U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-03-2010, 09:03 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,218,650 times
I just can't believe perry was reelected. That good old boy network must be tightly wound...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-03-2010, 09:19 AM

8,225 posts, read 11,567,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
I just can't believe perry was reelected. That good old boy network must be tightly wound...
And if White had one there would be accusations that the liberals manipulated things.

Honestly, over a half a million more voters chose Perry (2.7-million votes good for 55% of the total vote, versus 2.1-million votes or 42%). Obviously the people felt that Perry has been doing and will continue to do a good job as governor. He not only completed Bush's term, but also has been reelected to three full 4-year terms himself. That's unprecedented in this state, and he already was the longest-serving governor in its history.

That is how democracy works, the majority decide and if you're not in the majority you just have to accept it; but even White had the decency to congratulate Perry on his victory! Maybe some of his supporters can learn something from that...

But I did find it interesting that White barely won the vote in Houston (Harris County) (50% vs 48%) where he claimed to be so well loved. Apparantly he's not as well liked there as he thought!

Last edited by majormadmax; 11-03-2010 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: typo!

Unread 11-03-2010, 09:23 AM

4,307 posts, read 3,133,960 times
Then why do we have term limits? Why don't we just get rid of all the term limits and let voters decide? We could've had former Mayor Hardberger until he croaked. LOL

Unread 11-03-2010, 09:25 AM

768 posts, read 722,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
And if White had one there would be accusations that the liberals manipulated things.

Honestly, over a half a million more voters chose Perry (2.7-million votes good for 55% of the total vote, versus 2.1-million votes or 42%). Obviously the people felt that Perry has been doing and will continue to do a good job as governor. He not only completed Bush's term, but also has been reelected to three full 4-year terms himself. That's unprecedented in this state, and he already was the longest-serving governor in its history.

That is how democracy works, the majority decide and if you're not in the majority you just have to accept it; but even White had the decency to congratulate Perry on his victory! Maybe some of his supporters can learn something from that...
Maybe it was the hair.....

Unread 11-03-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Maybe it was the hair.....
Who wants an ugly governor?!?

Unread 11-03-2010, 09:55 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,870,287 times
I wouldn't care if he/she/it had three eyes and looked like Phyllis Diller as long as they would just quit screwing with the State Higher Ed. budget and TRS!

Unread 11-03-2010, 10:07 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,218,650 times
Quote:

But I did find it interesting that White barely won the vote in Houston (Harris County) (50% vs 48%) where he claimed to be so well loved. Apparantly he's not as well liked there as he thought!
oh don't go getting your panties all in a bunch. Democracy also affords me the right to voice MY unhappiness with MY government. You'll just have to accept that.

And we could easily twist those numbers around and mention that over one million people are clearly UNhappy with Perry and believe he is not doing a good job. Another tidbit you'll just have to accept.

Unread 11-03-2010, 10:09 AM

6,621 posts, read 11,569,177 times
Quote:

I will give White this: He and Judges Eckles & Emmett did stellar jobs working together on Hurricanes Katrina, Rita, and Ike. I never saw anything done so efficiently on a bureaucratic level. However, financially he put Houston in a hole, and the current mayor, Annise Parker, is knee-deep in it (though some are saying she was with him for the whole ride anyway, and is only now throwing him under the bus). People in Houston figured out a few things:

1. Light rail in Houston, as it is today, has been an exercise in futility
2. Red light cameras are unconstitutional, and not error-proof
3. Sanctuary Cities aren't all they're cracked up to be

But on the whole, yes, Houston is sick of White.

Unread 11-03-2010, 10:11 AM

3,608 posts, read 2,903,035 times
Perry and the state board of education fail with education (that latter make us a laughing stock to the whole world).

One thing I am grateful for is that Perry said a law like SB1070 is not welcome in Texas. I hope he is committed to this and does not change his stance.

It kind of if a disappointment that the District 23 race was based on mud slinging.

Unread 11-03-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
One thing I am grateful for is that Perry said a law like SB1070 is not welcome in Texas. I hope he is committed to this and does not change his stance.
I wouldn't count on it, for one, ImmigrationWorksUSA is reporting that 25 states--to incldue Texas--have started or will start on similar anti-illegal immigration initiatives over the next year...

Secondly, according to that study, a poll released in early October by the Texas Lyceum found that 55 percent of Texans support an Arizona-type bill.

Lastly, the report also stated that Perry has sent mixed signals about SB 1070. When the measure passed in April, he said it “would not be the right direction for Texas.” But Texas later signed the joint state brief in support of the Arizona law filed in the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court; and Perry now regularly defends Arizona’s “sovereign right” to do whatever it needs to do to get control of illegal immigration (pgs 7-8).

Expect this to be a big issue when the Texas legislature reconvenes in January!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio