U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-20-2010, 04:50 AM
Status: "just keep scrolling then?" (set 6 days ago)
 
14,609 posts, read 31,123,701 times
Reputation: 6650

Advertisements

I just don't "get" the whole thing, from start to finish. What's the thrill? Sometimes you have to think these guys want to get caught. God knows they will bust you in this town, for sure. It's almost a weekly event for some guy to be seen on the news getting hauled out of a restroom in handcuffs. Many times their career and/or marriage ends at that point. As I said, I just don't get it. Seems like a totally male crime, too, because either women aren't doing it, or they just not getting arrested for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-20-2010, 05:49 AM
 
Location: San Antonio-Westover Hills
6,878 posts, read 18,165,789 times
Reputation: 5152
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I would never want a child to witness something like that. I am not a parent, but if I was...my kids wouldn't be at the park at night unattended.

The article did not specify what time of the day the incident took place but I am assuming it took place during nighttime.
"The freaks come out at night....the freaks come out at niiiiiiiiight...."

Seriously though, sexual deviants don't wait for the sun to go down. Part of the thrill for them is catching regular people, jogging or otherwise enjoying the park, off guard.

I agree with kevcrawford that this can lead to bigger issues with these offenders.

Matt, I have a lot of sympathy for ya, because I remember what my perspective was like before I had kids. I swear, when/if you do have children (and I hope you do, b/c they are amazing) you will not BELIEVE the things you will notice/read/see...it's like the veil is removed and you learn so much more about our world...good and bad. Things you may not even consider now to be such a "huge deal" will all of a sudden be the biggest. It's kinda nuts...LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2010, 06:42 AM
 
Location: SA/Pipe Creek
2,790 posts, read 5,165,059 times
Reputation: 1590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I mean, couldn't they go to CraigsList or gay bars or something? But I digress.

The problem is, what if the cops are lying sometimes? Do they wear wires and record everything that's going on to build a case? I do believe part of it is entrapment.
Why, Soviet? What happens on Craigslist and in gay bars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2010, 06:48 AM
 
1,365 posts, read 3,966,129 times
Reputation: 1487
Just to touch on the "flashing" issue... According to DH there is sooo much more than flashing going on... Yes, it usually starts with a flash and it quickly turns to something much more...

@Mom2Feebs... I so agree how your outlook on life changes when you become a parent... We have 3 kids and started seeing the world thru different eyes when our first was born 14yrs ago... 10 years ago my husband became an officer and the outlook we had has changed even more... We can never fully enjoy ourselves at parks, as he is always scanning the crowd... We have had to leave the mall because a gang banger he arrested downtown was there and he recognized DH... We don't usually enjoy the riverwalk as DH polices there now and instead of seeing the pretty picture of it he sees the place where he stopped a rape in progress or the corner where he arrested a child molester who had escaped from his work release program...

Honestly, I wish I could go back to seeing the world thru a parents eyes instead of seeing things thru a cops eyes, the pictures would be alot prettier and alot less jaded...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2010, 07:14 AM
 
Location: Charleston, SC
5,615 posts, read 12,780,771 times
Reputation: 2528
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
You say that until it's your child that witnesses something like this. "Weirdos" that do something like this are dangerous and it can lead to more perverted and dangerous acts.
Seriously... I don't like sex offenders and am glad that another one has been taken off the streets. Or park - same thing.
Quote:
@Mom2Feebs... I so agree how your outlook on life changes when you become a parent
Or when a loved one is attacked by a sex offender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2010, 08:18 AM
 
5,620 posts, read 6,397,081 times
Reputation: 3588
This thread is starting to make me want to stay indoors forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2010, 09:17 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
4,274 posts, read 6,622,090 times
Reputation: 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Why, Soviet? What happens on Craigslist and in gay bars?
Guys who have gay tendencies would be more apt to act on them in there instead of in PUBLIC FREAKING PARKS.

I'm unsure as to how often these weirdos flash themselves to male kids using the restroom, but it seems to be more often than not that they do it to adults. Adults who just happen to be cops, so they get arrested.

As for how to get these socially inept weirdos to stop looking for sex in parks and in gay bars and CL instead, how the heck do we do that?

I say that we become more accepting of homosexuality and not make it seem to be like a "bad thing" or something of that nature. If these guys were more comfortable with themselves, they can meet someone they like in a more normal setting than a freaking park where they engage in mutual masturbation in a restroom. That 's not as comfortable as a bed at all.

These guys are often married. Why? Because they thought they were straight, because society told them to. If society encouraged gay guys to be gay instead of straight, then this sort of thing would be heavily cut down, I imagine.

Or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2010, 09:29 AM
 
5,620 posts, read 6,397,081 times
Reputation: 3588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Guys who have gay tendencies would be more apt to act on them in there instead of in PUBLIC FREAKING PARKS.

I'm unsure as to how often these weirdos flash themselves to male kids using the restroom, but it seems to be more often than not that they do it to adults. Adults who just happen to be cops, so they get arrested.

As for how to get these socially inept weirdos to stop looking for sex in parks and in gay bars and CL instead, how the heck do we do that?

I say that we become more accepting of homosexuality and not make it seem to be like a "bad thing" or something of that nature. If these guys were more comfortable with themselves, they can meet someone they like in a more normal setting than a freaking park where they engage in mutual masturbation in a restroom. That 's not as comfortable as a bed at all.

These guys are often married. Why? Because they thought they were straight, because society told them to. If society encouraged gay guys to be gay instead of straight, then this sort of thing would be heavily cut down, I imagine.

Or not.

Soviet:

This is not an attack, but I feel the need to say this....

The people doing this are not necessary homosexuals. They are just "weirdos" and mentally unstable idiots. Please becareful sterotyping homosexuals with these so called park weirdos. It makes me angry when people assume just because someone is homosexual that they are molesting kids or flashing people in a park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2010, 09:30 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
4,149 posts, read 9,298,869 times
Reputation: 3308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Guys who have gay tendencies would be more apt to act on them in there instead of in PUBLIC FREAKING PARKS.

I'm unsure as to how often these weirdos flash themselves to male kids using the restroom, but it seems to be more often than not that they do it to adults. Adults who just happen to be cops, so they get arrested.

As for how to get these socially inept weirdos to stop looking for sex in parks and in gay bars and CL instead, how the heck do we do that?

I say that we become more accepting of homosexuality and not make it seem to be like a "bad thing" or something of that nature. If these guys were more comfortable with themselves, they can meet someone they like in a more normal setting than a freaking park where they engage in mutual masturbation in a restroom. That 's not as comfortable as a bed at all.

These guys are often married. Why? Because they thought they were straight, because society told them to. If society encouraged gay guys to be gay instead of straight, then this sort of thing would be heavily cut down, I imagine.

Or not.
Society is not to blame for people being perverts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2010, 09:33 AM
 
3,669 posts, read 5,894,236 times
Reputation: 1788
I agree Soviet.

It is also sensationalism or even hysteria to assume that these men going to parks to meet other men are attempting to flash 'regular people off guard' or worse, that they are rapists or anything like that. This is all considered sexual deviance but one must also differentiate between different types since they are not all the same.

The perception problem with these people hooking up in parks is two-fold, the stigma of homosexuality, which still exists to some extent especially among the older generations, so that homosexuality itself is considered sexual deviance by them, the second part is the actual issue, hypersexuality, which can alter the makeup of the brain leading to more risky choices such as indecent acts in public which is a form of sexual deviance but most of this activity is between consenting adults. It is only improper because it is in the wrong setting.

To assume though that these men are the same as predators or even actual flashers, who usually flash and run without expectation of engagement, is not quite accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top