U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2011, 10:22 AM

15,062 posts, read 19,621,616 times

Advertisements

My thought of the day comes from listening to the Stephanie Miller radio show:

If you are a woman and something is leaking in your house… please, don’t go around saying “I have a leaking problem”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 11:23 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,897,807 times
All mankind is divided into three classes: those that don't rely on browser add-on spell checkers, those that do, and those that will consult another source whenever in doubt.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:55 AM

258 posts, read 563,491 times
Mark Twain, Eve's Diary
It is in the heart that the values lie. I wish I could make him understand that a loving heart is riches, and riches enough, and that without it intellect is poverty.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:01 PM

"...there was no difference between men, in intelligence or race, so profound as the difference between the sick and the well."

"Whenever you feel like criticizing any one...just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had."

—The Great Gatsby

Old 01-06-2011, 12:27 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,168,693 times
(singing)

... and when I get excited, my little China girl says "Oh baby, just you shut your mouth"

Old 01-06-2011, 08:56 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,499,683 times

Old 01-07-2011, 09:07 PM

I own firearms for self-defense and hope I never have to use them, others own firearms for hunting and I hope they do get to use them, but those who own them in their paranoiac delusion that they will have to use them one day to defend the Constitution against our very own government are clearly living in some conspiracy theory fantasy land.

Spoiler
The same goes for those who believe the federal reserve wants to destroy America, that international bankers want to destroy America, that a New World Order wants to destroy America, or that Obama was not born here and wants to destroy America. Anyone seen Mississippi Burning where the KKK member claims related conspiracy theories? There is actually a history to this type of conspiracy theory that goes back to medieval Spain.

Quote:
Finance was a well-known area in which conversos excelled...

Several Spaniards were later to regret the expulsion of Jewish financiers in 1492, and in the seventeenth century we first meet claims by Spanish writers that the growing wealth of countries like Holland was due in great measure to the help of converso capitals flowing into Amsterdam.

At a later date, the mythical decline of Spain and the consequent triumph of its enemies were blamed on the international Jewish conspiracy. Among the first writers to take this line was the poet Francisco de Quevedo, who claimed that Jewish elders from all over Europe had held a meeting at Salonika, where they drew up secret plans directed against Christendom. The count duke of Olivares was accused, by Quevedo and others, of planning to invite the Jews back into Spain and so undo all the consequences of 1492.

...Anti-converso publicists in the mid-fifteenth century had already suggested that New Christians were infiltrating the Church and threatening to take it over. Conversion, it was argued, had worked their way into the heart of Christian society, into the ranks of the aristocracy and the Church, and were planning to destroy it from within.
The Spanish Inquisition: a historical revision by Henry Kamen pg 32-39

Just replace New Christians (conversos) attempting to destroy Spain with with communist, bankers, and Obama attempting to destroy the Constitution and we can see how this type of thinking has a lineage.

Another little known fact I found in the above book, which a hard copy can be found in my personal library, is that New Christians, which are Jews who converted, and Jews themselves, were only bankers because Spanish law at that time did not allow them to be in other professions and money handling was considered beneath others and not quite influential at that time. Little did they know that it would be quite influential in the future.

There is also this as one reason why some might easily believe conspiracy theories:

Field Guide to the Conspiracy Theorist: Dark Minds | Psychology Today

Old 01-07-2011, 09:11 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,499,683 times
".....a convict-at-all-costs mentality....." –Craig Watkins; Dallas County District Attorney, the first black district attorney in Texas history, who said it permeated his office before he arrived in 2007

Old 01-07-2011, 09:41 PM

"I sat in Huntsville to witness the state execution of my brother's murder, I also listened to a mother cry and realized she didn't raise her son to be a killer."

—Nico La Hood

"Measure success in the number of people we graduate from high school, and not just the number we send to jail."

—Nico La Hood

(http://www.nicoforda.com/blog/2010/03/02/conversation-with-nico-la-hood/ - broken link)

Old 01-08-2011, 07:37 AM

360 posts, read 657,197 times
This thread has truly brought out the quirky bunch in sa-cd. If you post here...you most likely ate your high school lunch in either the band hall, the library; or you sat with the crowd that listened to the cure, the ramones, alt, indie, goth, industrial, or new wave bands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio