U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-18-2010, 08:56 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,334,979 times
I have to agree with LindaGrace...other than the legion of mega churches, gun shows and Vote for Bush bumper stickers Moderator cut: see comment and McCain/Palin bumper stickers (ditto), being stuck in the Republican of Texas is tolerable. Except for the bugs, which do -- on occassion -- carry tiny bibles on their backs and McCain/Palin bumper stickers on their rears. Sigh. Have I mentioned how much I hate bugs??

Last edited by Bo; 10-18-2010 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: You can list 'em, but you don't get to use your list as an excuse to rant about 'em.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,428 posts, read 20,534,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
I have to agree with LindaGrace...other than the legion of mega churches, gun shows and Vote for Bush bumper stickers Moderator cut: see comment and McCain/Palin bumper stickers (ditto), being stuck in the Republican of Texas is tolerable. Except for the bugs, which do -- on occassion -- carry tiny bibles on their backs and McCain/Palin bumper stickers on their rears. Sigh. Have I mentioned how much I hate bugs??
That's quite a laundry list of things that can't be discussed in a local forum at City-Data. Fair warning to anyone tempted to grab one of those tangents and go off on a rant about it... listing them is as far as we can go here.

Last edited by Bo; 10-18-2010 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: updated quote to match original

Old 10-18-2010, 09:17 PM

3,970 posts, read 4,220,041 times
Actually, I rather enjoy the various viewpoints expressed by ALL sides of a debate. Rather than worry about a bumper sticker I disagree about, whether a new church is being built, or even whether someone is exercising their personal, constitutional rights - I prefer to engage them, gather their viewpoints, and share my own.
We won't always agree, but in most cases we will agree to respect the views of each other - and THAT is what makes SA so unique, IMO - we can still debate with reserve and diplomacy.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:48 PM

2,777 posts, read 2,227,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
"Where's a nice place to raise a liberal family?"

Central Austin.
Central Austin? While Austin has it's hipster liberal scene...it is hardly any more liberal than San Antonio. After all, Rick Perry does live there.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:50 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,176,080 times
Lavaca would fit the bill. It's not easy but you can find fully restored historic homes in that price range (tho they'll be small) and our local K-8 is top knotch (the HS not quite, but it's bound to be in a few more years. What's made the elementary advance is local parental involvement), and it's walking distance to downtown. I also don't find our property taxes to be exorbitant. Other near-downtown neighborhoods have similar options and lower house prices, although the public schools are not quite on the same par yet with Bonham.

That said, if you have a similar option in Portland, I'd take that in a minute unless the weather and a house are major factors for you. But if you end up in SA, we do have neighborhoods for you. In Southtown (Lavaca/King William/SoFlo) it's easy to think everyone is a tree-hugging/artist/atheist/liberal ;-). Not all are, there are indeed all types here, but in general liberal-mindedness is more common than not.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:45 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,284,896 times
You might be able to get into a loft in Southtown as well, there are a few off S. Flores. They have better security than a home and less upkeep.

As far as San Antonio it is quite moderate, as far as the politicians the liberals are not that progressive and usually side with business and the conservatives are not as radical or backward thinking as some of the national Tea Party figures can be seen as. For instance someone like Sharron Angle would never be able to get elected here much less win a primary.

Some of the regular people who are conservatives might spend all day talking politics and complaining but most people it seems are apolitical and just do not care and talk about all kinds of other things.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:49 PM

10,073 posts, read 9,487,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
"Where's a nice place to raise a liberal family?"

Central Austin.
It bothers me when people make this type of comments,
to me it says: "You are one of those, you might want to go to another city"

Give me a break, there's 2 million people here,
there's gotta be a place for everybody here.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:30 AM

418 posts, read 435,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post
Try Mahncke Park, Alta Vista, Tobin Hill, and Lavaca.
Those are all neighborhoods I'd consider, and there are a few others near downtown. I sold a 2,700 sqft house in Alta Vista back in July for $232,400 - beautiful home with swimming pool. The kids are going to private school, though, but the whole family is happy living there, near downtown, Whole Foods, Central Market, Farmers' Markets, arts, and much more.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:03 AM

5,071 posts, read 7,387,650 times
The union of these sets
Quote:
  • Socially and/or politically liberal.
  • Good schools (our sons are 4 and 6, one with some medical, not academic, special needs).
  • Good grocers (Whole Foods, HEB Central Market).
  • Interesting local shopping (boutiques, etc).
  • Good restaurants (preferably not chains).
  • Walkable (walk score 50+)
  • Decent (30 min or less) commute to downtown SA.
results in

Best of luck. Unfortunately Portland is very expensive unless you live out a way from the city center. You'll probably enjoy the politics though, and the weather in summer. Nice views too when the mountains come out.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:40 AM

2,241 posts, read 4,109,241 times
Scuba Steve, not true at all. I would think that northwood, oak park, Terrell heights would all meet those qualifications. Except for the liberal part I would call these areas moderate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio