though what about the trust the state should have in some parents? Some parents let society down so should not the government, which represents us, do what is necessary to protect us from their incompetence? It is not really the parents fault, industry and other market forces decided that both parents should work outside the home leaving the children without adequate role models or instruction. Who is going to combat these market forces?

Some sectors thrive on having a large unskilled labor force, it is a commodity to them that is better kept cheaper. It would be they who benefit from another two wasted years of babysitting. The schools have not proven they are doing a good job in 12 years and now they offer another 2 years to not do anything but just show up for class. Why expand a failing program? Which is what the school system is.

Last edited by Merovee; 10-12-2010 at 11:14 PM..

Old 10-12-2010, 11:12 PM

I understand what you're saying. I think what would help even more is getting these kids out of the cycle of poverty and encouraging them not to have children before they're mature enough to take care of them. These cases mostly happen with young parents or the economically disadvantaged. There are too many cases where young parents get frustrated and end up harming their babies and I bet they know what they're doing is wrong.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:18 PM

I think instead of trying to get students to stop things, like having sex which they will have, or the million years old biological drive to reproduce, we should instead offer them more options. Hope for one. If we spent some of this road construction money, or some other mismanaged funding, on insuring all our local students could go to college, debt free, just based on merit alone, with government funding to ACCD or UTSA for example, if our city and school districts partner with them, then we would have invested in something, a more educated population.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:26 PM

I think abstinence education is a complete waste of money, but that's another topic. I think schools should invest in career education for those who are not planning to and probably never will go to college. Some kids come out of high school ready to be electricians, mechanics, and welders and those aren't bad paying jobs.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:32 PM

Abstinence messages, as well as oh noes have an abortion so it does not ruin your education and career, are two extremes I wish society could find a way to avoid. Women should also not have to be penalized academically or career wise just for choosing to have a child. Society has to find a way to accommodate, though I have no idea how.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:35 PM

I think the answer is using condoms and birth control. I also have my negative views on abortion, but that is too another topic. Career Point offers an on-site daycare! LOL

Old 10-12-2010, 11:42 PM

I think we just need more choices. When people are not given choices they do what is natural. There is no evolutionary advantage in having a strategy that delays childhood. The world will be filled with their children while some who chose school and career (why do women even have to choose between children and careers?) might never have children. Their evolutionary strategy failed even if they lived a comfortable and lonely life. So if people do not have the option to go to university without worries then they will do what the body tells them is natural. People by default will have children if they do not have reasons not to. Too many do not see college as a realistic opportunity and it is simply this that needs to change, they need to see it as an available option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio