U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 08:27 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,107,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
I couldn't imagine living in a country and not exercising the right to vote....
Agreed, we work so hard (and spend so much money) on giving other countries democracy; and the majority of Americans don't exercise the privilege themselves!

I will admit my wife used to hate voting, but I insisted she still do it and now she enjoys the opportunity to have her say!

I know that sometimes the results aren't to everyone's liking; but the principle remains that each person has a voice in the collective decision. Numerous times the outcome has been contrary to my choices, but that only makes me more determined to vote the next time!

Anyone who fails to do so has no right to complain , and after last Tuesday's turnout, that applies to almost two-thirds of our society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 08:35 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,898,971 times
There are numerous reasons for voter apathy but the greatest seems to be that no matter who is in power nothing really ever changes as far as many if not most perceptions go.

Democrats, Republicans, two sides of the same coin. I would have voted Green again, as I did for Nader once, but that just seems to be throwing a vote away and giving it to the Republicans.

Once during the Cold War the Russians were meeting with the Italians. They said something along the lines of, 'Let us meet with the capitalist in charge of industry because they always stay in power, not the politicians, we make deals with them but those guys change everything every few years."

But then nothing really changes as far as most can tell. So with that, yes, everyone has a right to complain, whether they voted or not. They are members of society still and when it comes to the presidency our votes do not really count, the popular vote does not count, only the electoral college, not many know, not many understand, not many care, but we, the voters, do not pick the president.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:59 AM

6,878 posts, read 18,177,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
His point was that it didn't matter if White won Bexar County because he lost the whole state. My point was that this thread is focusing on Bexar County results, so that is why I pointed out White won Bexar County. If I made this thread about statewide results, it would go in the Texas forum. What's wrong with pointing out how Bexar County voted?

Chill. Sometimes threads veer off a bit. It's gonna be okay.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:16 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,013,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd_91 View Post
Rick Perry says he is against big spending government, yet he has spent $600,000 in tax payer money the last two years on a rental mansion for him and his wife.

Rick Perry has voiced opposition to all Federal stimulus money. Yet Texas received 16.8 billion in ARRA funds and used them to balance the Texas budget, without the stimulus funds Texas would not be in the shape it is today.

Rick Perry says Texans want nothing to do with health care reform, yet Texas has the highest percentage of uninsured people, (26.1%) in the nation and would benefit the most.

Rick Perry says Texans are doing great and only getting better yet the poverty rate has rose to 17.3%.

Rick Perry says he supports education, yet refuses to agree to not using federal stimulus money to replace state funds. Meanwhile Texas remains ranked near the bottom in SAT scores and high school graduation rates.

Sure glad we have him for 4 more years.

On a side note, I am bitter he won? Somewhat but I realize this is how the system works and if the people who would benefit from new leadership are unwilling to vote and make their voices count I have no reason to be upset at those who did and got their candidate elected.

BRAAAAAAVOO!!!! Great post! *Standing ovation*

Yep, you said it right!

Oh, and maybe now Texas can secede from the United States like Perry suggested we do! He just thinks he's all bada$# and can run the state all by himself with no federal support. Well let's just see how he will manage to do it WITHOUT RAISING taxes to support a state ALL BY ITSELF.

He's a tool of the wealthy and ONLY CARES FOR THE RICH AND WELL CONNECTED (businesses making lots of $$, and the rich with money). The same thing goes for Kiko-I-am-for-a-23%-tax-on-everything-so-I-can-fatten-the-wallets-of-the-rich-even-more Canseco.

Remember that recent Daily Beast thing that said San Antonio has some of the dumbest people in the country? So too does Texas! Ah......George Bush and Ricky Perry......like two peas in a pod!

Message to Rick Perry: don't force STD vaccinations on my teenage nieces either, you half-wit.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:02 AM

There is a lot of misconception concerning the Electoral College. Wikipedia does a pretty good job of explaining it, but note that generally each state appoints its electors on a winner-take-all basis, based on the statewide popular vote on Election Day (with Maine and Nebraska being the exceptions).

So while not a direct election, the popular vote does impact who eventually gets to be president.

Yes, I know that wasn't the case in 2000 (nor was it in 1876 and 1888 apparantly), but for the most part the American people do chose.

Cheers! M2

Old 11-05-2010, 10:23 AM

Jeez, you folks need to give this anti-Perry stuff a rest!

Honestly, if you believe this state would have been any better under White, then you are as delusional as your comments suggest.

Perry ain’t Saddam, he doesn’t dictate everything that goes on in Texas. And the few matters that the anti-Perry types like to scream about are heavily outshadowed by all the good things he’s done for this state. I challenge you to find any politician whose constituents have agreed with 100% of his or her decisions; and there was nothing in White’s repertoire that suggested he had any better solutions to the state’s most pressing issues.

I would much rather have a proven governor than take chances with someone else. He might not be perfect, but Perry has done well for Texas and if you want proof of that, just compare it to any other state. And I am not talking about just a few areas like education, I am talking overall economic and quality of life. Do that and you’ll see exactly how good things are here, and some of the credit for that goes to Perry!

Old 11-05-2010, 01:00 PM

5,615 posts, read 12,793,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
He's a tool of the wealthy and ONLY CARES FOR THE RICH AND WELL CONNECTED (businesses making lots of $$, and the rich with money). The same thing goes for Kiko-I-am-for-a-23%-tax-on-everything-so-I-can-fatten-the-wallets-of-the-rich-even-more Canseco.
That's in substitution for federal income tax and you know it.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:05 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,898,971 times
How much is 23% of $715,000? Oh wait, never mind, that is the total amount someone tried to snake out from paying the government.

A fair tax is not so fair if it disproportionately affects those who out of necessity use most of their income and wealth in consuming day-to-day items. Secondly, a tax cheat has no business discussing fair taxes.

In either case minorities and the youth typically have lower turnout in mid-term elections. 2012 is predicted to be the end of the world by some, I disagree, but it just might be the end of a certain party, especially if they do anything to antagonize the fastest growing segment of the population. A xenophobic law might just be what antagonizes.

Let us see what some of these vendidos do because their last name alone won't save them.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:21 PM

474 posts, read 760,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
BRAAAAAAVOO!!!! Great post! *Standing ovation*

Yep, you said it right!

Oh, and maybe now Texas can secede from the United States like Perry suggested we do! He just thinks he's all bada$# and can run the state all by himself with no federal support. Well let's just see how he will manage to do it WITHOUT RAISING taxes to support a state ALL BY ITSELF.

Remember that recent Daily Beast thing that said San Antonio has some of the dumbest people in the country? So too does Texas! Ah......George Bush and Ricky Perry......like two peas in a pod!

Message to Rick Perry: don't force STD vaccinations on my teenage nieces either, you half-wit.
$600,000 for two years to live in a home to replace the burnt governor's mansion. Honestly I don't care the least. That isn't much money.

Perry didn't say he wanted the state to secede. He said he understands why some Texans say that. Secede is just an exaggeration of the desire to minimize federal interference. Yes it is an outrageous thing to say, but when politicians open their mouth sometimes outrageous things come out. So what.

Balancing the budget will be tough. But there is NO EVIDENCE that White would have done a good job. His track record in Houston managing its budgets was poor. He took pension funds and spent it on other things. Not smart.

There are many things not to like about Perry. But as usual, he was the lesser-of-two evils candidate. I don't think White would have been a good change. Just a change.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:29 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,169,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
He took pension funds and spent it on other things. Not smart.
Actually, Mr. Perry wants to borrow from the TRS fund to offer continuance of unemployment benefits to TWC recipients....... and TRS may be the one and only good thing that Texas has going any more. It recovered quickly after taking a huge hit and the investments are better diversified now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio