Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,899 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the San Antonio area soon. I am in my 40's recently divorced with 2 children about to enter college. i'll basically be on my own. I'd like to live on a few acres possibly finally have my own horse! My job is set and i can do it from my house so that isn't an issue but i like to play golf and shoot and hike. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 05:16 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
If you want a few acres with horses, you'll probably have to be a bit outside of the city limits. To the north there's Fair Oaks ranch and the Boerne area, and plenty of places to the south outside of 1604. We've also got lots of places to golf, shoot and hike.

Read the relocation sticky at the top of the forum, and then let us know if you have any specific questions.

There are also threads on golfing, shooting/guns and hiking/biking that you can search for.

Oh, and welcome to San Antonio!

Cheers! M2

Old 12-02-2010, 10:19 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,823,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinone View Post
I am moving to the San Antonio area soon. I am in my 40's recently divorced with 2 children about to enter college. i'll basically be on my own. I'd like to live on a few acres possibly finally have my own horse! My job is set and i can do it from my house so that isn't an issue but i like to play golf and shoot and hike. Any suggestions?
I'll send you a PM regarding San Antonio. IMO,there are much nicer places to live than this, especially for someone that's not stuck working there.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:49 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
LOL @ firstclassflyer.

The southside has a lot of land just outside of 410 and you'll be close to Palo Alto College, St. Philip's College Southwest, and Texas A&M - San Antonio. On the far northside outside of 1604, you'll be close to Wayland Baptist University, UTSA, and Northeast Lakeview College. The far WNW side is near Northwest Vista College. There is also a lot of land on the east side outside of 1604 and that's a short drive to St. Philip's College. Basically any part of San Antonio outside of 1604 has a lot of land (outside of the developed areas near Stone Oak) and the southside has a lot of land just outside of 410.

Here is a population density map.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/planning/p...s/0301GR17.pdf

Old 12-03-2010, 03:48 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,876,366 times
I would recommend you DM a fellow C-D user by the name of TexasHorseLady and ask her if she has any referrals for a real estate agent in San Antonio that deals in equestrian real estate or just horse property in general. She might be familiar with the area herself. She or they will know which area to find the best soil for pasture and, I am assuming, the flat land you will desire for your dream horse.

The Poteet, Boerne, and East Central areas come to the top of my mind of places with horses.

Last edited by Merovee; 12-03-2010 at 03:58 AM..

Old 12-03-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
I'll send you a PM regarding San Antonio. IMO,there are much nicer places to live than this, especially for someone that's not stuck working there.
Well, the vast majority of people who move here love it; but there will always be the few outliers who blame the city for their inability to find happiness here!

As I've previously stated, there are numerous communities in and around San Antonio where you can have several acres and a horse on your property.

And welcome to San Antonio, where most are welcomed with open arms! There are a few exceptions, but for the most part Texans are friendly to everyone unless they are complete idiots!

Cheers! M2

Old 12-03-2010, 06:51 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times
Dunno if shooting would fly in Fair Oaks Ranch... isn't it incorporated now? Something about discharging firearms in town might not be ok.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Dunno if shooting would fly in Fair Oaks Ranch... isn't it incorporated now? Something about discharging firearms in town might not be ok.
I don't think the OP intended to shoot on his own property, but if he did I apologize for misunderstanding that! I thought he was only mentioning some other hobbies he had.

Restrictions for shooting on private property vary by county. I have a friend who lives south of SA and he doesn't have that much land, but was able to legally build an area to shoot on it. He is a gunsmith and uses the area to test his works, and he also conducts CHL qualifications there.

If it was the intent of the OP to shoot on his property, he'll have to check the regulations in the county he ends up in. The county clerk's office would be a good place to start!

Cheers! M2

Old 12-03-2010, 07:11 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
There are places to hunt near Camp Bullis and on the southside between IH-35 and 281 outside of 410. There are also shooting ranges in those areas.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:57 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,678 times
Moderator cut: off topic

Pipe Creek and Bandera may have what the OP is looking for, close enough to the city but far enough out for shootin' targets and ridin' the pony.

Last edited by Bo; 12-05-2010 at 02:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio