U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 04:48 PM

7 posts, read 10,598 times

Advertisements

My husband is interviewing for a job in San Antonio. He would be working in the Fort Sam area. We have two children, 4 and 6, so we are looking for a place with great schools. Our price range is 250000-300000. I keep reading about how horrible traffic is to Stone Oak. From looking online I also like the Fair Oaks Ranch area- but have concerns about the distance. As far as drive time during rush hour how do they compare?

Our current school in Colorado has just 450 students k-5, so I am also a little overwhelmed by the school sizes in San Antonio. Any suggestions as far as schools or districts that have a smaller feel to them? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 12:33 AM

7,002 posts, read 10,297,826 times
Alamo Heights has a very small school district with just one high school and it's also very close to Fort Sam where you don't have to worry about traffic. Alamo Heights is a very safe and quiet, little municipality within San Antonio. AHISD is a very highly viewed school district.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:10 AM

4,277 posts, read 6,665,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
Alamo Heights has a very small school district with just one high school and it's also very close to Fort Sam where you don't have to worry about traffic. Alamo Heights is a very safe and quiet, little municipality within San Antonio. AHISD is a very highly viewed school district.
Yes, I'm also surprised why you didn't look at Alamo Heights, as well. They may have a few draconian rules and artificially low speed limits, but it's nothing that can't be worked around. It really is a beautiful place to live, I would have lived there if it had been up to me and not my parents.

And I just went online and checked out some available homes for sale within your price range, there's quite a few in Alamo Heights. Granted, they will be slightly smaller than homes in the same price range in FOR or SO, but I don't see that as a negative, you'll have smaller electricity bills and whatnot.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:02 AM

6,278 posts, read 9,051,006 times
You might also look in the Garden Ridge and New Braunfels area.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:28 AM

7,002 posts, read 10,297,826 times
But wouldn't that be quite a drive in a lot of traffic?

Old 10-21-2010, 01:50 PM

I had looked at Alamo Heights a little- but the houses were pretty small. I am also used to having a finished basement for the kids in Colorado! I think I will have to look there when we come down and really see. We have been to Alamo Quarry on trips to SA a few times and I love that area. Thanks for the feedback!

Old 10-21-2010, 02:05 PM

5,632 posts, read 6,453,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecm1227 View Post
I had looked at Alamo Heights a little- but the houses were pretty small. I am also used to having a finished basement for the kids in Colorado! I think I will have to look there when we come down and really see. We have been to Alamo Quarry on trips to SA a few times and I love that area. Thanks for the feedback!
Not sure if you are aware of the fact that basements are very rare to come across here in San Antonio (or South Texas in general).

Old 10-21-2010, 02:08 PM

6,199 posts, read 8,672,300 times
Working off of Perrin Beitel (which is a hop skip and a jump...in good traffic...away from Fort Sam) I often drive out towards Shertz/Cibolo for work and actually live closer to 10/De Zavala which isn't that far from Fair Oaks.

With no traffic it takes me 30 minutes to get to Fair Oaks. In traffic it takes 45ish minutes with the worst traffic being at 1604/10. You'll come to a standstill from about Huebner/ De Zavala to 1604.

Now, on the other hand, the 35 area is bad...it is. Not going to lie. The cut off is horrible Like I want to slit my wrists when I have to use it. But, your husband won't be using that too much unless it's for lunch or errands during the day. Driving to/from work could be a headache. I've been stuck in it going to meetings during rush hour, but not nearly as long and as hectic as the Fair Oaks Drive...probably 45 minutes on a bad day. Check out some homes near the 3009 area. Schertz is a very nice family friendly area with great schools. Oh and getting there without traffic takes about 15-20 minutes. Not too shabby.

I don't believe they boast about being the 43rd largest school district in the nation like NISD is...I believe for the most part FO kids are still NISD kids if I'm not mistaken.

But also consider AH and Terrill Hills, those are nice too.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:39 PM

Thanks ashbeeigh! I think it is going to take a trip out and driving around to really get a feel.

And yes MattTX I know about the basements (I grew up in Houston)! I just meant I am used to having extra Square footage beyond the main parts of the house so downsizing would be hard.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:57 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,526,647 times
I would look at northwood or oakwell farms. They are 5 minutes north of ft Sam and feed into northwood elementary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio