U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 04:40 AM

14,613 posts, read 31,135,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Well the issue might not simply be unhealthy eating habits leading into the unemployment line.

The fact though is and will remain that unhealthy eating habits will produce higher health costs, people can still work, but will still require higher health costs. Also there are early deaths so this is when it becomes most unacceptable not just in economic terms but the human toll as well.

Truth is many overweight people, even full blown obese, can be very productive and not lazy. They might still require higher health costs in the end, that should not be ignored, but in all fairness big people can get things done, do, and in San Antonio there are many who do get promoted for putting in the effort in a variety of fields.

We should not allow food that can act like an addictive drug and that produce detrimental effects to remain unregulated. SF has banned toys in happy meals if they are going to remain unhealthy. This is one step in the right direction. Changing the culture can be done in a variety of ways and we need to go at it with all the tools in the tool box and not just those that protect Mickey D's and company and expect people to make the right choice on their own. They need to change the way they do business. They are the equivalent of drug dealers but on a corporate level.

We ban things like lead paint and this is no different. We need to step up in the war against unhealthy eating habits. Perhaps a system where those who wish to eat as they wish can sign a waiver so that they will not receive health care? I don't know, that sounds a bit harsh, but these costs are going to skyrocket if nothing is done.

Dopo also had a point about HFCs. I try to avoid them as much as possible when I began looking at labels and seeing so much of what we consume is all the same, it all has HFC in it, that just does not seem right to be eating so much of the same thing even if it is painted and coated to appear like a different product. The government can from the top up quit subsidizing this and find a way to deliver a more varied diet. It is fact that farmers are payed not to grow other crops and over payed to keep growing corn for HFC. Those with the argument that the government should not get involved do not realize they already are involved.
You've seriously got to be kidding. A thread about an idiotic list about San Antonio's un-attractiveness turns into THIS? How unattractive.

And it's HFCS, for high fructose corn syrup. Not HFC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 06:50 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,788,192 times
Quote:
We should not allow food that can act like an addictive drug and that produce detrimental effects to remain unregulated.
No thanks, I'll be responsible enough to live as an adult. No need for a government nanny dictating what I can and can't eat.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:21 AM

1,877 posts, read 2,303,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
No thanks, I'll be responsible enough to live as an adult. No need for a government nanny dictating what I can and can't eat.
I agree.

If you can't control yourself from eating crap all the time, to the point where you need the government to step in and regulate what you eat....well, you have other issues you need to deal with. No one else but you is steering your car to go to the drive-thru at Mickey D's and elsewhere.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:49 AM

574 posts, read 1,160,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
You've seriously got to be kidding. A thread about an idiotic list about San Antonio's un-attractiveness turns into THIS? How unattractive.
Exactly!

How trivial this overall thread is....and for it to have gone off on this tangent is silly.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:52 AM

14,613 posts, read 31,135,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadlockd View Post
Exactly!

How trivial this overall thread is....and for it to have gone off on this tangent is silly.
Shhhhhhh! They'll say we're bothered because we're ugly.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:33 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,813 posts, read 33,118,467 times
I see some tempting tangents above this post. Keep it local to keep it open.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:25 AM

BTW I have yet to see a We're Number One! thread on the Charleston forum.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:37 AM

5,142 posts, read 11,442,871 times
How is the data collected for such a survey?
Does a survey person sit at a bench at a college campus watching who passed by and rates folks? Do residents submit their survey?

Old 11-10-2010, 09:39 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,733,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
BTW I have yet to see a We're Number One! thread on the Charleston forum.
That's because they're too busy eating BOILED PEANUTS, bacon &/or ham in EVERYTHING, hanging out their Confederate Flags, swatting no-see-ums (however the heck ya spell that), smashing 4" long "Palmetto bugs" (ROACHES!) and yacking about college football. gag.

Glad it's you moving there and not me! (One summer in hell was all I could take.)

Old 11-10-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
That's because they're too busy eating BOILED PEANUTS, bacon &/or ham in EVERYTHING, hanging out their Confederate Flags, swatting no-see-ums (however the heck ya spell that), smashing 4" long "Palmetto bugs" (ROACHES!) and yacking about college football. gag.

Glad it's you moving there and not me! (One summer in hell was all I could take.)
It's where the work is. Swimming in the Atlantic will be a lot more fun than walking around PNW beaches where the water is too cold to do much but kayak in.

For what it's worth a few people I worked with back in Seattle had the same opinion as whoever put Charleston at #1 on the list. Guess I'll find out soon. I've been there a couple of times but was too busy playing tourist to notice much. The shopping downtown was nice though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
How is the data collected for such a survey?
Does a survey person sit at a bench at a college campus watching who passed by and rates folks? Do residents submit their survey?
This guy is the official reviewer.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio