U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 10-31-2010, 07:56 PM

242 posts, read 362,296 times
I just hope the OP found what he/she was looking for.

Unread 10-31-2010, 09:20 PM

552 posts, read 605,433 times
Some people just don't get into Halloween for whatever reason THEY so choose. Does it make them weird, or their alternative plans for the holiday weird? No. Some folks just rather do something more tailored to their faith/practices.

Many Christians spend New Year's Eve in church because they rather ring in the new year "in the spirit". I don't see that as "public protest", lol. Fall festivals or the likes aren't "public protests" on the holiday, just an alternative approach to celebrating.

Halloween like most every American holiday is watered down and more "consumer centric" than anything else.

This forum cracks me up...lol.

Unread 10-31-2010, 09:35 PM

212 posts, read 1,047,133 times
Below is an couple of articles from Chick Publications about Halloween, there are others out there but it had some references to do further study; the latter article was written by a former clut member. My husband is a minister and he did a study when we were living in Germany several years ago. Feel free to ask any more questions!!

Halloween
Kid's Treat or Pagan Trick?
Many Christians celebrate holidays, such as Halloween, without thinking about their origins or true meaning. It is impossible to separate Halloween from the Druids because they originated the "holiday."

Moderator cut: remainder of copyrighted article

References:

Celebrations - The Complete Book of American Holidays, Robt. J. Myers, (Doubleday & Co., 1972).
The Famous Druids, A. L. Owen, (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1962).
The American Book of Days, George William Douglas, (H.W. Wilson Co., 1948).
The Two Babylons, Rev. Alexander Hislop, (Chick Publications, 1998).

Should Christians Celebrate Halloween??
By William J. Schnoebelen

An old proverb says, "When you sup with the devil, use a long spoon." Presumably, NO genuine Christian would want to sup with the devil at all and yet many may be doing so in ignorance. Moderator cut: remainder of copyrighted article
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In his book, Lucifer Dethroned, author William Schnoebelen describes his search for spiritual power that led him on a journey from simple witchcraft to blood-lust vampirism that was only terminated years later by the cleansing blood of Jesus. His book will help you avoid or escape occult involvement and lead others out of similar bondage.

Last edited by Bo; 11-01-2010 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: Per TOS, don't post long excerpts of copyrighted articles. Post 2 sentences and a link instead.

Unread 10-31-2010, 09:47 PM

4,306 posts, read 3,121,099 times
Who cares about who doesn't celebrate Halloween and why? Some people just don't want to celebrate it and they aren't bothering you. Just leave them alone. The OP just asked for alternative events. If you don't know of any, then leave it at that. Talk about being open to different beliefs......

To the OP, there are absolutely no police reports in American history documenting anything being put in Halloween candy except for a couple of times when it was done by family members for insurance money or to get back at a spouse. The only creatures who need to worry are black cats.

I agree with Dreadlockd. Most American holidays have become secular and have little meaning because of corporations looking for another buck. Most kids probably don't even know that Christmas is meant to celebrate Jesus' birthday; the only thing they care about is getting presents and people will max out their credits getting them.

Last edited by L210; 10-31-2010 at 09:57 PM..

Unread 10-31-2010, 10:14 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,216,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikip View Post
Is this something you want YOUR child to participate in?
Short answer: Absolutely

Lordy Nitpick, that's a whole lot of something carved out of a whole lot of nothing. My kids did participate in Halloween tonight. They dressed up as fairy tale characters, went trick or treating, ate a bunch of candy and had fun hanging out with the neighbors. Surprisingly enough, the kids made it through the entire holiday without sacrificing any animals, raising the dead or worshiping the devil.

I always find the argument about Halloween's grisly past rather amusing. Tell me, have you ever tried to explain Easter to a 5 year old?? I think crucifixion and the stations of the cross are much more gruesome than some old jack-o-lantern.

A little friend down the road cannot celebrate Halloween or any holidays for whatever reason. That's the parents' choice of course, but seeing that poor boy slump back into his house while the rest of us went trick or treating just broke my heart. All this nonsense about Halloween being some pagan ritual and drudging up "facts" from events that occurred in - what - the 14th century is just ridiculous. Let the darn kids be kids while they can and get some free candy. If you must argue about something...argue about tooth decay and the possibility that Reese's peanut butter cups are, in fact, addictive.

Unread 10-31-2010, 10:30 PM

Unless he's a Jehovah's Witness, his parents could have taken him to a church event.

Unread 10-31-2010, 11:18 PM

3,608 posts, read 2,896,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Wow, and here I thought Halloween was a harmless holiday where kids (big and small) like to "trick-or-treat, wear costumes and attending costume parties, carve jack-o'-lanterns, take ghost tours, build bonfires, go apple bobbing, visit haunted attractions, commit harmless pranks, tell ghost stories or other frightening tales, and watch horror films."

No, wait, that's exactly what it is; and unless you practice pagan rituals on that night, you are no less a [insert religious preference here] than anyone else.
Thanks for this post since Halloween is now a secular holiday for most.

I just want to add that pagans are not evil in case anyone thought that. Also some Christians do practice witchcraft and are still Christians. There are many examples but the one I offer is from the documentary Jesus Camp.

In it they have children smash cups which represent this country, or more specifically represent those in it who want to teach science in science class (theory of evolution), so smashing the cups is symbolic of smashing these ideas or persons, simple but it is nothing more than 'sympathetic witchcraft".

Sympathetic magic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikip View Post
Chick
I suspect the OP knew exactly where they would be celebrating their 'harvest time' and just wanted to start a conversation to have a platform to slam us with that. Preaching, eh?

In either case I have tons of Jack Chick publications and even a copy of The Two Babylons.

I am intimately familiar with this culture, grew up in it. My assessment is Jack Chick is nothing but scare tactics, intolerance, and unacademic tripe.

Not all Christians are into fear tactics though. Just the most vocal it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
Unless he's a Jehovah's Witness, his parents could have taken him to a church event.
It is still sad and at the end of the day it is about avoiding the world (society) and in fear of it, and not participating, fear of hell, fear of living fully (in my estimation) and it can all lead to anxiety.

Nothing sadder than a child who wants to dress up in a costume (for school, for ToT) and cannot. Or a child who wants presents and a Christmas tree but his parents don't believe in Christmas trees because they are evil too because druids made human sacrifices on them. Still they see all their friends and peers getting to live and enjoy life normally.

Also on a side note I find it humorous when persons who are seemingly conservative or right-wing not understand this part of Christian culture, even dismiss it, when in the end them and many of these type of Christians will end up voting for the same candidates. Yeah most Christians who find Halloween evil mostly are conservative right-wingers.

I have nothing against alternate holidays or celebrations but frown when one group declares another group evil including their customs especially if based on fear tactics. This is also how they get us to dislike Muslims.

Last edited by Merovee; 10-31-2010 at 11:39 PM..

Unread 10-31-2010, 11:33 PM

Anyone can call themselves a Christian, it really doesn't make them a Christian. Witchcraft/sorcery is condemned in the Bible.

Are you going to say that it's sad that Jewish and Muslim kids can't celebrate Christmas? That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. I don't celebrate Hanukkah because I'm not Jewish; do you feel sorry for me? What's so sad is the consumerism displayed in this thread. Just because corporations make up some holidays or traditions for us to have fun (spend more money), it doesn't mean we HAVE to celebrate them. There are plenty of other ways for these kids to have fun; but OMG, we have to do something because everyone else is doing it. We have to be like everybody else. If that's the mentality you want to pass onto your kids, then so be it.

Last edited by L210; 10-31-2010 at 11:41 PM..

Unread 10-31-2010, 11:45 PM

3,608 posts, read 2,896,571 times
Well that is a good point. Still Halloween is not religious but secular now. Also I doubt Jews are calling Christmas evil and using it as a reason to not celebrate it.

My only qualm is the misinformation and fear mongering that leads to anxiety, personality disorders, and a us-vs-them attitude.

If you don't want to celebrate fine, just don't go distorting history, bad mouthing contemporary pagans by calling them evil or associating them with SATAN or human sacrifice, etc...

Halloween is celebrated at school and when one kid cannot celebrate cause of the above I do find it sad as they do too. I was one of those kids >_<

Last edited by Merovee; 10-31-2010 at 11:55 PM..

Unread 11-01-2010, 12:04 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,216,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
Anyone can call themselves a Christian, it really doesn't make them a Christian. Witchcraft/sorcery is condemned in the Bible.

Are you going to say that it's sad that Jewish and Muslim kids can't celebrate Christmas? That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. I don't celebrate Hanukkah because I'm not Jewish; do you feel sorry for me? What's so sad is the consumerism displayed in this thread. Just because corporations make up some holidays or traditions for us to have fun (spend more money), it doesn't mean we HAVE to celebrate them. There are plenty of other ways for these kids to have fun; but OMG, we have to do something because everyone else is doing it. We have to be like everybody else. If that's the mentality you want to pass onto your kids, then so be it.

seriously? I...I... ah forget it...I'll just shake my head in bewilderment at that rant-o-caraaazzzzy and leave it at that.

You're making this waaaaaay more complicated than Halloween was every meant to be. Throw on a clown nose, enjoy a much-needed sugar high and lighten up already. Jeeesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio