U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,825 posts, read 33,233,153 times
Reputation: 13612

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa dave View Post
I would also like to congratulate UTSA for moving from FCS (1-AA) to FBS football (1-A) faster than any other American university in history, since the NCAA split division 1 football. Many people doubted this leap would ever happen to UTSA...so two years after hiring coach Larry Coker, one recruiting class, and several practices/scrimmages later, here we are.
I didn't doubt that it was possible, I just wouldn't have guessed that the NCAA's bureaucracy could make that move happen in such a short time. Bet there's a good backstory there.

I'm looking forward to seeing Boise State play in the Alamodome every other year. They've got a good program and are a fun football team to watch. I think they'd beat most of the teams in Texas more often than not this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-11-2010, 04:41 PM
 
360 posts, read 659,753 times
Reputation: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I didn't doubt that it was possible, I just wouldn't have guessed that the NCAA's bureaucracy could make that move happen in such a short time.
You guessed wrong


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing Boise State play in the Alamodome every other year. They've got a good program and are a fun football team to watch. I think they'd beat most of the teams in Texas more often than not this year.

You're gonna have to wait a long while for Boise State to play in SA as they've scuttled the WAC in favor of the Mountain West Conference.

Either way, I'm looking forward to watching the team play Hawaii in Hawaii every other year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2010, 05:19 PM
 
15,065 posts, read 19,716,377 times
Reputation: 12234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I didn't doubt that it was possible, I just wouldn't have guessed that the NCAA's bureaucracy could make that move happen in such a short time. Bet there's a good backstory there.

I'm looking forward to seeing Boise State play in the Alamodome every other year. They've got a good program and are a fun football team to watch. I think they'd beat most of the teams in Texas more often than not this year.
That might be the main reason UTSA got into WAC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,825 posts, read 33,233,153 times
Reputation: 13612
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa dave View Post
You guessed wrong
And it makes me wonder what kind of dealmaking went on to make it happen. Hence, the "backstory" reference you didn't quote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2010, 06:22 PM
 
360 posts, read 659,753 times
Reputation: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
And it makes me wonder what kind of dealmaking went on to make it happen. Hence, the "backstory" reference you didn't quote.
I've not heard of any backstory. The whole process: from Southland, to Tom Burnett kicking UTSA out of the league, to Hickey declaring UTSA an FCS independant, to three members of the WAC leaving for the MWC, has been detailed and reported quite extensively. It's been covered so much, that the runners have a blog on mysa.com and an Express-News beat writer, Dan McCarney.

[honest question] What kind of backstory do you assume there is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2010, 06:59 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,248 posts, read 19,192,166 times
Reputation: 7010
Quote:
Originally Posted by budjb View Post
That's crazy that they haven't played a single game and they're already getting into D-1. Count me as very excited about it!
Well, San Antonio's needed FBS football for a while, IMO.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2010, 07:09 PM
 
Location: In San Antonio
1,673 posts, read 2,722,839 times
Reputation: 1242
San Antonio get out and support those Roadrunners!!! Cant believe they are in Div I!!! And the WAC is a good place to start off. Maybe a move to the Big XII in 5 years . Wishing and hoping and Praying LOL

Cant wait for the next 3 or 4 seasons to come and see the progression of the team. Lets face it the first 2 years are gonna be tough on those players/coaches but, I say by year 3 it should turn a .500 team. Plus we get to see more of that SA and south Texas high school talent in the Dome.

Anyone know of the type of offense/defense that Larry Coker will run? What do the jerseys look like? Sure would love some news on that.

So come on SA football fans, show up and show off for ESPN, FoxSW and the college football community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2010, 09:09 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
161 posts, read 285,427 times
Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
San Antonio get out and support those Roadrunners!!! Cant believe they are in Div I!!! And the WAC is a good place to start off. Maybe a move to the Big XII in 5 years . Wishing and hoping and Praying LOL

Cant wait for the next 3 or 4 seasons to come and see the progression of the team. Lets face it the first 2 years are gonna be tough on those players/coaches but, I say by year 3 it should turn a .500 team. Plus we get to see more of that SA and south Texas high school talent in the Dome.

Anyone know of the type of offense/defense that Larry Coker will run? What do the jerseys look like? Sure would love some news on that.

So come on SA football fans, show up and show off for ESPN, FoxSW and the college football community.
I don't remember what type of offense they'll use, but Coker runs a 4-2-5 defensive scheme.

The official jerseys have not been revealed yet, sometime early next year they will reveal them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2010, 09:22 PM
 
15,065 posts, read 19,716,377 times
Reputation: 12234
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsofa04 View Post
The official jerseys have not been revealed yet, sometime early next year they will reveal them.
Here's my guess: Auburn


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,825 posts, read 33,233,153 times
Reputation: 13612
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa dave View Post
[honest question] What kind of backstory do you assume there is?
Somebody paying off... er, making a donation to something that influenced the NCAA to put things on the fast track. When things move faster than anyone expects, it's usually because money greased the skids somewhere along the line.

The athletic department stands to make millions after the jump, so there's plenty of financial incentive to make this happen sooner rather than later. Whatever tipped the scales doesn't have to be illegal or even dishonest, but it's probably very interesting. That's why I'm curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top