Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 02:23 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,793,767 times

Advertisements

Windcrest became the place to see lights after Hiawatha and other streets on the city's southeast side went dim. Yep for the 60's and early 70's Hiawatha and other streets next to it were the place to go. Just north of Fair Ave and between Gevers and Goliad Road. (McCreless Mall area) The entire town knew it was the Christmas lights king! Now lights are so cheap everywhere is fantasy land. We don't need to leave our neighborhood to get our fill!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 04:05 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,873,632 times
That is awesome to know considering I grew up right in that area. There was this tall evergreen tree that looked like a huge Christmas tree which I always wanted to string with lights. This was in the '80s long after the area went dim. I never knew. Dan Cook used to own the house right next to ours but sold it to a German (descent) family before we moved in.

Wish I could see pictures from that era.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:16 AM

905 posts, read 2,958,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Windcrest became the place to see lights after Hiawatha and other streets on the city's southeast side went dim. Yep for the 60's and early 70's Hiawatha and other streets next to it were the place to go. Just north of Fair Ave and between Gevers and Goliad Road. (McCreless Mall area) The entire town knew it was the Christmas lights king! Now lights are so cheap everywhere is fantasy land. We don't need to leave our neighborhood to get our fill!
I remember Hiawatha and all the lights, especially one house that had an angel ringing a bell on the roof or chimney.

Shavano Estates off NW Military, between Huebner and DeZavala had quite a few lights up in the past. I load up the kids and one of the dogs to go look at lights at least once a week, but we missed it last week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio