U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 06:17 PM

10,180 posts, read 5,158,564 times

Advertisements

There is always so much negativity on these boards, and often times people overlook and bash a place for being different. San Antonio is easily my favorite city in Texas (Outside of Houston- where I live and more than Austin where I go to school).

Some of the things about San Antonio are overlooked greatly. And it wasn't until recently that I started to appreciate all the cool things we have in this state. There's a lot of great things.

- San Antonio easily has one of the best highway networks for any city of its size, it can handle a lot more efficient numbers, easy flow of traffic compared to some peers like Austin
- San Antonio has an amazing vibrant downtown (For Texas), and honestly I'm no fan of traditional architecture but even I find myself saying "wow, that just looks beautiful" in downtown.
- San Antonio has the best Mongolian food I've tried (I know its random but its true, I cant even replicate that experience anywhere else)
- The best Mexican food I've tried also
- The people are just so calm, religion, politics, none of that matters in a one on one interaction at all.

Actually contrary to belief, I'm Hindu (inactively turning more Atheist by the day though) and all the flak Texas gets for "bible thumping" and whatever that some of the trolls go around saying, its not true at all. No one has ever told me anything regarding religion and what it should be. Over half my friends are atheist, but they've never encountered any problems in San Antonio or any other big city in Texas.

I find the hills in the Northwest side of the city to be very beautiful, especially given that they're so lush and green.

The Rim is a great place to spend an evening. It's just a nicely planned area.

I'm always in San Antonio, at least once a week. And have never come to dislike much about it. Its a great city, and it has a very good path to becoming a better city.

From some of the locals, what are some things you appreciate most about San Antonio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 06:33 PM

10,453 posts, read 10,199,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
San Antonio easily has one of the best highway networks for any city of its size, it can handle a lot more efficient numbers, easy flow of traffic compared to some peers like Austin
That's true, if you don't count I-35.
I don't remember any city with more than 1 million people that it's major highway had only 6 lanes. Add to that, all the trucks that ride on it everyday.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:37 PM

2,879 posts, read 2,277,652 times
I like the Mexican food in S.A.!
I like the River Walk (but hardly ever go because of the parking problems downtown)
There are nice people in S.A. who really like to help you if you have car problems or need directions.
Diversity...there's all different kinds of people in S.A.
The native plants and wildflowers in the area are really beautiful!
BTW, DANNYY, where is that good Mongolian food anyway? I might like it!

Old 11-19-2010, 06:38 PM

1,131 posts, read 968,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
From some of the locals, what are some things you appreciate most about San Antonio?
Some of these *VERY* beautiful girls.....and beauty is not just always exclusively a physical thing, in my opinion.......

Old 11-19-2010, 06:54 PM

737 posts, read 807,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
That's true, if you don't count I-35.
I don't remember any city with more than 1 million people that it's major highway had only 6 lanes. Add to that, all the trucks that ride on it everyday.
Even still...the point was that for it's size it's great. That means in comparison to other cities. We are spoiled here but truth be told, our traffic is nothing. There are some places where people have to drive home for over an hour to go 20-30 miles because of traffic. That's terrible.

I like the people....generally and genuinely nice people.
I like the hill country
I like our proximity to Austin, Dallas, Houston, the coast and Mexico. We're in a perfect spot
I like our weather
I like the Tex-Mex we have here, easily the best anywhere, period
I like the pace here...not too slow...not too fast...just right

Old 11-19-2010, 06:57 PM

5,569 posts, read 9,618,372 times
Heck ya I like Texas/SA too much that I turned down a high paying job that would have relocated me to DC. The only place that I would move to outside of Texas would be Utah and some parts of Montana/British Columbia.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:10 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,889,542 times
one word! Spurs!

Old 11-19-2010, 07:27 PM

1,678 posts, read 1,821,991 times
Its home
Its Big yet small
Has alot going for it now and in the future
Friendly People
Attractions
Fiesta

Old 11-19-2010, 07:41 PM

5,081 posts, read 7,778,138 times
- The northside (Bitters-Huebner-Blanco area) rocks. Neighborhoods in that area have some great quality custom housing there. The main thoroughfares and retail development nearby looks good and clean.

- Bike paths along creek / green belts are pretty good.

- Good water and electric utility rates.

- Short hop to IAH / DFW (rant about AA service goes here) for international service. ATL isn't excessively far either.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:52 PM

49 posts, read 44,934 times
I'm a transplant that has lived in several beautiful places around the world yet I love San Antonio.

The people, the food, the weather are fantastic. There aren't many places where you can live on acreage in the middle of a Mio+ city or reasonably close by. I love the housing choices that are available. The downtown area is charming and historical. The nearby hill country is beautiful. I love the many old live oak trees and the incredible sunsets we are having lately. I love that after living here for several years I can still find new things and places to explore. Unlike many on the SA CD board I find the traffic situation very tolerable especially after living in some European cities and California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio