Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2010, 03:17 PM

5 posts, read 21,050 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family is moving from Mesa, AZ to San Antonio Texas after Christmas. My husband commutes to his work south of downtown Phoenix, and it takes him 35 - 45 minutes each way every day. We are looking for a rental home in the Stone Oak area (specifically Mountain Lodge right off the 281). He will start work just southwest of Downtown San Antonio at 7:00am and will finish at 4:00pm. Is he looking at a similar commute as his Phoenix commute, or is the 1604/281 intersection so bad that it will take longer? I've heard about the new Super Street, is it making a difference for commutes?

Thanks, any info you have is great. I am nervous about choosing a home without all the information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 03:22 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Welcome to the forum. Here are quotes from an earlier thread that answer your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
I've been pleasantly surprised. You still hit the same congestion, but you're sitting in it for much less time. I've noticed it knock off about 40-50% of commute time. I don't live that direction, but have traveled it a few times during rush hour.

It's not the end solution, but it definitely helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightraven View Post
I've been impressed. I haven't hit rush hour either but my usual commute is much smoother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ok2k View Post
Agree it's made a noticeable difference - and I think it still is only 50% effective as it will be once all the intersections are completely operational.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I've been really enjoying it so far. It's definitely strange, but I'm already used to it. The bald old guy in the 1999 Buick Lesabre sitting at Evans Rd. didn't notice it, though!!! He was just sitting at the light waiting to go straight even though he was supposed to make a right turn onto 281-S and then make a U-turn!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendox View Post
i find the evening commute to be better - but the morning to be about the same. Hopefull the opening of the Stone Oak intersection will help with that.

I love the evening commute home so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendox View Post
I am still pleasantly surprised in the evening.....though scratching my head in the morning. Yesterday was great - with school being out for most of the kiddos.

This morning was atrocious....

Won't go so far as to change my location, just yet. Hopefully soon though
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAggiemom View Post
Amazing improvement on travel north and south at all times of the day. Even when it's bad, it's much better than it was before. They are still working on the intersections so it should get better. South bound will always be a problem. 281 is backed up in the morning long before you get back to Stone Oak.
Cheers to Pape Dawson!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheermomof4girls View Post
I was at Michael's off of 281 today when I got a phone call from my daughter's school, Spring Branch MS. She was having an asthma attack so I needed to get there quickly. It was lunch time and I made it to Borgfeld in 10 min.! I am not a speeder either, so I think the superstreet is working great!

Old 10-24-2010, 03:46 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,699 times
I don't commute down 281 so I can't answer, but I do live in Mountain Lodge and love it here. This is the best neighborhood I've ever lived in and the neighbors are the best I've ever had.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:46 PM
JNA

243 posts, read 735,258 times
From our experience, the heavier morning traffic in Stone Oak starts a few minutes after 7 and ends after 8am in the morning. I think traffic getting to work at 7am should be fairly good.

As far as afternoon, the superstreet has helped end of day commute and if he does leave work at 4pm, I wod think he avoids the worst of the afternoon traffic, which appears to be 5 to 6:30 in that stretch.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:28 PM

5 posts, read 21,050 times
Thank you for your replies! I really appreciate the input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio