Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 10:41 PM

11 posts, read 24,724 times

Advertisements

Woo! Good job. Hope steep hills weren't too terrible if you encountered any.

priscilla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 08:37 AM

291 posts, read 605,427 times
Great Job!! Glad you enjoyed it .

Old 12-03-2010, 05:50 PM

29 posts, read 67,091 times
Glad you enjoyed driving manual transmission. You'll get the hang of it fast now. You will get the feel of your clutch and get a sense of the play between it and the accelerator, and then even starting up on an incline won't be a big deal. Keep practicing the downshifting, because you will need it. If you ever live in an area that gets snow and ice, downshifting will be your friend--you can just go more slowly and keep shifting down to a red light, for example, rather than using the brakes and risk skidding in really bad weather. But even here in TX, you'll be doing it. Hope you continue to like driving stick!

Old 12-05-2010, 05:03 PM

9 posts, read 25,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephlurry View Post
Next month i think. It's an RX-8, and i sure as hell hope so lol. Rotaries don't really have a good history of long lasting engines.

I need to learn now though, which is why i'm getting pretty desperate. not being able to drive the car off the lot is embarassing...

Actually rotary engines in general are extremely reliable, there's a reason Helicopter manufacturers elect to have rotary engines installed in their chassis. Their light, very efficient, and extremely long lasting. The trick with a Rotary as with pretty much any engine is lubrication. The engine has an oil injection pump, (Oil Metering Pump) in which you will need to continually refill this to lubricate multiple parts primarily the Apex seal. This is of course on top the existing oil sump. From my own experience working in the auto field, I recommend using a high quality synthetic in the sump and a high quality petroleum for the Metering Pump. Just a little info i figured i'd share with ya.

BTW, before you buy the car, if you haven't already i recommend taking the car to a reputable mechanic that is knowledgeable with Rotary engines and get a compression check done on all faces.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:36 PM

5,643 posts, read 15,649,868 times
I don't think there's any advantage anymore with manual vs. automatic. As a matter of fact, I believe Consumer Reports did a study showing that the latest automatics save more gas.

But, if you wanna drive stick, then go for it! I remember when an 85 year old grandma wanted to buy a used car and she could only afford a manual transmission. The dealer taught her how to do it and she drove off that same day with her new car. I don't know what she was more proud of--the new car or her new skill.

I haven't driven a manual car in a long time, but I did learn how to drive a stick shift from a crusty old WWII vet in a 1944 military Willy Jeep a few years ago. I was yelled at the whole time by the ol' bastard as he hit me in the hand everytime I shifted too soon. We drove up and down an abandoned crop dusting strip out in the South Texas brush land. He had his leg blown off by a Japanese mortar in the Pacific. I remember when I drove up in a Toyota and man did he have a field day. He vowed never to buy anything Japanese and he did not talk to me for over a month.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:15 PM

4,287 posts, read 7,989,170 times
Wow. A WRX STi. Niiiiiiiiice. I'm rather jeals. Glad you had fun, though, for sure. And a girl that drives manual?! *swoons*

Old 12-06-2010, 09:15 AM

29 posts, read 67,091 times
Actually, manual transmissions still get better mileage, according to Consumer Reports, within specific car models, but automatic transmissions in some models may do better than manual transmissions in other models. Article is here:

Fuel economy test manual vs automatic transmission

Old 12-06-2010, 03:08 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,592,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Wow. A WRX STi. Niiiiiiiiice. I'm rather jeals. Glad you had fun, though, for sure. And a girl that drives manual?! *swoons*
It isn't THAT unusual!

Old 12-06-2010, 07:05 PM

5,643 posts, read 15,649,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILtoTX View Post
Actually, manual transmissions still get better mileage, according to Consumer Reports, within specific car models, but automatic transmissions in some models may do better than manual transmissions in other models. Article is here:

Fuel economy test manual vs automatic transmission
Cool, thanks for setting me straight. I have a 2008 Ford Focus SES...love that car. $15-20 bucks to fill up! 35mpg...nice.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:04 PM

31 posts, read 73,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironsides View Post
Actually rotary engines in general are extremely reliable, there's a reason Helicopter manufacturers elect to have rotary engines installed in their chassis. Their light, very efficient, and extremely long lasting. The trick with a Rotary as with pretty much any engine is lubrication. The engine has an oil injection pump, (Oil Metering Pump) in which you will need to continually refill this to lubricate multiple parts primarily the Apex seal. This is of course on top the existing oil sump. From my own experience working in the auto field, I recommend using a high quality synthetic in the sump and a high quality petroleum for the Metering Pump. Just a little info i figured i'd share with ya.

BTW, before you buy the car, if you haven't already i recommend taking the car to a reputable mechanic that is knowledgeable with Rotary engines and get a compression check done on all faces.
Hmm this is very interesting information. Is it a good idea to use synthetic early on or drive a couple thousand miles then use synth instead of dino? I planned to put 93 octane in the tank. I guess i'll do some research on what a metering pump and sump is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio