U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 11:07 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,753,974 times

Advertisements

So, we're getting ready to take our most recent stray cat that adopted us (and promptly presented us with 4 baby kittens!) to get spayed tomorrow at the SNAP "Mozart Cat Event" and Otherhalf comes across this:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/kens5/weblinks/stories/MYSA070907.petsspayneuter.KENS.5c8d5cca.html (broken link)

Great news! Please pass this on to all the pet owners you know. There is no reason to have all these poor animals running around un-neutered when there are resources like this and SNAP! SNAP (Spay Neuter Assistance Program www.spayus.org (broken link)) is a great organization, as it provides low cost spay/neuter to both "income qualified" and those of us who seem to be a magnet to all the strays in the neighborhood!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 11:40 AM

82 posts, read 521,589 times
That's so good of you to spread the word! Our 2 kittens are neutered already but it is extremely important for owners to spay and neuter.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:14 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,357,274 times
and also rescue instead of buying..

We rescued two chiweenies (sisters) a few months ago and are now up to four. Three spayed girls (chiweenies and a chow) and one neutered boy (chihuahua)

gotta start with ch

Old 07-10-2007, 02:33 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,745,536 times
Our neighbors just moved and left behind three kitties they had been feeding. One was a little momma.....and is now much thinner! I'm expecting the litter to show up behind her one day! They did neuter two of the males.....and because they have been used to being fed, I'm now faced with three pitiful little faces each morning! They are almost feral, but are definitely used to being hand fed! Momma is very shy and I don't have a clue to where her babies are. If I could catch her I get her over to SNAP in 2.5 seconds! OMG...I am an absolute sucker and can't stand NOT to feed them. If someone needs some barn kitties please let me know! I'm already trying to find a home for my precious indoor kitty. I am a cat magnet......always have been. It's inherited....we can't escape them!

Old 07-10-2007, 04:35 PM

14,628 posts, read 31,230,954 times
jules--you could take Bob Barker's place on Price is Right! I hear they are looking for a new host......I do agree with you--there are way too many strays and most of them end up dying in horrible ways. It's so sad.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:59 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,442,033 times
SNAP is a great program. They also work very close with the Humane Society too.

There is absolutely no reason a lot of people shouldn't be taking advantage of the free S/N program being offered right now. Would be interested to know how many people took advantage of this wonderful service (considering over 1700 animals were euthanized last week at ACS).

Tiffany

Old 07-10-2007, 06:13 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,753,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
jules--you could take Bob Barker's place on Price is Right! I hear they are looking for a new host......
Bwwwwaaaaaahaaaahaaa!! That would be so fun to be up there with that fashionably long and skinny microphone! hee hee!

And Tiffany/hadleyzoo - I know that alot of people take advantage of the SNAP services. Although they start taking animals in at 7, people start getting in line really early. Last time Otherhalf took one of our "adoptees" in he was there at around 4:45 and there were already 8 ahead of him! Fortunately he was able to get her in (they don't have space for many larger dogs). I think they consistantly have to turn several people away, just not alot of room in the mobile truck. I think that it's such a worthy cause that I've decided to start donating 10% of my commissions to them in the clients name. (Plus, we've brought so many strays in for the low cost neutering that I figure we owe them!! )

I did see a short story on the news this evening about the other free program. Looks like they had lots of animals in there! Hooray!

Old 07-10-2007, 07:05 PM

11 posts, read 40,172 times
At first I thought SNAP meant "Spay Neuter All Pets" then I read the rest of your post.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:32 AM

1,276 posts, read 3,442,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Bwwwwaaaaaahaaaahaaa!! That would be so fun to be up there with that fashionably long and skinny microphone! hee hee!

And Tiffany/hadleyzoo - I know that alot of people take advantage of the SNAP services. Although they start taking animals in at 7, people start getting in line really early. Last time Otherhalf took one of our "adoptees" in he was there at around 4:45 and there were already 8 ahead of him! Fortunately he was able to get her in (they don't have space for many larger dogs). I think they consistantly have to turn several people away, just not alot of room in the mobile truck. I think that it's such a worthy cause that I've decided to start donating 10% of my commissions to them in the clients name. (Plus, we've brought so many strays in for the low cost neutering that I figure we owe them!! )

I did see a short story on the news this evening about the other free program. Looks like they had lots of animals in there! Hooray!
I missed the news last night...that's great there were lots of people out yesterday. And I'm glad to hear that many people do take advantage of the program when available. And I think you donating your commission to SNAP is wonderful! The more donations they can get the more they can mobilize their truck and conduct these programs.

Tiffany

Old 10-17-2007, 08:08 PM

546 posts, read 2,826,147 times
I just caught this post. We're big proponants of TNR. We have a big feral cat population over here, and they know an easy mark: ME, the guy who gives out the free food!

Anyhoo, sanantonioferalcats.org has a monthly class on how to trap the critters, where to take them for their surgeries for free/cheap, etc. You can also buy traps from them at a discount (not much, but you save on S&H if you buy from the internet, etc.). I recommend it. I'm a tad lazy, so I just take them to a vet down the road when I catch them, but damn, it gets expensive, these hungry goblins keep coming for that free buffet! But I figure, heck, I need some good karma anyway, so I shell out the $$$. BTW, some mean ol' neighbor got mad at me for feeding the cats the other day, said they were killing the birds. I told her, in a nutshell, that birds are simply rats with wings, plus cats kill disease-spreadin' mice and rats, that my ferals are all fixed and ear-clipped, etc., AND that I get at least one bird a day slamming into my window, and THAT'S how they're dying - I kid you not, I get one loud THUMP every stinking morning, gggrrrr!

Oh, that reminds me, I have about six hungry cats on the patio as I write this, gotta go and feed the lil' ingrates (that's what we call them - we feed 'em, water 'em, fix 'em, and they're still scared to death of us - always glaring like they're angry at us).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or