U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:28 AM

49 posts, read 105,203 times

Advertisements

As the title implies, I'm looking for either. I live in the North East, and refuse to pay $35/day at Rob Cary for a little cat. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 09:52 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,203,260 times
Get a neighbor kid to check in on/feed the kitty once or twice a day? You might be able to find one through your HOA. I bet a 12 year-old would love to do that for $5/day (or a little more if litter box tending is involved).

Old 11-29-2010, 10:17 AM

2,790 posts, read 5,183,783 times
When I first came into this thread it was because I thought you were talking about some new extreme sport!

I didn't know you were actually talking about boarding a cat!

I didn't read the 2nd half of the thread title... I have got to slow down...

Old 11-29-2010, 11:07 AM

62 posts, read 93,007 times
Not sure if this is far from where you are, but we've had good luck with Lincoln Heights Animal Hospital - at the intersection of Basse/Nacogdoches and Broadway. We have an older cat and board him when we go away b/c he has some medical issues. It's not super cheap, but definitely not $35 a night!

Old 11-29-2010, 03:00 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,324,131 times
Petsmart is where we board our cat. I think they are about $14 if I remember correctly.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:20 PM

418 posts, read 689,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyb View Post
As the title implies, I'm looking for either. I live in the North East, and refuse to pay $35/day at Rob Cary for a little cat. Any recommendations?
How long will your cat need to be boarded?

I've had horrid experiences with boarding animals... better experiences
with leaving the cat at home with someone to check in on them.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul56 View Post
How long will your cat need to be boarded?

I've had horrid experiences with boarding animals... better experiences
with leaving the cat at home with someone to check in on them.
I'm not sure exactly how long, maybe a week. I"m going to visit family in the Beaumont area. Since I"m new to the area, I don't have anyone that can just stop by and check on him. Fortunately, I found a tiny breeder/groomer/boarder about 5 minutes from my mom's house, so that if the place is horrendous, I can pull my cat out. The dog will be fine. She's going to play with the other dogs at my mom's house. I just needed somewhere for the cat.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:00 PM

117 posts, read 298,878 times
A week in a small cage seems pretty traumatic for a cat. Cats are really territorial so it would be best if you kept it at home. If your cat doesn't have stranger anxiety then having a cat sitter check in on them (petsitter.com) every few days would be nice but really the cat should be fine on its own for a week. Just leave the cat several bowls of water and a whole lot of food and an extra cat box. close all of the doors so that the cat can't get locked in a room or prop them open with chairs and tie up any shade strings. Also be sure to close all of the lids to the toilet seats so that the cat can't get trapped.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:40 AM

418 posts, read 689,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyb View Post
I'm not sure exactly how long, maybe a week. I"m going to visit family in the Beaumont area. Since I"m new to the area, I don't have anyone that can just stop by and check on him. Fortunately, I found a tiny breeder/groomer/boarder about 5 minutes from my mom's house, so that if the place is horrendous, I can pull my cat out. The dog will be fine. She's going to play with the other dogs at my mom's house. I just needed somewhere for the cat.
Hopefully you have a better experience than what I had... and my poor cat.

She was a purebred RagDoll breed of about 18 pounds... very gentle and easy to get along with but somewhat strong willed.

I took her to the boarding place in a very small cage only meant for short distance/time transport. The cage was so small that she could not fully stand up and just barely turn around.

She spend the whole 3-days in that cage at the boarding place... yes you read that right... the whole 3-days.

She was a mess when I got her back. She could barely walk and was traumatized... not the same pet at all. It took almost a week for her to return to normal.

This wasn't a place in town here.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cddweller View Post
A week in a small cage seems pretty traumatic for a cat. Cats are really territorial so it would be best if you kept it at home. If your cat doesn't have stranger anxiety then having a cat sitter check in on them (petsitter.com) every few days would be nice but really the cat should be fine on its own for a week. Just leave the cat several bowls of water and a whole lot of food and an extra cat box. close all of the doors so that the cat can't get locked in a room or prop them open with chairs and tie up any shade strings. Also be sure to close all of the lids to the toilet seats so that the cat can't get trapped.
My cat is... odd. He's very atypical for a cat. He loves all new people and animals, travels well, isn't territorial, walks on a leash and comes when called. He essentially acts like a dog. The problem with that is that he doesn't like to be left alone. In the past when we've left him at home, he would cry from being lonely and molest anyone who came to visit him. He boards rather well, too. He's just a weird cat. The plan is currently to take him with me and board him at a place in town if he's unsure at my mom's house. Hopefully all is well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio