U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 04:04 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,013,320 times

Advertisements

Split the costs of the gifts.

You, and say 2 other people can split a gift and write all three of your names on the gift. In this way, more people pitch in to help you.

That's what we did for my nephews 13th birthday gathering this past weekend. My Dad, me and my brother split two gifts for my nephew which totalled: 400.00. It was a bit much, but he's a very good kid and earned the gifts that we got him!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 08:08 PM

499 posts, read 1,394,725 times
I think it is sad and disturbing the way unemployed and financially stressed folks feel the need to buy gifts for others when they are going through such tough times.

The retailers and their media cohorts are going overboard this year to push the "holidays"!
It's only November 30th, and we already have Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer on CBS, a Shrek Christmas movie on ABC, and NBC has a Rockerfeller Center Christmas special!

The TV and radio ads all seem to be 75% "holiday" related.

Not sure what is going on this year, but with the 24 hour/day media blitz and crazy "Black Friday" store hours (some retailers opening at midnight or staying open all day on Thanksgiving), I am convinced that the corporations think we can just spend our way to a good economy.

It's everywhere all the time and it cheapens the holiday season beyond repair. It's NOT the "Most Wonderful Time of the Year" anymore it's the most ANNOYING time of the year!

Last edited by roncorey1; 11-30-2010 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 11-30-2010, 08:44 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,499,765 times
Consumerist Propaganda, you mean?

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy sh*t we don't need." -Chuck Palahniuk

Old 12-01-2010, 12:08 AM

31 posts, read 64,134 times
If the kids already get a lot, you dont have to give much. When kids are young, even the cheapest of things will satisfy. Kids are creative and can do a lot with very little. I remember being gifted a bucket of army figurines when i was younger and i spent entire days having them fight with each other. Look at your financial position, and make the most logical choice. Your sister is an adult and should understand your position. You're a man and you're the brother with an individualistic mind, so let your sister know that you have different beliefs than hers when it comes to holidays.

Best of luck man.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:46 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,375,046 times
I have my brother and his wife, my 2 sons (and 2 daughter-in-laws), my 2 daughters (and 2 son-in-laws), 3 granddaughters and 3 grandsons. They understand when Christmas is here Grandpa's presents come from the heart and are given with all the love I can give.

They are happy for me to be here to celebrate the Christmas Holidays with the family and all I expect is to see the kids smiles on Christmas morning when the wrapping paper starts flying...

Hehehe and to sit at the head of the table when Christmas dinner is served

Old 12-01-2010, 03:33 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,898,364 times
OK to be honest I am glad we are in December and Christmas is so close.I love the lights especially how Trinity University looks like now but also a few select houses in my neighborhood who have set up stylish and simple displays.

I like shopping. I love the mall and stores.

Admittedly I am not fond of Christmas music played repeatedly but I do love music and find myself humming to almost every song if I am subjected to it. Just do not expect me to play those songs myself.

Shall also be able to visit family again, way on the other side of town, and I love driving through those neighborhoods because the lights are prettier ^__^

Old 12-01-2010, 06:53 AM

7,646 posts, read 8,092,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
OK to be honest I am glad we are in December and Christmas is so close.I love the lights especially how Trinity University looks like now but also a few select houses in my neighborhood who have set up stylish and simple displays.

I like shopping. I love the mall and stores.

Admittedly I am not fond of Christmas music played repeatedly but I do love music and find myself humming to almost every song if I am subjected to it. Just do not expect me to play those songs myself.

Shall also be able to visit family again, way on the other side of town, and I love driving through those neighborhoods because the lights are prettier ^__^
I was really beginning to think I was the only one loving this time of year.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:45 AM

2,790 posts, read 5,169,129 times
I love this time of year. My favorite thing is to go out to Junction, TX on a day when the temperature is below freezing and visit the S. Llano River to watch the steam rising from the water. It's just one of those amazing things to witness.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:53 PM

469 posts, read 1,024,046 times
Your family sounds like my husbands family. They are obsessed with gifts. My family doesn't give gifts and we celebrate Christmas with spending time with one another and having a good meal.

I'd rather not get or give gifts. We all have too much stuff anyway and I usually end up with stuff I don't want or need same goes for my husband's family. The amount of stuff they give to their kids... Plus I HATE shopping for other people...lol

BUT if they insist on giving something I'd rather a donation be given in my name to a charity.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:10 PM

258 posts, read 563,552 times
I saw this t-shirt today at Walmart. It has a picture on it of Snoopy sleeping on top of his dog house that is decorated with colored lights and it says "Wake me when Christmas is over!" It made me think of the O.P.

Last edited by Septgirl75; 12-01-2010 at 10:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio