U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 10:25 AM

2,790 posts, read 5,172,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
So you want to take on terrorists too? LOL.
Please speak for yourself, because I never stated that (and you know it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 10:32 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,902,054 times
But terrorism is a crime which sheepdog must protect us from? ~_~

I have another novel idea for citizens to fight crime. Littering is also a crime! So perhaps citizens should go and pick up litter on the side of the road and also get some exercise to boot. Oh, that is not glamorous enough? I think it would help the community heaps more though than pretending we are sheepdog...

Old 11-11-2010, 10:35 AM

5,623 posts, read 6,413,241 times
I agree with sapphire's post. No one should be scared in this town to do something perfectly legal like withdrawing money or renting a movie.

I fully support the right to defend ourselves by physical force or weapons should a situation arise where we find ourselves in danger. My only disagreement is the excessive ownership of guns. I fail to see the purpose in owning an arsenal of guns fit for fort knox scattered around your bed.

One thing, the person left the car running. This is something that I never do, no matter how quickly I am running the errands. It is sad that we are unable to feel safe/secure enough to be able to do this. I hope those lowlifes are caught.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:37 AM

251 posts, read 453,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
No, it's a thread telling us NOT to do something totally legal at what the OP considers a dangerous time of night, in a dangerous part of town, because if we do, it's our own fault if someone jacks our car.
Go rent some movies at 2 or 3 then princess, and go make a withdrawal while you're at too. You should probably go for a walk as well- and not in your cushy neighborhood sappy, I mean sapphy

Old 11-11-2010, 10:38 AM

2,790 posts, read 5,172,201 times
LOL, Merovee... you know what I think litterbugs should get?

They should get the ants!

"Seize them! And take them to the peanut butter prep area! Then into the Coliseum, with the precious red ants!"

Old 11-11-2010, 10:41 AM

14,614 posts, read 31,154,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sweet Pickles Bus View Post
Go rent some movies at 2 or 3 then princess, and go make a withdrawal while you're at too. You should probably go for a walk as well- and not in your cushy neighborhood sappy, I mean sapphy
I shall. But LMAO at "cushy neighborhood".

Old 11-11-2010, 10:43 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,902,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
LOL, Merovee... you know what I think litterbugs should get?

They should get the ants!

"Seize them! And take them to the peanut butter prep area! Then into the Coliseum, with the precious red ants!"
lol now now don't get me started on torture (can't anyways since it has nothing to do with this thread) and I also think the criminals should get caught but most of all I hope the victim in this is OK, mentally, is not set back too deeply because of this, his insurances kicks in, and his vehicle is simply found in decent condition and not all chopped up or something. Hopefully it was not professional thieves who would chop it up and just someone wanting a quick getaway because even the crooks are lazy in this town.

In either case it never fails to amaze me that in any crime the victim is usually ignored and everyone wants to do vigilante things or torture. It does not surprise me though because that is how we evolved, to look for threats, and if we were in the jungle fighting another tribe there is no time to help the victim but to go after the other tribe. Glad I live in a city where I feel safe and not some scary jungle with ants and tribes like the 'teaparty against crime' tribe, 'wolf' tribe and 'sheepdog' tribe, or even the 'FOX' tribe.

I am a human who is part of humanity not an animal and neither are any of you. Going around thinking people are sheep is another way to dehumanize others. See I know most people are decent, honest folk who enjoy life and work hard and not criminals who are a small percentage or vigilantes which are either stuck in fantasy land or grossly misguided.

Last edited by Merovee; 11-11-2010 at 10:56 AM..

Old 11-11-2010, 10:57 AM

6,259 posts, read 8,996,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I fully support the right to defend ourselves by physical force or weapons should a situation arise where we find ourselves in danger. My only disagreement is the excessive ownership of guns. I fail to see the purpose in owning an arsenal of guns fit for fort knox scattered around your bed.
Mine aren't scattered around my bed - nor are they in ANY home of a responsible gun owner. AAMOF, I'd venture to say that the security arrangements for my firearms exceed that utilized by most for their home security. My exercise of my Constitutional Rights have no regard as to your perception. Whether I own 1 or 100, what difference does it make? I don't care how many video games you own, or gas cans, or anything else you are legally entitled to possess - so how many guns someone might own should be of no consequence, either. As a practical matter, folks that have large gun collections are usually the type of folks you'd love to have as a neighbor, simply because they're generally "live and let live" types that don't bother folks over trivial issues. By the same token, if you've got a problem and need help, they'll likely be the first to be there for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
One thing, the person left the car running. This is something that I never do, no matter how quickly I am running the errands. It is sad that we are unable to feel safe/secure enough to be able to do this. I hope those lowlifes are caught.
Oh, to be SURE that was WAY beyond dumb....but then again, in a righteous world, it wouldn't have mattered. Things being what they are, however, yeah - DUMB decision.

Personally, I was simply glad that the poor guy wasn't hurt. It's a shame that he was a victim, and I'd love to see the donkeybutts that did this to him caught and punished, but for now, it's at least a blessing that he wasn't hurt.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:22 AM

2,622 posts, read 4,553,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
The news sensationalizes things...and I find no humor in crime but do in the perception some have that 'they need to start their own tea party against it'.

We have professional LEOs for that, I have and will continue to have more confidence in them, however much that is, than in guys who buy tons of guns thinking they need to protect themselves out in suburbia or some rural area....but from what?

As others have stated there are proactive measures one can take to avoid not being a victim. Exercising caution is a far cry from wanting to be a crime-fighter lol that is what is funny that some citizens in far away land think they can be crime-fighters.

Movie rental goes wrong when patron reportedly gets carjacked | kens5.com | San Antonio News, Weather, Sports, Traffic, Entertainment, Video and Photos

I bet he didn't even look around.
There's no need for exaggeration. It always seems to be those who advocate the lay-down, do it to me, just please don't snuff out my life attitude that are the ones who like to make reference to what they consider over-the-top gun nuts.

You make the remark the news sensationalizes things. How sensational would it be for you if your son or daughter was walking to school one morning in your nice, upscale suburbia neighborhood and got snatched right off the pristine sidewalk into a vehicle that the punkes most likely stole just the night before?

How sensational would the news story be for you if it were your Mom and Dad's home out in a rural area that the underprivileged poor, poor punks that no one had bothered to 'create' a job for them and so this was all they had to turn to was the one that was the news story that evening.

It really doesn't matter where you live or where you go these days to avoid being a victim of crime. The most posh, upscale neighborhood is just as subject to a home invasion as a poor, crime ridden neighborhood. If it happens to you or to a loved one of yours, statistics don't matter one whit!

I will agree that it is not wise to 'walk in front of a mac truck', but I also maintain my right to live my life without fear and intimidation. The problem is that now the criminals are not the ones living in fear for their lives if they get caught in the act of criminal activity against an innocent person. Rather it is the innocent, law biding person who is reduced to living in fear. It has been this way now for too long and the result is reading and watching more sensational news stories that the newspaper space and television time can allow, knowing most of the incidents never even make it in the news.

But, as it has been noted, each to their own. I, for one, can only hope someone like MMM, TR or HCHRM is around rather than you Merovee if God forbid some punks ever jump me, because the likihood of a policeman being nearby is unlkely.

But I see this is an issue that will continue on without resolve and there's no sense in beating a dead horse. You see people who exercise the right to defend themselves as goons from a 'faraway land' who carry arensols with them and go patrol the streets after dark to act like superpowers and to fight for justice and ward off evil. Maybe you're just watching too much TV with the 'made to sell shows' plots rather than the real deal sensational news. Regardless, I hope your front door is never knocked down and you become another victim of a home invasion while you are watching your TV in your own safe, secure world. I also hope you are never carjacked or accousted while simply carrying your groceres to your car from your 'safe' neighborhood grocery store. Because I think that is the only way you're going to 'get it', so it's best that you don't understand. But hopefully in the future you will try to be more tolerant towards a victim of crime regardless if the crime is enacted against them in the upper manhatten district or the ghetto and if it occurs in the middle of the night or broad daylight. It is the criminal who is at fault here and they are the ones to lay the blame on, not the victim, and it is the criminal who should be afraid, very afraid.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:27 AM

1,878 posts, read 2,307,810 times
Morovee my friend, you seem to have a habit of putting words into people's mouths and dramatizing everything. I've noticed it not only in this thread, but others as well. Mob mentality? Vigilanties running amuck? The need to own lots and lots of guns that we keep by our bedside? Fighting terrorism? No one said anything about any of these things but you. And yes, crime happens even in the "burbs"...I don't understand your mentality with the "inner city" being the only place bad things happen. You think that someone is going to hunt down a criminal and shoot him in the head like Charles Bronson?...come on now. I simply stated that if I caught some idiot trying to rip me off or assault me...AND if the opportunity arose to protect myself...I'm going to do it. Now if some drugged out fool has a gun to my head, well of course I'm going to do what he wants....I'm not going to die for any possesion I may have. You make it sound like if some teenage punk is running off with my son's skateboard, I'm going to chase him down with an assault rifle and pop him in the head....don't be ridiculous. I'm not looking for a fight by any means....I'm the most gentle, laid back person you'll ever meet....BUT, if someone does me wrong, I, for one, am not going to crawl in a corner in a fetal position sucking my thumb.....simple as that. Getting back to the subject at hand.....it was so stupid of the guy to leave the car running...it's just common sense. Be aware of your surroundings at all times, but don't be so afraid of the boogie man that you won't go and do something as simple as renting a movie after dark....use your head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio