U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 01:31 AM

744 posts, read 667,103 times
Default Anyone know of a cheap or free dentist.

I have a 16 year old son who just started complaining about a toothache last Thursday. I got him an appointment with our Family dentist today (Wednesday) and found out that his tooth had an absess and was infected and needed to be pulled with some other work. The oral surgeon quoted me $1100.00 to do the work. I was going to have to make that work until my son decided that he wanted to wait until next week to have it done so he could play the last football game of this year. I did not like the fact that he was willing to live with the pain for another week but let him make that choice. The only good thing is it bought me time to try and find a more cost effective place. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 01:38 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,114,556 times
There is the UTHSCSA Dental School that seems promising though I have never tried them so cannot accurately give an assessment of their services. I am sure the quality is there, the wait on the other hand might be unacceptable.

My heart goes out to your son.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:52 PM

864 posts, read 1,762,694 times
No suggestions, but do ask the dentist to prescribe an antibiotic if that hasn't been done yet. About 2 months ago I had an infection in a tooth where a root canal had been done many years previously, but not all of the roots were removed and they were growing back or some such thing. Anyway, the pain was to a point that I couldn't concentrate at times. Between the antibiotics (I would say they kicked in within a day to day and a half) and a bit more ibuprofen than is suggested, the pain was manageable until I could get into the endodontist. Good luck and I hope he feels better soon.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:04 AM
Status: "Character is what you do when no one is looking..." (set 25 days ago)

20,134 posts, read 19,880,607 times
$1100??? That includes implant?? I would rather go to Mexico than pay so much money.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:38 AM

744 posts, read 667,103 times
I called UTHSCSA Dental School and will be taking my son there on Monday and will let y'all know how it goes. I was also shocked by the amount the original dentist quoted but I was not there and my wife could not tell me everything the dentist was going to have to do.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I would rather go to Mexico than pay so much money.
I would not recommend for any American citizen to go to Mexico, not now. But yes, that is soooo expensive >_<

Old 11-05-2010, 09:36 AM

4,048 posts, read 6,046,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
$1100??? That includes implant?? I would rather go to Mexico than pay so much money.
Funerals usually run more than $1100. Plus the inconvenience of your family having to travel there to identify your body, pay to have it sent back, etc. Not a fiscally sound idea.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:17 PM

5,125 posts, read 6,563,075 times
My dad just signed up for a prepaid funeral plan and it cost $1,500 with Funeral Caring USA.
Regardless, when going to Mexico, it is better to know someone you trust that can point you in the right direction. My dad is from Mexico (now a US Citizen) and goes all the time for dental work. He comes back alive but he has relatives and what not that can give him advice on where to go for the best work and prices. There's always the gringo charge and the regular charge.
The city data forum has a section for Mexico and they've got some advice on there about dentists.
There is always Care Credit that is a charge account for medical work that you need done, sometimes there is a no interest offer going on which is what I did with my braces. I've seen dentists start to move away from the payment plan option in office because it is much easier to offer the charge accounts instead.
As usual, if you gut says this is too expensive, then a second opinion would be a good idea.
Good luck!

Old 11-05-2010, 06:37 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,034,945 times
$1100 bux for an extraction?

Old 11-05-2010, 10:18 PM

A wisdom teeth will cost more. Is it a wisdom? The OP did mention 'some other work' also needed to be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio