Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 11:12 PM

25 posts, read 64,883 times

Advertisements

Yet another relocatee from California. My husband was transferred to TX for next 2 years. We have never been there and would like some advice..We are used to long commutes and traffic. He will be employed near Victoria. We are thinking of living in Austin/San Antonio because I think my 3 teens will be in culture shock as it is having never been out of CA (San Diego)
1. Enlighten me on the humidity...are my kids gonna hate us hahaha for this move?
2. My family is very "artsy" and music plays a big part...
3. Unfortunately this move comes mid year for one of my children(Junior) in Highschool. Any great HSchool's or even Catholic High school suggestions greatly appreciated.
and last:
We realize Victoria is a good 100plus miles away. Is the drive traffic/desolate
Any cities adjacent that you may suggest that have a bigger town/city feel?
Many thanks in advance-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 11:37 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,862,397 times
Central Catholic, for boys, and Providence, for girls, are the most popular Catholic High Schools in town. Ursuline was better for girls but closed its doors a while back.

I have family in Victoria and it is a good drive from here. A bit of a commute if you ask me. Houston is about the same distance to Victoria as SA is to Victoria.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:39 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,446,591 times
A lot of people say the humidity is not as bad as Houston or Florida, but I haven't been to either one of those places. We do have quite a few 100% humidity days in the summer and you can't get any higher than that.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:01 AM

9,843 posts, read 13,641,280 times
We have a satalite office in Victoria with staff that commute to our office in NE SA every so often. It's a drive. It's probably a good 2 hours. Given the enourmity of Texas it's not too horrible of a drive, but nonetheless it's too far to live in Victoria and work in San Antonio. If you're looking for weekend getaways or visiting family very often then it's not too bad.

And even thougha tad outdated the http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...index-san.html thread is a good option for newcomers.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:33 AM

229 posts, read 671,124 times
What makes the commute to Victoria "bad" is the fact that it is not on an interstate and you have to go through a number of small towns to get there. You are looking at about two hours from San Antonio. More if you live on the North or Northwest parts of the city.

Depending on the type of music your family is interested in, i'm sure you will most likely find San Antonio adequate. SA has a very good youth symphony as well as several good community programs geared towards young people. High School band here is a huge thing. Orchestra less so, but that depends where you go to school. SA has a small but good Jazz community. Mexican music is big here, if you are into that stuff, including mariachi and conjunto. I was a musician for many years and was never dissatisfied with the offerings here. And Austin is always an hour away if you are into the live music scene.

AS far as the weather is concerned, I'm sure you will find the humidity uncomfortable for a year or two, but you will get used to it. It is not as bad as living on the coast. Just be prepared for a long, hot summer(May-September).

Old 12-06-2010, 09:57 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,941,853 times
Standby for a DM from some guy named First Class Flyer who will espouse all the negativity he accumulated here in San Antonio. I expect it will be quite hurtful to him that you would leave his beloved California for what he feels is such a terrible place (but which seems to be one of the most popular places in the country to visit or move to!).

Victoria is actually closer to Corpus Christi, so you may try that forum. Otherwise, it is pretty centrally located between there, SA and Houston. It's about two hours from everywhere!

Good luck! M2

Old 12-06-2010, 11:13 AM

779 posts, read 1,657,487 times
when you say "near victoria", where exactly? that could make the drive even worse.
"near victoria" could mean: cuero, port lavaca, seadrift, halletsville, etc...

if it were cuero, then your drive would only be 1:30 hrs. if it were seadrift, then it would be 2:30 hrs. food for thought.

and yes you do have to go through several towns, but it's not bad. lately there has been a ton of roadkill though thanks to the colder weather. ran over a carcass on 87 coming back from victoria just a few weeks ago. that was fun to clean...

Old 12-06-2010, 11:47 AM

25 posts, read 64,883 times
Thank you so much for all the input. I wish I knew what I meant when I say "near Victoria" as well haha I am just going by the info my husband has passed to me and took it upon myself to PI this situation haha I believe we have decided to live in SA or Austin (we will see on our two week trip via car this Christmas) and he will work the week and come home the weekends at this point.
Humidity scares me but doesn't deter me - we have no choice and I have a very close friend not to mention acquaintances from both SA/Austin who love their state and hometowns so much far surpassing my love for the Golden State - and we are natives but we are also excited for change and for the kids to see more of America Believe it or not...I understand it's not all about us.. (Californiaians) hahaha
Well two hours seems horrible to me but he is willing to make the sacrifice so the kids are in a bigger town, live music and larger school choice.
Thank you again and I am ready to hang our BIG star above the fireplace (thanks to my Texas friends here in CA for providing my first decor item) Love it!

Old 12-06-2010, 08:41 PM

657 posts, read 1,932,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8tvCA View Post
Yet another relocatee from California. My husband was transferred to TX for next 2 years. We have never been there and would like some advice..We are used to long commutes and traffic. He will be employed near Victoria. We are thinking of living in Austin/San Antonio because I think my 3 teens will be in culture shock as it is having never been out of CA (San Diego)
1. Enlighten me on the humidity...are my kids gonna hate us hahaha for this move?
2. My family is very "artsy" and music plays a big part...
3. Unfortunately this move comes mid year for one of my children(Junior) in Highschool. Any great HSchool's or even Catholic High school suggestions greatly appreciated.
and last:
We realize Victoria is a good 100plus miles away. Is the drive traffic/desolate
Any cities adjacent that you may suggest that have a bigger town/city feel?
Many thanks in advance-

You probably should consider the Western Suburbs of Houston like Sugarland or ever a little further out in the Richmond/Rosenberg area. The drive will be all Freeway and take about the same amount time as coming from San Antonio. The Sugarland drive will be shorter than coming from the more desirable Northern San Antonio suburbs.

Though I would rather live in San Antonio than Houston I figured you should consider that option in your trade space.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:45 AM

12 posts, read 32,794 times
There are several Catholic HS's in San Antonio. My son is currently a senior at Central Catholic (all boys). My daughters went to Antonian (CoEd). I am a graduate of Incarnate Word (all girls). There is also Holy Cross (CoEd), Providence (girls) & St Anthonys (CoEd). All are good schools & you will just need to check them out & see which one is the right fit for your kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio