U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-19-2010, 05:56 PM

6,868 posts, read 12,836,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodLu View Post
RESPONSIBILITY, n. A detachable burden easily shifted to the shoulders of God, Fate, Fortune, Luck, or one's neighbour. In the days of astrology it was customary to unload it upon a star. -Ambrose Bierce

If indeed the guy was just some unknown mal-meaning intruder, I do agree.....

"you have the right to defend yourself".....I do vehemently-agree herein, but I have certainly noticed of others who, by their exasperatingly-vile legislative rhetoric and despicably-unjust enforcement actions, really do seem to think that only A Certain Elite Few hold the exclusive monopoly on Self-Defense.....

"The strongest instinct in every living thing is self-preservation, which brings us to the last of the seven deadly sins-anger. Is it not our instinct for self-preservation that is aroused when someone harms us, when we become angry enough to protect ourselves from further attack?" -Anton Szandor LaVey 'The Satanic Bible; The Book of Lucifer, Chapter 2

Agreed. Words, words, words, words, and words are one thing. Actions, actions, actions, actions, and actions are another. Sometimes too much Endless Talking and Indecisive Rationalizing is just flat-out counterproductively-disastrous, especially right in the heat of the moment.....

"A little less conversation, a little more action!" -Elvis Presley

Haha.....I *love* that No-Nonsense sign {stealz}! I too for years have always been a huge believer in such Irrefutably-Clear Formality to The Court of Common Sense Public Opinion: conveniently greeting anyone and everyone right at the front {and back} door, and windows.......

"Ya Wanna Play, Ya Gotta Pay!" -something I once heard somewhere

"RIF: Reading Is Fundamental" - a LITERACY cause I am passionate about
The minute you started quoting text from the Satanic Bible, you lost me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 06:07 PM

1,131 posts, read 952,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post

Old 10-19-2010, 07:57 PM

10,306 posts, read 9,973,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
The Quran also teaches that killing is allowed in self-defense.

I don't think that the Bible allows killing in self-defense.
Especially since one of the commandments says "Thou shalt not kill" and it doesn't say "except for ...."

Old 10-19-2010, 10:04 PM

3,986 posts, read 4,437,152 times
Actually, Dopo - you're mistaken. It does allow it, because it differentiates between murder and taking anothers' life for a reason. Sometimes ya gotta read the ENTIRE book ta understand it all....and even then they can be confusing!

Old 10-19-2010, 10:32 PM

16,448 posts, read 10,595,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Luke 22:36

Old 10-19-2010, 11:49 PM

4,094 posts, read 6,444,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
The Quran also teaches that killing is allowed in self-defense.

Especially since one of the commandments says "Thou shalt not kill" and it doesn't say "except for ...."
It refers to murder. Not killing in general.

Try not to get into conversations about the Bible unless you've actually read and studied it.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:57 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,461,037 times
So she was asleep in her room, with a gun under her pillow, her room door was locked, but the front one was not?

The guy supposedly waltzed in the front door but then kicked the room door down? Did he just check the door? Found it locked, kicked it in, rushed in to attack her, and she shot him?

Then he turned tail and ran out?

It just seems to me if someone was going to break down a door all their momentum is in getting in, if they got shot during that it would be difficult to simply change course and turn the other way, it sounds like maybe they were fighting, arguing, he saw the gun began to back out, got shot and then ran. It just seems to me someone breaking in is just too focused in going one direction to simply turn around.

In either case only the detective could know what is going on, then the DA, after reading the statements and looking at the evidence.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:17 AM

10,306 posts, read 9,973,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
It refers to murder. Not killing in general.
Try not to get into conversations about the Bible unless you've actually read and studied it.
Since you know so much...
I'm surprised that you don't know that the King James Bible doesn't say "murder" it says "kill".

Old 10-20-2010, 12:50 AM

21,407 posts, read 23,133,246 times
..." Valenzuela had entered her house without warning a few days earlier and kissed her on the cheek, despite her commands for him to leave."

..."She grabbed a handgun from under her pillow, shot once and, as the intruder fled, she continued to shoot at him, the incident report states."

To me, it looks like the man was already running OUT her house, when she shot him 3 x in the back. At that point, he was not a threat to her anymore, but she wanted to kill him. I am not sure if she was acting in life saving "self defense".
He paid a high price for an attempt to give a woman a kiss on the cheek...

Old 10-20-2010, 01:59 AM

5,006 posts, read 4,249,144 times
I'm used to seeing reports of homeowners shooting intruders say something like, "The homeowner is not expected to face any charges." It seems like investigators see something a little fishy and want to check it out. If she's lying about him breaking into her home, then it's going to look like she's hiding something. How many of you sleep with your guns under your pillow? That's not only dangerous, it seems like she was expecting to use it. If she was afraid the man might attack her, then why would she leave her door unlocked?

http://www.rc123.com/texas_castle_doctrine.html

It's true that you should think about your life first, but some people unnecessarily use deadly force. I bet many gun owners without a CHL don't know much about deadly force laws. I know armed security officers who had to go through 30 hours of training with a refresher course every 2 years and they somehow forget that they aren't supposed to point their guns at just anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio