Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 10:11 AM

46 posts, read 168,623 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the inputs! I think I'm going to take the probation. It seems that I can simply apply probation through the court website (I have to show up in court only if the judge don't reply my application online within 48 hours). However, is it better to go to the court to ask for short-term probation? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 10:54 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,844,926 times
Differed disposition is the best bet, just drive cautiously and let it go off your record. The other alternative is simply paying the ticket or going to defensive driving school. One stays on your record and the other seems like a waste of time if you are just on the hook for speeding and do not really require remedial (or whatever) classes. There is a clown comedy defensive driving class in town I believe hehe

meisha has a point that it seems the police focuses on speeding but not on all these other violations.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:32 PM

30 posts, read 39,738 times
Today on the freeway I set the cruise to the limit 60 mph and people were whizzing by me like I was standing still. The ones who couldnt lane change right away rode inches away from my bumper to send their angry message. I don’t condone apal’s speeding but I can certainly understand it.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:49 AM

4,287 posts, read 7,989,170 times
My dad recently got a BS speeding ticket where the cop actually LIED. Really pathetic. But, that's not the point. Since he couldn't prove he wasn't speeding (this is why I'm in favor of having a transponder in one's car record speeds at all times), after doing a little dealing with the powers that be (whoever the losers were) he got 3 months probation. So now he's driving safely....even though that's the exact same thing he was doing before.

I really do think that the system is very much rigged, and the fact that the cops lie is just abhorrent. Going over the speed limit isn't what causes damage, it's everything else that happens: the cell phones, the distracting driving, the tailgatin', the starin' at the cute blonde 2 lanes over, etc.

The only thing going faster does is cause more damage when someone makes a mistake. What does this tell me? People are focusing on the wrong things, that's what.

Best of luck to you, blueamber, keep us posted on your situation! Hopefully it ends well and safely for you!

Old 11-19-2010, 02:50 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,415,779 times
Well, it depends. The faster you're going, the longer it takes for you to stop. Also, traffic going at different speeds is dangerous. Speeding also makes it more difficult to react to obstacles and increases your chances of getting into an accident during inclement weather. How fast are you talking about? Going 100 mph down the freeway, even when there is no traffic and the roads are dry, is dangerous. Unless you're in a high performance sports car, most vehicles can't be driven safely at high speeds.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
Well, it depends. The faster you're going, the longer it takes for you to stop. Also, traffic going at different speeds is dangerous. Speeding also makes it more difficult to react to obstacles and increases your chances of getting into an accident during inclement weather. How fast are you talking about? Going 100 mph down the freeway, even when there is no traffic and the roads are dry, is dangerous. Unless you're in a high performance sports car, most vehicles can't be driven safely at high speeds.
Very true, on all counts. However, the point of driving fast is to drive fast, and be safe doing it. Many other people in many other countries do it, yet we don't. Why? There's no excuse to be so incredibly ill-disciplined.

Then again, when you think about how easy it is to get a driver's license, I guess we shouldn't be surprised in the least.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:30 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,844,926 times
People who want to drive fast and feel it is a right should visit a private track and get it out of their system.

There are also only two types of drivers who create hazards by traffic going at different speeds, one is the speeder, the other is the person driving below the minimum speed limit. Everyone else shares the road fairly well.

I do speed at times and will accept my ticket with grace and tell the officer, "Thank you." One for doing their job, two for them trying to keep me safe. It does not matter if the road was empty.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:41 AM

True, I don't trust people driving fast here even though I know many people do it safely in places like Germany. People aren't even taken on the highway here during driving tests, at least I wasn't.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:10 AM

Maybe if they made it more difficult to obtain a driver's license, people would be more grateful for it and become better drivers? Pardon me while I LAUGH LIKE CRAZY!!!!

San Antonians are horrible drivers. The amount of weirdness I see every single day....wow. Just, wow.

But there is a MASSIVE difference between driving the speed limit, driving under the speed limit, driving over the speed limit responsibly and driving over the speed limit irresponsibly.

And never forget, sometimes the speed limit posted isn't quite the right one, for a multitude of possible reasons.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:04 AM

Making it harder to obtain driver's licenses would mean that people would have to work more on their skills and learn the rules of the road in order to pass. Either become a better driver or you don't get a license; it's that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio