U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-16-2006, 09:38 PM

23 posts, read 69,799 times
Default Possibly transplanting to SA from CA

Hi Everyone! I have been lurking the board for the last few days and decided to introduce myself. Hubby and I live in the Bay Area in CA and are looking to get out of CA before he retires. He works for Valero and is applying for a transfer so we are keeping our fingers crossed. We have two boys(ages 17 and 8) and I work as a medical Biller from home. SA looks like a nice area and I have gotten a lot of info from just reading the posts. I think that we will be buying an older home(but not too old!) instead of buying new so I have been scoping the areas out and I want to make sure that we get into a good school district above all. CA schools suck! Even though I am a born and raised Cali girl, I am so not impressed with where this State is heading and it is just getting more ridiculous every day. The other thing I was wondering about is local motorcycle roads. I know that may sound silly but Hubby and I are both serious sportbike enthusiasts(he has an 05 R1 and I have a Ninja 650R) and I can't bear the thought of being without some twisties to canyon carve with. Anyone ride and have some reccomendations? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2006, 09:42 PM

1,722 posts, read 20,171 times
There's plenty of motrcycling roads in SA. The hill county is the perfect setting for a motorcycle ride.

As for the good schools, anything in the NISD, NEISD, ECISD, SCUC-ISD are good schools. There are like 15 other school districts with some good schools as well but those four districts are above them all in regards to total number of good schools. I'd say 98% of all their schools are very good.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:40 PM

3,823 posts, read 9,537,686 times
Default Houses and Motorcycles in San Antonio

Hello LdyApxr,

Buying a used home is still a pretty good bargin as they have not gone up as quickly as new houses. Also, it is becoming a buyers market due to all the new houses being built (have seller pay closing costs).

As you probably already know, headquarters for Valero is here in San Antonio. On getting a at-home job for medical billing, try going to the medical area and ask around or sell your capabilities to some doctor's office(s).

210 is right about the school districts in San Antonio.

It looks like you and your hubby like to ride "crotch rockets." These, along with Harleys (and Harley wanabe's) are very popular around here. Also as 210 stated, the Hill Country is great for riding your motorcycles. Some nice "twisties" are located on Hwy 16 (Bandera Rd) between Bandera and Kerrville. Be carefull, we were almost hit by a motorcycle that took the turn too fast and came into our lane on a blind corner. There are several other roads to explore with beautiful scenery. BTW, Bandera is a stopping point for lots of motorcycles on the weekends.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:40 AM

Thanks guys! That is really helpful. Yep, hubby and I are sportbikers but we save the speed for the track. Both of us are too old to be acting invincible. lol Our main concerns are getting into a good school district and a good neighborhood. I am so hoping that he gets the transfer even though it will mean leaving my family. Californina is just too out of control with taxes, cost of living, home prices etc. I was floored by the pirces in and around SA! You can't get a new home anywhere in CA for under $350k(espicially not something with a decent sq. ft) unless you are buying in the worst neighborhood and getting a shack! Our house we are in is only 1300sq. ft and we bought it 6 years ago for $220k and it was 18yrs old then! Now it is worth about twice that and we haven't done any improvements. Crazy.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:28 PM

3,823 posts, read 9,537,686 times
Default California Home Prices

Heck, my parents live in a nice retirement mobile home park just above Foothill Blvd in LaVerne, CA. LA County will not let mobile home owners own the land in the county, so they pay about $500 a month rent for the lot. They own a doublewide with covered patio on one side and covered garage on the other. It is about 25 years old (they have kept it nice..even replacing the roof recently), I guess around 1200 SF and mobile homes in their area are selling for $175-$200K. I keep telling them to sell it and come live with us in cheaper San Antonio!

Old 08-18-2006, 09:12 AM

There are some areas like that in Vallejo. They are manufactured homes and in a gated community but you have to rent your space so it is never really "yours". We looked into that when we first moved here from Sacramento but quickly idtched that idea. LOL I have no idea how long it will take us but we are SA bound no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio