Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 09:39 PM

205 posts, read 602,989 times

Advertisements

Anyone in SA have experienced/used specialty gutters that never clog or rarely clog from leaves/debris, etc. (as advertised by the dealer)?

Or anyone consider installing those?

How do they compare to regular gutters that can clog up, in terms of quality and price?

I'm particularly referring to these types of gutters compared to the regular standard gutters:

GutterMaxx leaf free no clog gutters
Gutters San Antonio | Seamless Rain Gutters Systems | LeafGuard by Beldon

I'm considering these on a 2 story home but not sure whether to go with them or regular gutters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
If you've ever cleaned gutters, it's easy to appreciate the value of the kind that don't collect leaves. Cleaning gutters is a stinky, mucky job. If they're on the second floor, add "scary" to that list of adjectives.

Although I've had gutters on every other house I've ever owned in other states, I don't have gutters on my house here. My builder didn't include them and I prefer to keep my foundation evenly watered with the water from my roof.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:16 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,733,223 times
Unless your roof drains on all four sides(hip roof and not a gable roof), you're not getting even drainage.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:28 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,974 times
You can do regular gutters and use the mesh attachments so you won't have debris clogging your gutters. It's a more inexpensive way to do the same thing and DIY, especially if you have a 1 story house.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:33 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,733,223 times
I think on a 2 story, it's would be better to go ahead and spring the extra bucks for the leaf-free gutters. Cleaning your gutters on a two story is no way to injure yourself.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:05 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
One of the reasons we loved our builder - everything they do is hip roof - MUCH better for the foundation. Even with a gable roof - soaker hoses on 2 sides, roof drainage on the others...

Old 12-02-2010, 11:50 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,884,909 times
I have an older 2 story house. I took all the gutters off. I don't know what kind of roof it is(hip or gable). I do know there is runoff from all four sides. Considering the amount of rain and the intensity of the rain when does rain, I figured the gutters were only good for holding moisture and rotting the wood underneath of the gutters. I've had no problems with the foundation or from not having gutters. I'm not going to have something I would have to clean 2 stories up.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:44 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,207,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
I have an older 2 story house. I took all the gutters off. I don't know what kind of roof it is(hip or gable). I do know there is runoff from all four sides. Considering the amount of rain and the intensity of the rain when does rain, I figured the gutters were only good for holding moisture and rotting the wood underneath of the gutters. I've had no problems with the foundation or from not having gutters. I'm not going to have something I would have to clean 2 stories up.
I agree, we removed our gutters to find rotting facia boards underneath
No more gutters for us.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:08 PM

205 posts, read 602,989 times
Thanks for all the feedback.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:30 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Expert said:

There are some great gutter cover designs, however, everyone I have tested has allowed some smaller debris to enter my gutters.
Gutter cleaning, as you well know, is not just a fall activity. Gutters can become clogged in the spring as deciduous trees litter roofs with seed pods, flower petals, buds and small leaves felled by spring storms. It is not uncommon for me to clean my gutters at least four times a year.

All of the products do an excellent job of prohibiting full sized leaves from entering your gutters. That is a simple task. However, many of the gutter cover products fail to stop tiny tree flower buds, seed pods and evergreen needles from entering gutters.

There are many, many gutter guard products out there. Some designs have been around for many years. I was not able to test every single gutter guard for this column.
However, it appears that every single design that I tested failed in the springtime. This spring, we had a normal amount of debris fall from our trees.
Gutter Guards - Do They Really Work?

Well, you can try this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001R4CPME/?tag=psblg-20 but make sure you read the reviews first.

So, whatever you install, be assured that you will never be completely debris free and you would still have to clean your gutters periodically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio