Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 07:32 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times

Advertisements

Okay....so am I the only one here that looks at the new recycling containers for the City of New Braunfels, and wonders just what the blazes the City was thinking?!?? These things are HUGE - about 3' x 30+" - yeah, almost NINE SQUARE FEET of floor space - the same size as the trash cans!

Most folks' already leave their trash cans in the driveway because they have limited space in the garage - so now we get to look at TWO cans in the drive! Spent 15 minutes with my councilman on the phone yesterday, and frankly I'm about ready to either run against him myself, or find someone else that wants to - he's about as useless as teats on a boar hog when it comes to his thought process! I kept hammering on him about "what were you THINKING" on these things, and the best he could come up with was "you can request a smaller can".

He kept saying how he "hadn't seen any real problems" with the cans in the driveways. I asked if he'd been in our subdivision, and he commented that he ROUTINELY drives through it. Asked him if he hadn't noticed all the cans sitting by garage doors....he said "Yes" - well D'UH!!! He admitted he wouldn't like it in HIS 'hood - so I asked him "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING TO USE SUCH LARGE CONTAINERS?!?!" Dead silence.....

Locally, I've seen/read nothing but praise for this "new, innovative step" in articles in the Zeitung - then again, they may well have been written by the city and provided to 'em as "info articles"..... Maybe I'm the only one to look at this and be displeased....but I find that hard to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 08:08 AM

487 posts, read 1,117,489 times
They just did what the city of San Antonio did. The 95 gallon carts seem to be the new industry standard. The fact that it will take a month to fill up (with actual recycling material) doesn't seem to matter.
We just negotiated a new contract in my area for a 35 gallon recycling cart. They will be much more manageable and it has the same footprint as the 18 gallon totes we had used in the past. Hopefully our residents will be happy.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:08 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,401,094 times
Does the city have any kind of ordinance against the cans showing in the driveway?

Old 10-27-2010, 08:12 AM

1,276 posts, read 3,824,520 times
No city ordnance that I'm aware of, but your HOA (if you have one) may have restrictions.

I fill my recycling can to the brim every week. The garbage we get away with putting out every couple of weeks.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:21 AM

No city ordnance, and frankly I'd hope it won't come to that. What they DO need, though, is some kind of educational effort to let folks' know that leaving trash cans in the driveway is unsightly and rude to the neighbors.
There's just 2 of us - neither can is in danger of being filled on a weekly basis, except perhaps at Christmas!

Old 10-27-2010, 08:54 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
The rules state the following but unsure how enforceable these rules are and they also seem not written well:

Quote:
  • Place the cart out no earlier than 8 pm the day before collection
  • Place the cart out no later than 6:30 am on the day of collection
New Braunfels, TX - Official Website - Recycling

This is good news that more areas in the region are turning to recycling. It is also likely those who are into consuming/recycling will fill up theirs as we do ours already.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:05 AM

We try hard to minimize any trash - always have. Not to do with any "earth" type movements, but because to me trash means I'm throwing something away - and throwing something away usually means throwing out something we spent money on, and are therefore wasting! You know us tightwad Germans.....

Old 10-27-2010, 09:08 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
FWIW, if the list of items that are recyclable is the same as San Antonio's, you'll probably find each week that your recycle bin is more full than your trash bin. I could never imagine that until we got our bins.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:09 AM

418 posts, read 784,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Okay....so am I the only one here that looks at the new recycling containers for the City of New Braunfels, and wonders just what the blazes the City was thinking?!?? These things are HUGE - about 3' x 30+" - yeah, almost NINE SQUARE FEET of floor space - the same size as the trash cans!
Meh... we have been recycling up in Canada for years with the same
size of bins for both recycling and trash.

Once you get into the recycling you will find as much and sometimes
more goes into that bin than your trash bin.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:12 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
We try hard to minimize any trash - always have. Not to do with any "earth" type movements, but because to me trash means I'm throwing something away - and throwing something away usually means throwing out something we spent money on, and are therefore wasting! You know us tightwad Germans.....
I figured this, which was why I added 'consuming', and well if you consume less and make less waste that is actually more helpful to the environment. Buying so many disposable products all take vast amounts of water to produce to begin with so is quite wasteful.

My guess is you make plenty of homemade meals and maybe even hunt your own food lol well maybe not always but minimizing trash is better than producing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio