Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 02:29 PM

46 posts, read 120,319 times

Advertisements

Well, this might not be a San Antonio thing.
I don't know, but WHY?!!! Why would you put Chili Powder on a sucker? Or Watermelon?
I just happen to get curious and tried something new. A mexican sucker. Is that offensive to call it that? It's what my hispanic friend called it.

Tasted like a turd covered in burnt hair. Smelled like big foot's ... Ha ha. No I wouldn't go that far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 02:32 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,685,580 times
It's cultural. It's a northern Mexican tradition that has transferred to south Texas. Nothing more, nothing less. I tried it for the first time earlier this summer and was surprised by it. It's a mix of sweet and sour all together.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:47 PM

I like SWEET! I like SOUR!
But chili powder? I can acquire a taste for most things, but I don't ever see myself being able to adapt to this cultural clash of flavors. It hits you like eating spoiled or rotten meat. Gag reflexes react ...
I love peanut candy. MMMmmm... I love the dried fruit candies. MMMMmmm ...
Does anyone know where or why this came a cultural thing to begin with? Chili Powder and sweets?

Old 11-28-2010, 02:48 PM

434 posts, read 1,123,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasells1 View Post
I don't know, but WHY?!!! Why would you put Chili Powder on a sucker? Or Watermelon?
I just happen to get curious and tried something new. A mexican sucker. Is that offensive to call it that? It's what my hispanic friend called it.

Tasted like a turd covered in burnt hair. Smelled like big foot's ... Ha ha. No I wouldn't go that far.
Wow! I never had the desire to try a turd covered in burnt hair, but if I ever do get the urge I will know beforehand what to expect! ...LOL...

Old 11-28-2010, 02:55 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,614,136 times
I'm a big fan of the chili powder and melon thing. I also love the sweet corn in a cup with mayo and chili powder.

I grew up in a tiny little farm town in Central Illinois. Everyone was white. The only "diversity" we had was religion - Catholic...or not. I mention this only to point out that the whole chili powder thing was new to me when I moved here.

And hey, OP, a little less judgement. Fine if you don't like something but the turd covered in burnt hair comment was over the top (and really gross - do you REALLY eat turds? How else would you know what it tastes like?).

Last edited by LindaGrace; 11-28-2010 at 03:59 PM..

Old 11-28-2010, 03:46 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,770,225 times
Quote:

This post has absolutely no merit whatsoever.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:12 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,826,047 times
Sounds to me like you have a vast experience in eating things most of us wouldn't even get close to. No wonder ya don't like chili powder!

Old 11-28-2010, 06:27 PM

443 posts, read 954,062 times
Reminds me of a bad Jerry Seinfeld impression....

Old 11-28-2010, 06:30 PM

160 posts, read 233,799 times
Quote:
I like SWEET! I like SOUR!
But chili powder? I can acquire a taste for most things, but I don't ever see myself being able to adapt to this cultural clash of flavors. It hits you like eating spoiled or rotten meat. Gag reflexes react ...
I love peanut candy. MMMmmm... I love the dried fruit candies. MMMMmmm ...
Does anyone know where or why this came a cultural thing to begin with? Chili Powder and sweets?
You like Green Eggs + Ham too?

Old 11-28-2010, 06:57 PM

I guess none of you ever watched Anchorman. So I guess the quote was useless. It was supposed to be in humor. Sorry if I offended anyone.

LindaGrace, Now I would try the sweet corn, mayo and chili powder.

Redneck. I didn't say I didn't like chili powder. There is so many things it deepens the flavors of.
But I guess everyone who commented has tried candy with chili powder before? What did you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio