Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 03:20 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times

Advertisements

I was hoping someone (maybe one of our resident realtors) could shed some light on this mystery...

Does anyone know what happened to this development on Scenic Loop Road just north of Cross Mountain Trail east of Leon Springs?

The main road now has a fence across it, the office at the entrance is gone, and all the palm trees whose shadows you can clearly see in the photo have been removed.

We drove through it once and there were some nice lots for sale. We drove by last weekend and saw it in its current state. Did the developer go under?

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 09:18 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,708 times
I could be wrong but that sounds and looks like the development The Palmira. I'm not sure if the development is still on or not, but I know it was facing concerns due to having land in the Camp Bullis buffer zone.

It is supposed to be the 2011 Parade of Homes. San Antonio Parade of Homes 2011 - Held in The Palmira - Elegance in Design Custom Home Builder

Old 11-28-2010, 10:03 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Yep, you are right, as according to a Google search the address for that development is almost exactly at the same spot!

Notice the "three year money back guarantee?" I wonder what that was about!

And the website listed (http://www.thepalmira.com/) is not working.

But here's the Bullis connection you mentioned: Bullis backers bristle at Palmira development (http://www.mysanantonio.com/community/north_central/Bullis_backers_bristle_at_Palmira_development.html - broken link)

So I don't think we'll be seeing it in the Parade of Homes next year!

Thanks! M2

Old 11-30-2010, 05:19 AM

1,671 posts, read 3,842,002 times
From what I heard yesterday at the office they went Belly Up. I've been by the place but never up inside the development and have been told there are some beautiful overlooks. Maybe the nice Palm Trees were taken as a form of payment?????

What's going on with Cresta Bella........ ? They "raped" several areas (something San Antonio Builder's / Developer's get away with pretty often) and as far as I can tell there isn't much activity (other than the Parade of Homes). Another sickening area is off of Luskey Road between Babcock and Camp Bullis Road. Several homes were started and everything came to a halt.

I know these developers's cannot control the economy but no way in hell should the COSA allow them to go into an area and mow down hillsides, trees, etc. at that level. Sure it may cost more to develop in smaller phases but why go in and be allowed to destroy so much until there is a greater demand. I think it's called GREED.

Last edited by wellguy; 11-30-2010 at 05:33 AM..

Old 11-30-2010, 06:11 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
From what I heard yesterday at the office they went Belly Up. I've been by the place but never up inside the development and have been told there are some beautiful overlooks. Maybe the nice Palm Trees were taken as a form of payment?????

What's going on with Cresta Bella........ ? They "raped" several areas (something San Antonio Builder's / Developer's get away with pretty often) and as far as I can tell there isn't much activity (other than the Parade of Homes). Another sickening area is off of Luskey Road between Babcock and Camp Bullis Road. Several homes were started and everything came to a halt.

I know these developers's cannot control the economy but no way in hell should the COSA allow them to go into an area and mow down hillsides, trees, etc. at that level. Sure it may cost more to develop in smaller phases but why go in and be allowed to destroy so much until there is a greater demand. I think it's called GREED.
I agree. Don't know how they get away with this crap. Remember that neighborhood in Stone Oak where all those trees were mowed down? Disgusting.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:19 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
Palmira went under. It was backed by a group of investors, which is never a good thing for a development, because when their Wall Street Money goes south, everything else does too. It was really a poorly planned subdivision from the beginning and while the views are nice, the lots weren't. The Parade definitely won't be there this year.

In fact, it's looking like we won't have one this year, and next year they'll move it up to May instead of August. Much nicer weather. Most likely in the Dominion.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:08 AM

322 posts, read 748,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post

I took pictures of the destruction last year. I couldn't believe how many hilltops they had bulldozed over in that area.

If you click this picture and look at the far right, you can make out new apartments on Babcock. This was taken from the top of the development.(Click on the image to enlarge)

This is looking back up at the hilltop. The tractor on the left gives a sense of scale.(Click on the image to enlarge)

(click on the image to enlarge)

I couldn't believe how many of these developments were all over that area of San Antonio. Seems like they were all along Kyle Seale Parkway too.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:14 PM

5 posts, read 11,306 times
They are having a parade this year. It will be in Champions Ridge. The Dominion will be in 2012.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:17 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,315 times
Pave paradise....Put up a parking lot..

about the same as a parking lot anyways. The other reference to the serious land clearing a few years ago in Stone Oak...I'm thinking the reference is the development by Pulte or some other builder and it was actually on the east side of 281 which is not part of Stone Oak.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:24 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,047,374 times
What a shame....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio