Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 11:21 PM

48 posts, read 87,706 times

Advertisements

dont even get me started on the self check outs! (they should be 5-10 items MAX and credit/debit only)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 11:40 PM

948 posts, read 1,841,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
so a small little text holding up the line irritates people? why not flip the tortilla and ask oneself if people that hold up the line by

Digging their pockets for loose change to provide the exact amount of pennies

Taking items out that they dont want after the cashier rung them up

Not paying attention to their kids and while they go round them up as the cashier waits till they come back to the register.

Writing a Check who does that? and have they heard of a check card

after they get their receipt/ change they take their sweet time looking at it, check their heart rate, put away their change, etc...

Bottom line Patience is a virtue friends, nobody is perfect. if you are that irritated about it next time use a self check out
I disagree. Cashiers are there to serve us...they are getting paid to do a job, HUGE difference. If it was between customers...if it was slow...who cares. To do that in the middle of a transaction is unacceptable. The fact that it's against the rules means it's unacceptable. I think it's just a fundamental problem with customer service these days. You're there to...DUH...serve the customer. That is your number 1 priority, you are getting paid to do that. If you can't do that, then maybe you'd be better at picking up trash. BTW, the "you" is not anyone here...just symbolic for the customer service person that would do such a thing.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:45 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,167,247 times
I'd rather the clerk text than try to make inane conversation with me

Old 12-01-2010, 06:48 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
so a small little text holding up the line irritates people? why not flip the tortilla and ask oneself if people that hold up the line by

Digging their pockets for loose change to provide the exact amount of pennies

Taking items out that they dont want after the cashier rung them up

Not paying attention to their kids and while they go round them up as the cashier waits till they come back to the register.

Writing a Check who does that? and have they heard of a check card

after they get their receipt/ change they take their sweet time looking at it, check their heart rate, put away their change, etc...

Bottom line Patience is a virtue friends, nobody is perfect. if you are that irritated about it next time use a self check out
Blizzard beat me to a response to this but let me add mine anyway.

When I hold up the line by writing a check , I am spending my hard earned money in that store. When I take a minute to read the receipt, it's to make sure I wasn't over charged, when I take something out after it was rung up it's because it was the wrong price, and yes sometimes I dig for even change.

There is a big difference.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:10 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I'd rather the clerk text than try to make inane conversation with me
Not me, I appreciate clerks being chatty, smiling, etc...

Better than them seeming like they are disinterested or just in an awful mood.

A higher pitched "did you find everything OK" is even welcomed! Not sure I'd consider it fake so much as trying.

I also use pennies but will attempt to have them in my hand so I can quickly issue them out if necessary and trying to get rid of some.

I overlook my receipt once I step out of line at the grocery store. The few times I have found mistakes cannot justify me holding up the line each and every time I go shopping. Just not fair to those behind me and it also is not fair to the cashier who at some places are rated by how many ring-ups they do an hour.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:25 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db6709 View Post
So its the day before thanksgiving, and the girl at the HEB checkout scans my first two items, then actually stops to send a text message on her phone she has hidden behind the register! Of course she then proceeds to the fake, higher pitched "did you find everything ok" speech as if nothing. You better believe I reported her to a supervisor.

Once at a Charlies, this girl who had just finished topping my sandwich, pulls out her phone to send a text, and THEN hands the sandwich to me over the counter.

Is it really that difficult for these teenagers to put down the phone and just do their jobs?
She's none too bright - slowing down will lower her incentive pay. She must be new.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:34 AM

1,720 posts, read 4,503,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzrd View Post
I disagree. Cashiers are there to serve us...they are getting paid to do a job, HUGE difference. If it was between customers...if it was slow...who cares. To do that in the middle of a transaction is unacceptable. The fact that it's against the rules means it's unacceptable. I think it's just a fundamental problem with customer service these days. You're there to...DUH...serve the customer. That is your number 1 priority, you are getting paid to do that. If you can't do that, then maybe you'd be better at picking up trash. BTW, the "you" is not anyone here...just symbolic for the customer service person that would do such a thing.
some customers demand to be waited on though, but everyone is different I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Blizzard beat me to a response to this but let me add mine anyway.

When I hold up the line by writing a check , I am spending my hard earned money in that store. When I take a minute to read the receipt, it's to make sure I wasn't over charged, when I take something out after it was rung up it's because it was the wrong price, and yes sometimes I dig for even change.

There is a big difference.
have you heard of a check card? some even offer points which later can be redeemed for cash, gift cards, or merchandise

I'll add this... I rather go thru HEB Checkouts than walmart's thats for sure!!!

Old 12-01-2010, 08:11 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
I hate texting in almost all forms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Wow, that's quite a trifling thing to report to a supervisor!
Should they call 311 instead?

Old 12-01-2010, 08:11 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Then I guess I am because I will continue to demand it when I spend money in a store that I have a choice to shop or not shop in. When I am standing in front of that check out counter, I am whats important ( well, my money anyway).
Would you really choose not to shop in a store because of a slow cashier?

How many times does this trick work before you run of stores or end up driving a good distance for basic things?

Why do people feel entitled just because they are spending money somewhere? What for a couple of bucks, or even a couple of hundred at the grocery store, will we all demand hospitality like we were at the Ritz?

I understand some stores hype up their customer service to employees but please it's a cashier ~_~ Someone who has to see hundreds of people a day pass through their line, some grumpy, some slow, it is unreasonable to expect them to pretend that you are the most important thing that ever walked into the store.

If anything I am the one who feels grateful and tell them 'thank you' before they can thank me. It is also doubtful the manager will do anything because they understand all this. A crank customer is just that.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:59 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Would you really choose not to shop in a store because of a slow cashier?

How many times does this trick work before you run of stores or end up driving a good distance for basic things?

Why do people feel entitled just because they are spending money somewhere? What for a couple of bucks, or even a couple of hundred at the grocery store, will we all demand hospitality like we were at the Ritz?

I understand some stores hype up their customer service to employees but please it's a cashier ~_~ Someone who has to see hundreds of people a day pass through their line, some grumpy, some slow, it is unreasonable to expect them to pretend that you are the most important thing that ever walked into the store.

If anything I am the one who feels grateful and tell them 'thank you' before they can thank me. It is also doubtful the manager will do anything because they understand all this. A crank customer is just that.
There is a difference in courtesy and hospitality. Being slow is not the same as being rude. Expecting an employee to pay attention to what they are doing is not being entitled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio