Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 05:31 PM

40 posts, read 113,632 times

Advertisements

I will be stationed in San Antonio at the Lackland Air Force base for a few months. I would like to know how life is in San Antonio in general and specifically for young people from 18-25. I am a young African American male who likes to dance and party when I get off of work and I would like to know what type of clubs are 18+ that are more hip hop clubs. I do like a mixed crowd when I go to clubs but if there is a majority of any race it won't matter I'll be fine as long as there are girls lol.

Please don't tell me not to attend a club because of violence levels Im from Detroit and if that club has pretty women then I am going lol. Trust me I know how to get out of trouble situations and I know my street smarts from being a inner city kid and I know my general smarts from the military.

Apart from the nightlife what types of special cultural things are there about San Antonio such as:
Best Restaurants?(I don't eat seafood)
Amazing Views?
Cool museums or architectures?
Places that I must see and go to for pictures things of that nature.

Yes I am into soooooo much stuff but women and partying are my primary interest. If you see me i probably look like a skateboarder or a beach go-er because that's sort of my dress style. I don't sag and wear a lot of baggy stuff. Mostly fitted Shirts, skinny jeans, Nike Shoes, and a hat.

Thank you so much for the advice and I look forward to coming and enjoying your city.

P.S. I am excited that i get to be stationed in a city with a million-plus people and great diversity. I love big cities and I have never been to a Southern Town in my Life but hopefully San Antonio is as cool as other cities with a million plus people like Chicago, NY, Philly, Detroit, and much more. So I'm sure San Antonio has a lot to offer like the above cities thanks so much and I look forward to seeing your answers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,941,720 times
I'm too old and boring to provide anything useful on nightlife, but you'll get some folks replying who can help with that department.

Best Restaurants - You'll be happy that there isn't a lot of seafood, since we're not on the coast. How do you feel about Tex-Mex? That's a category that is well-represented in San Antonio.

Amazing View - The Tower of the Americas comes to mind. I like the view from the Botanical Garden, too, but I wouldn't call it "amazing."

San Antonio has 4 of the top 10 tourist attractions in the state with The Riverwalk, The Alamo, Sea World and Six Flags Fiesta Texas. The first two are close together, free and easy to photograph.

FWIW, Texas is not really "southern" as much as it is "western." Many would argue that it is neither of those, but something else entirely. There are threads in which that has been thoroughly discussed, which you're welcome to explore.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:07 PM

40 posts, read 113,632 times
Thanks. The river walk sounds really nice. I'll have to try it at night and during the day. I'll have to look up the Alamo and wow Tex-Mex I haven't heard of it but it's always fun to try new things. The Tower of the Americas seems intriguing as well and I'm excited to come down and visit.

Also is there anything around or close to the base like a mall? and that sort of thing.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:21 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,794,118 times
San Antonio is an excellent city. Check out Maple Gardens and other hill country state parks. There are some wild nightclubs like The Bonham Exchange. They have an annual festival and parade called Fiesta that is really huge. Have fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKKOJ...eature=related

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailthe7seas View Post
Thanks. The river walk sounds really nice. I'll have to try it at night and during the day. I'll have to look up the Alamo and wow Tex-Mex I haven't heard of it but it's always fun to try new things. The Tower of the Americas seems intriguing as well and I'm excited to come down and visit.

Also is there anything around or close to the base like a mall? and that sort of thing.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:26 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuTRbNPlxaU

Old 10-20-2010, 10:29 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3YvJUCbWiI

Old 10-20-2010, 10:31 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsVmgoYqYzo

Old 10-20-2010, 11:19 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,603,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailthe7seas View Post
I will be stationed in San Antonio at the Lackland Air Force base for a few months. I would like to know how life is in San Antonio in general and specifically for young people from 18-25. I am a young African American male who likes to dance and party when I get off of work and I would like to know what type of clubs are 18+ that are more hip hop clubs. I do like a mixed crowd when I go to clubs but if there is a majority of any race it won't matter I'll be fine as long as there are girls lol.

Please don't tell me not to attend a club because of violence levels Im from Detroit and if that club has pretty women then I am going lol. Trust me I know how to get out of trouble situations and I know my street smarts from being a inner city kid and I know my general smarts from the military.

Apart from the nightlife what types of special cultural things are there about San Antonio such as:
Best Restaurants?(I don't eat seafood)
Amazing Views?
Cool museums or architectures?
Places that I must see and go to for pictures things of that nature.

Yes I am into soooooo much stuff but women and partying are my primary interest. If you see me i probably look like a skateboarder or a beach go-er because that's sort of my dress style. I don't sag and wear a lot of baggy stuff. Mostly fitted Shirts, skinny jeans, Nike Shoes, and a hat.

Thank you so much for the advice and I look forward to coming and enjoying your city.

P.S. I am excited that i get to be stationed in a city with a million-plus people and great diversity. I love big cities and I have never been to a Southern Town in my Life but hopefully San Antonio is as cool as other cities with a million plus people like Chicago, NY, Philly, Detroit, and much more. So I'm sure San Antonio has a lot to offer like the above cities thanks so much and I look forward to seeing your answers

Yeah San Antonio is a awsome city it's my favorite city in Texas after Austin for museums you have the McNay Art Museum the Witte Museum there's the Alamo and Missions National Historic Park. You defanatly want to check the Riverwalk if your into Amusement Parks there's Six Flags Fiesta Texas also Schlitterbahn Waterpark in New Braunfels and Splashtown waterpark off I35 in SA i'll post some links on places to check out in SA I go down to SA also you can come up to Austin for a day trip and check it out it's only an hour from San Antonio. I don't know how the club scene is in SA so i'll let someone else comment on it.

Schlitterbahn Waterpark Resort

Splashtown San Antonio

Six Flags Fiesta Texas

The Official Web site for The San Antonio River Walk!

Historic Market Square

McNay Art Museum

Welcome to the Witte Museum in San Antonio, Texas

The Institute of Texan Cultures Home Page

San Antonio Missions National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Sunset Station San Antonio near the Convention Center, Alamo and River Walk Hotels

There's also tubing on the Guadalupe River in New Braunfels

Guadalupe River Official Website | Tubing, Camping, & Activities

for an awsome view of the city check out the observation deck on the Tower Of Americas it also has a revolving restaurant

Tower of the Americas

Sporting events

The Official Site of Minor League Baseball | San Antonio Missions Homepage

THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE SAN ANTONIO SPURS

Here's a few Tex-mex restaurants to try

San Antonio Mexican Food | Tomatillos | Tex-Mex Restaurant

Blank

San Antonio Mexican Food : La Fogata

Old 10-21-2010, 01:14 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,409,191 times
San Antonio is more southwestern like Arizona, Nevada, and New Mexico. I noticed that the older people in San Antonio tend to have southern accents and the younger ones have more neutral accents which I think can be attributed to the change in demographics. I wouldn't call SA diverse. You won't see that many black people unless you're on the eastern part of San Antonio and you have to search for the Asians. San Antonio is less than 7% black according to the 2000 census and only 3.5% Asian; the city is mostly white and Hispanic (mainly of Mexican descent). But interracial dating is very common here.

There is a Tex-Mex restaurant pretty much in walking distance of anywhere. We also have some good southern cooking and barbecue restaurants and some of the people who settled here from Louisiana after Hurricane Katrina opened up some restaurants. Bangkok 54 on Nacogdoches and 410 is my favorite Thai place, but I really haven't tried many.

bgrn198 did a really good job of listing all the attractions. I can't really recommend any clubs because I'm allergic to cigarette smoke and I'm not looking to develop cancer in the future. All bars and clubs (besides private ones) will be smoke-free by Fall of next year though.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:28 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,879,576 times
I've been in your shoes before, albeit a very long time ago; but I've got a few questions for ya...

First, will you be living in the dorms or offbase? If the former, and you have transportation; then don't worry about it because there will be lots of folks similar to you in age who will be more than happy to go out clubbing with you. I PCS'd from the UK to Moutain Home AFB in Idaho when I was 21, and was amazed at how many people befriended me because I had a car!

If you end up offbase, then look for an apartment complex that caters to the younger, single scene. I can't give you any recommendations because I haven't been a part of that scene for several decades; but given our great weather I am sure you'll be able to find folks to hang with around the pool.

But I have to remind you, the drinking age in Texas is 21 and if you are under that then your options will be greatly hampered. I am not aware of any under-21 clubs although they may exist.

I am assuming you are Air Force and if so, you've been here before for basic training. You'll have a good idea of what San Antonio is like, a family- and tourist-oriented town. Honestly, Austin is much better for someone younger like you, we used to drive there back in the late 80s when Bergstrom AFB was still open and just get billeting there while hitting Sixth Street all night. I honestly would not plan on driving back after an all-nighter, it's not really safe for numerous reasons.

Lastly, welcome to Lackland! I retired four years ago but still work on base. If there is any other info I can help with, feel free to ask here or drop me a DM.

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio