Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 08:33 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times

Advertisements

If you want to avoid hate speech and intolerance, which to some conservatives is just second nature, talking bad about homosexuals, about Muslims, about immigrants, about minorities, about liberals...then yes avoid some people and protect your children from their viewpoints.

They might not even realize that others might be offended because many just talk like this naturally with off the cuff remarks that will make you cringe. This is still Texas after all and we have a way to go before we fully turn blue.

Surely not all conservatives are like this but there are enough here who are where such talk is commonplace if they feel everyone feels like them. It is easy to just be quiet, not speak politics in public, then have to put up with this because they think you are one of them. That is not the kind of people I want for neighbors but in some industries you cannot avoid this type.

I might be Mexican but I look white and some never know because they never ask and just assume. I have heard some truly sad comments. I will give one example, a construction worker died while part of a road crew, something fell on him, I think a sign, and someone who I was supervising told me at least it was a Mexican so who cares.

The devaluing of life is not something I can ever accept but I said nothing and just left that site and continued on my duties. Glad he did not last long with the company either way and I am not the type to try and get people in trouble either. Since it was just me and him I let it alone. Debate? Why bother. Just change the subject and speak about something different.

Times have not changed. My grandfather had red hair and blue eyes and would enter barbershops in South Texas, when Mexicans were not allowed in certain public places not so long ago, and they would do the same with him, start bad mouthing, then he would reveal who he was, cuss them out in Spanish and English, and then they would kick him out. Free haircut aka a Chicano haircut. He liked to get into lots of trouble and never stopped even when he was quite old.

You really don't want to be labeled 'the liberal parents' in any neighborhood, they might be nice to your face, but with such a label imagine how some will really feel about you?

Last edited by Merovee; 11-02-2010 at 09:09 AM..

Old 11-02-2010, 09:33 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
It's funny - but I got my moniker many, many years ago when I went in the Navy. It was given to me by guys from up north that presumed that being from Texas, I was a klanner. Funny thing was, I'd never even MET a klanner (to my knowledge), and knew nothing of them other than what we learned in school during history lessons.
I don't care what you are - I care who you are. And are you going to sit there and tell me that there's not the same jokes among hispanics about whites/other races??? The same amount of racism??? I've been to black nightclubs - it's interesting some of the "cracker" comments/jokes you hear.....many of which are funny as the dickens!
So, please - try to be a bit more cognizant that it can affect ALL of us, and rather than get all worked up about it, try to find a way to minimize it. And if you run across a real bigot, don't rise to the bait!

Old 11-02-2010, 09:36 AM

I can only offer my experience as a lifetime resident who has family going back to the 1800's in Texas.

Not sure I would consider all I heard as just jokes or a comedy routine. Definitely not entertaining in the least. And yes it is just best to ignore such people.

Also 'real bigots'? Is that like a 'real bigfoot'? A mythical creature that doesn't exist?

Old 11-02-2010, 09:45 AM

Well, since my family got here in the 1800's as well, we've both got a lot of history in the area. My great-grandfather founded Alamo Tank (a cooperage), and our family has managed to get around quite a bit.
I guess my point is that ALL of us have prejudices to a given degree. I actually feel sorry for those of WHATEVER race/political outlook/social outlook that can't get past their own prejudices, because they're missing out on the *real* richness of life. When I was President of a large civic group in SA, I opened my first board meeting with: "Folks, let me explain one thing to you - you're going to hear jokes from me, and I'll be listening for yours. The day we can't laugh at ourselves, then we are a poorer country!" My board was over 70% Hispanic, and we had a phenomenal year. We didn't care who/what you were, we cared about what you did.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:54 AM

So you are saying you have never heard the comments I have heard? And if you have did you consider them just jokes?

It is like you are saying this doesn't exist, I know it does, and while things are getting better because such remarks are frowned upon, can lead to consequences in the wrong places, it is certain even the most die-hard bigots know when to stay their tongue and get along and have a good time with others....still when they think they are among their own their real side comes out.

I mean when someone says there is racism and someone claims up and down there is not the person who claims there is not is usually the racist. Not accusing anyone but this is just an observation. They know it is wrong, I just hope more of them realize it and don't pass on that trash to their kids because that is how it continues from generation to generation. I do know things are getting better and many reject their parent's ways of thinking. I have faith in the future but I know what world we live in now, not as bad as when we were not allowed in the same places, which in South Texas that lasted in some areas up until the 70's.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:13 AM

6 posts, read 5,907 times
Tobin Hill, Alta Vista, South Town (Lavaca/King Williams) Perhaps even Monticello would all have something to fit your price range. Tobin Hill would probably be your best bet as far as type of neighborhood/ people you would wish to live around, but I do not know if they would have anything as large as you want. These areas tend to be the most walkable, bike friendly, and convenient to downtown San Antonio. I think moving to San Antonio would surprise you as you will discover it has quite a progressive art scene, a growing foodie culture, and plenty of local entertainment.
We have two decent college radio stations, one focusing on jazz and indie music, the other has a more regional format focusing primarily on Americana and roots style music. Our public radio station is quite admirable. The population is mostly Hispanic, and there is a quite noticeable Mexican influence on the city that makes quite different than most other U.S. cities but perhaps similar to other cities you may have visited or lived in in the Southwest.
San Antonio is no Portland, or Austin at that matter, but is one of my more favorite cities that I have lived in/visited etc.
The people are very genuine and friendly, no one is trying to culturally "out cool" each other as is the situation you may find in cities like Portland, Austin, or Brooklyn. In that aspect, it makes it so much more laid back and perhaps similar to the easy going attitude of New Orleans, only a little more reserved. Since you do have a family, you would be happy to know that San Antonio is family focused, so there are many events, even hip events like SmART Fair (and many others) have that mix of children's activities whilst a twenty something punk band plays live in the background. Also San Antonio is so affordable. I recently moved to San Antonio from the Austin area, it was very easy to find my niche, everything we did in Austin we do here, the front yard organic garden, back yard chickens, riding everywhere around town on a bike. This town is fun and easy, look forward to finding out your decision.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:16 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallthus View Post
First off, thanks to everyone for the great input on neighborhoods!

We know that compromise will be in order, as it'll be impossible to find everything we're looking for, no matter where in the world we wind up. A really good school, for instance, makes up for a longer drive to the grocery.

As for "what's a walk score"? Check here...(Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address)...there's really quite a lot of things it checks for, but, as with any automated system, you do need to do a reality check. It's good for comparing areas, but not so good for comparing addresses within an area. (For instance, my parents' home gets a decent 59, but that's partly a byproduct of it counting the snack bar at the local driving range as a restaurant(?!?!?!).)

As to "why" we're looking for a "liberal neighborhood", it's about our kids. Just as many other families feel it's important for their children to grow up around people with similar ethnic or religious views, we feel it's important for our children to grow up around people that value the same things we value...tolerance, environmentalism, etc.

Based on our experiences, these things are more easily found in areas that tend to be more liberal. That's not to say that all people in any given area are of any particular political, religious or philosophical bent. Just as some have pointed out in this thread, sometimes "liberals" can be as narrow and judgmental as "conservatives". It's just that, as a family, we'd prefer to error on the side of what we consider caution and not find ourselves surrounded with people with diametrically opposing worldviews.

Of the things we're looking for, the one thing we're most willing to give up is square footage. With our daughter already away at college, we don't need a full en suite bedroom for her anymore, for instance.

Again thanks all...you've given us some ideas to ponder and pursue!

It's funny, the biggest surprise revelation to me over the years has been that conservatives seem to actually do more for the environment in their everyday living than any liberals I ever lived near/with/around in my young adult life. I had no idea. Just plain ol' ordinary people recycling, composting, and reusing.

Just food for thought.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:17 AM

Look - call it whatever you will, racism is going to exist. You exhibitted it yourself in some of your earlier comments when you said "which to some conservatives is just second nature". Rather than "call" you on it, I let it slide - simply because doing otherwise will gain nothing. Because I see/hear the same kind of discussions all over. What I do is try to engage in debate and at least get them to see that there can be another side. Will I change their minds? No more than I'll change yours - but hopefully I can at least get them to consider that there may be more than one opinion.
When it comes right down to it, SA is actually a pretty liberal city in terms of the politics when compared to others - yet many decry how "conservative" it is. Really? Not in my mind - but others will not agree....and that's cool.
It's like me "adopting" my "redneck" moniker - rather than argue, I'd just as soon not let it bother me and just move on. I don't care what your race, religion, or political affiliation is. If I think you're wrong about something, it's going to be based on my thoughts/beliefs, NOT on who you are. Folks are WAY too anxious to toss labels on stuff because it's more expedient than actually discussing/debating the issues.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
"which to some conservatives is just second nature"
That is not racism but partisanship.

Unless conservative is now a race?

I can also admit I grew up with racist attitudes from my family, friends, etc....it is something I have worked on and will continue. I am not going to sit here and deny that. Mexicans can be very racist even among their own ingroup, that is lighter skin Mexicans looking down on those with darker skin, or those with darker skin looking down on those with lighter skin. The best way to overcome racism is to realize it does exist, inside of each of us, then to move forward. Denying it does nothing.

I also recall the Eid Festival thread where some just refused to associate with Muslims, plain and clear, stated outright. Not sure if that is racism or not but it is what it is. There is always 'limits' I guess.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:32 AM

Switching gears now since I don't want to debate just share my view and my views on the above topic are exhausted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Frederick View Post
We have two decent college radio stations, one focusing on jazz and indie music, the other has a more regional format focusing primarily on Americana and roots style music.

San Antonio is family focused, so there are many events, even hip events like SmART Fair (and many others) have that mix of children's activities whilst a twenty something punk band plays live in the background.
I love Indie Overnight on 91.7 and it also streams on the internet if you are not in town, as well as archives, my wife loves the Jazz they play in the day. I miss my KSYM from the 1980's when it was truly Your Only Alternative.

As far as art fairs we also have Luminaria and next years is going to be bigger than ever.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...106424828.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio