Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 10:35 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
Radiation?! HA! What about the radiation from cell phones, laptops, televisions, and cell phone towers?????
But these things you mention have already been proven to release such minuscule amounts of radiation that they've been deemed harmless to us by independent research. Getting backscattered by radiation, directly, in this machine- And for some of us on a regular basis because we fly so much- can't be a great thing. Another reason I bypass and take my chances with the professionalism of the TSA.

BN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 10:38 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
That's how it was discovered that Lady Gaga is a dude!
Ha! Oh, she can be so crazy and wondeful and scary all at the same time.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:19 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
But these things you mention have already been proven to release such minuscule amounts of radiation that they've been deemed harmless to us by independent research.

BN
Minuscule amounts of radiation? OMG!!! You have got to be kidding me!!!

First, let's just say I do believe you (I do not) that cell phones, laptops, computers, and cell phone towers do not put out as much radiation ("minuscule amounts of radiation" as you say).

Even if I did, we are NOT exposed to radiation from a full body scanner ALL THE TIME like we are from our cell phone, computers/laptops (some people have jobs where they are exposed to it all day long at work!), flat screen televisions, cell phone towers (all around our cities), and other electronic equipment which we come in contact with on almost DAILY BASIS.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:48 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,699 times
Quote:

First, let's just say I do believe you (I do not) that cell phones, laptops, computers, and cell phone towers do not put out as much radiation ("minuscule amounts of radiation" as you say).

Even if I did, we are NOT exposed to radiation from a full body scanner ALL THE TIME like we are from our cell phone, computers/laptops (some people have jobs where they are exposed to it all day long at work!), flat screen televisions, cell phone towers (all around our cities), and other electronic equipment which we come in contact with on almost DAILY BASIS.
There are many types of radiation and some are much more dangerous to living tissue. All exposure should be limited as much as possible, but there's a reason that they make people wear lead shields while receiving x-rays but not while watching television or using a cell phone.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry, but I can't properly debate with someone who uses this many CAPS LOCK emotions and exclamation points.

Google it. The research is there to support my claim. I'm entirely too busy right now enjoying my pool on a beautifully sunny Key West FL day

BN

Old 11-18-2010, 02:17 PM

475 posts, read 1,094,151 times
Quote:
Radiation?! HA! What about the radiation from cell phones, laptops, televisions, medical-office equipment, and cell phone towers?????
There may yet be issues that crop up from the sources you mentioned. In any case, as you might know, radiation's harmful effects depend partly on where on the electromagnetic spectrum they originate (e.g. x-rays worse than ultraviolet). Also, distance from the transmitter plays a large role in the actual effect on oneself. This is why you do not want to stand next to your kitchen microwave and minimize holding your cell phone to your head, etc.

As for these scanners, particularly the backscatter version, they have not been properly tested for long term exposure and you are standing right next to it. As mentioned in a previous post by me, the methodology assumes that the radiation will be absorbed throughout the body, when in fact these machines are concentrating it only on skin. the millimeter wave machines are supposed to be better as they use radio waves instead of low-dose x-rays. TSA however, has decided to use both depending on location and availability.

Last edited by datacity; 11-18-2010 at 02:30 PM..

Old 11-18-2010, 02:39 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Discuss the radiation emitted by the new scanners in the Science and Technology forum. It's not a local issue.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:14 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,340,080 times
someone just sent me this...frankly, I'm all for it:

"All we need to do is develop a booth that you can step into that will NOT X-ray you, but WILL detonate any explosive device you may have hidden on or in your body. The explosion will be contained within the sealed booth. This would be a win-win for everyone. There would be no racial profiling, no discrimination, no molesting of children, and the device would eliminate long and expensive trials in our courts.

This is so simple that it's brilliant. I can see it now: you're in the airport terminal and you hear a muffled explosion. Shortly thereafter an announcement comes over the PA system,"Attention standby passengers, we now have a seat available on flight number..." "

Old 12-02-2010, 09:44 AM

20 posts, read 44,352 times
Just wanted to say I just flew out of the San Antonio airport and watched them routinely put people through the scanner and then some of them were searched as well after the scan. I actually saw them put their hands underneath the waisband touching her skin around one ladies waist. I honestly thought I would be made to go as well, but I think being with my kids spared me. I found it strange that they were putting just about everyone through the scanner, I thought it was supposed to be random? The regular security checkpoint was the random one at the point I was going through.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:20 PM

TSA in San Antonio is not doing anything 'random' when it comes to their new backscatter machines. I've been through at least a dozen times since it opened and when they're on, they're putting everyone through.

Again, I opt out... And I make it crystal clear to who's searching me that if they don't keep it professional, I'll file a complaint. I know my rights.

BN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio