U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 05:58 AM

3,929 posts, read 4,686,415 times

Advertisements

SA sure wasn't recession-proof in the 1980's. Maybe some of you weren't around then. It was really BAD!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 06:25 AM

177 posts, read 317,082 times
It's not recession proof now and I'm sick of listening to people say it is. Home prices and values are dropping here... sure, maybe not 50% like other places, but in many areas of SA, people who bought at the top of the so-called bubble are so underwater they cannot sell. Add those people who are just giving up and walking away along with those who never should have qualified for ANY mortgage, let alone a $200,000 one, and many neighborhoods are seeing the consequences. Military people are starting to spread the word to not buy homes here... not unless you plan on staying forever. Otherwise, you will become a landlord in 3 years. Just think what will happen to the housing market here if military people stop buying houses.
Don't even get me started on jobs... sure you can find one... for $8 an hour if you are lucky. We are expected to keep up with rising property taxes to pay for Taj Mahal schools, only kids here don't graduate!

Old 10-29-2010, 06:35 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,898,971 times
As if there are tons of other cities where that is not happening but even worse. Of course many people might complain but that does not make their complaints accurate. If they were somewhere else they would still complain, just more, and have reason.

Quote:
Still, compared to many other markets, the Alamo City is still faring rather well on the home-equity front.

Even among Texas cities, only Austin outperformed San Antonio.
Read more: Recession still taking a toll on San Antonio housing | San Antonio Business Journal

$8 and hour jobs are there, for the taking, no luck necessary.

Vouchers were a sure-fire way to disrupt the school system, they were supposed to offer better educational opportunities, for the most I think some charters are not doing this, but it was a way to attack the school system which some did not approve of for political reasons, they don't like what is being taught, science (+evolution) and all.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:43 AM

6,878 posts, read 18,177,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'll never understand how somebody can "hate" a city.

It is very naive to think that everybody in a city thinks and agrees with their city leaders.
Does everybody in San Antonio think like Mayor Castro?
Would you feel offended if somebody implied that?
I would be offended

I never said I hated San Francisco. Hey, San Francisco can be a fun place to visit. Beautiful views and lovely architecture. The people though....for the MOST part...ugh. Self-importance is considered a quality there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
I guess those running the survey were not smart enough to see that?

I call error!
I was just pointing it out to folks that didn't see the pattern. *shrugs*

Old 10-29-2010, 06:43 AM

15,062 posts, read 19,628,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywithstick View Post
How many first generation college students does SA have in comparison with other cities?
In my house, we were 4 (2 sons) and I was the last one to get a college degree and learn a 2nd language (That makes me the loser of the house)

Old 10-29-2010, 06:47 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,793,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
People who frown on San Franciso are just Sarah Palin types.
This isn't the daily joke thread, but thanks for the laugh.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:05 AM

5,142 posts, read 11,446,140 times
Quote:
How many first generation college students does SA have in comparison with other cities? A lot of us in the Latino community, myself included, did not have parents who attended college. I really do believe that this is a contributing factor to San Antonio's low college enrollment and graduation rates. My parents are *extremely* supportive of my desire to achieve higher education; however, they are unable to impart knowledge about how to navigate the college experience because they didn't go through it themselves. My parents came to this country from Mexico (legally) hoping to provide better opportunities for their children than they had. With their emotional and financial (but not academic) support, I have attained a Bachelor's degree in Business and am currently pursuing a Master's degree in Counseling. If I do attain my Master's degree, not only will I be the first person in my immediate family to do so, but also in my extended family as well. I don't say that to brag but to point out that I didn't have many people in my family to turn to when I needed help with academic/college type issues. So I personally know that someone can attain a degree without their parents having gone to college and am not trying to make excuses for those who can't do it, but I think it's just a bit myopic to think that it's not a tad more difficult.!
I have a bachelor's degree in business too and I'm a first generation college grad in my family. Now I work in a program for first generation college students and all the staff are as well! I'm glad your parents were there for some support, I had none at all! They are the types to say, "You go figure it out!" lol. My mom dropped out of high school and my dad is from Mexico (he's now a US Citizen) and I'm not sure where extended family can be located so I had to depend on the internet (college's website) and the school staff and my own determination. I wish I had some kind of support though and the kids we work with sometimes have parents that are not supportive so staff have to fill in those shoes in the college support aspect.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:16 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,013,609 times
Quote:
some people with degrees may be very academically intelligent ("book smart") but may lack common sense. Other people without degrees might be very skilled/intelligent in other ways but maybe didn't excel in a school environment and either dropped out of high school or graduated high school but decided not to pursue higher education.
I agree that there are very intelligent people without college degrees.

And there's people like myself, who have common sense, two college degrees, STREET SMARTS, and book smarts.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:19 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,013,609 times
While I may not agree fully with the way this Daily Beast did their research (or lack thereof) to determine the dumbest cities in America....as someone who is born and raised here, there is so much illiteracy in this city (and it's not all their fault either - the educational system is partly to blame too). I think the Daily Beast should have titled it the "most illiterate cities" in America. To me, "dumbest" has a more negative connotation.

I don't think you'd meet anyone who would say San Antonio is a mecca of higher-education with world institutions of academic learning. We have lots of poverty, high illiteracy rates, and an educational system favoring the well off (Alamo Heights students versus East side/West side students) in SA.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:32 AM

25 posts, read 128,981 times
I agree with UTSA faculty member Lloyd Potter

San Antonio is mainly a tourist city home to the Riverwalk, Alamo, Six Flags, Sea World San Antonio and home of the famous South Texas Medical Center Area.
One of the largest in the Southern United States ranking 3rd and
The STMC is the one of the busiest medical centers in the Southern United States with 5 million outpatient visits in 2008

[LEFT]The methodology used was questionable, said state demographer Lloyd Potter, a UTSA faculty member. Moderator cut: remainder of copyrighted excerpt

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/San-Antonio-Not-as-dumb-as-they-think-728269.php#ixzz1AAv3C6lL
[/LEFT]

Last edited by Bo; 01-09-2011 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: Post no more than 2 sentences of and a link to copyrighted articles please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio