Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2010, 03:22 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,862,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Around 12:15 p.m., a student was robbed in the men's restroom at the Loftin Student Center on the campus in the 1300 block of San Pedro Avenue.

Moderator cut: sentences from the quote

Several buildings on the campus were placed on lockdown while police searched for the suspect.
Police lift lockdown at San Antonio College - San Antonio Express-News

Terrible but I found slight humor in the fact he had both a gun and a knife and displayed both during the robbery.

Even when I went to SAC there were always lots of unsavory characters who hung out there, especially since the food court, game room, and large screen TV's with cushy sofa's were there, though it was usually during the most busy times and by time it got real slow in the evening it seemed safer. It does not surprise me this happened in the morning or afternoon.

I guess the biggest threat then was fear of having your books or backpack stolen if you set them down even for a second.

Last edited by Bo; 12-07-2010 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: Please limit excerpts of copyrighted material to no more than 2 sentences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 01:55 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,447,644 times
I get emails all the time when there's a theft or robbery on an Alamo Community College campus. The worst two so far are SAC and Palo Alto. They might want to think about hiring more campus police officers or at least armed security if they can't afford more police officers. I rarely see them when I'm on campus. Students these days have expensive cell phones, calculators, laptops, and mp3 players on their person.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:43 PM

3 posts, read 63,378 times
I found this somewhat funny. I'm going to SAC next semester and was in the student center buying books that day. I'd left about 15 minutes before the crime was supposed to have happened. Being used to NVC's campus I was definitely a little on edge walking around alone on SAC's campus....but then I'd heard they have more than their share of shady people there too.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:02 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,943,565 times
It's because of the state's ridiculous law not allowing those with CHLs to carry on campus. Gov Perry mentioned that those restrictions needed to be readdressed after the Virginia Tech shootings, but so far nothing has come against it.

Criminals prowl on college campuses because they know the chances of getting shot while committing a crime are far less.

Allow those trusted by the state to carry on campus and I guarantee you that there will be a decrease in such incidents...

Last edited by majormadmax; 12-09-2010 at 09:12 PM..

Old 12-10-2010, 05:31 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,862,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orkid View Post
I found this somewhat funny. I'm going to SAC next semester and was in the student center buying books that day. I'd left about 15 minutes before the crime was supposed to have happened. Being used to NVC's campus I was definitely a little on edge walking around alone on SAC's campus....but then I'd heard they have more than their share of shady people there too.
Sounds like you lucked out! I guess it would not hurt to try and visit the restroom when a small crowd is in there, safety in numbers and all.

I am somewhat doubting this account though unless dual wield is the newest skill awarded the thief class. In either case it sounds like the robber in question was lacking charisma points. <s>

Old 12-10-2010, 07:23 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,576,080 times
I second the Major's thoughts but I have another simple idea that might help some. Almost every major business and institution requires people who belong there to wear some sort of visible identification. I think college ID's should be modified to allow them to be displayed on your person in some manner. A college is there for students taking classes or visiting for some specific reason. It's not intended to be a neighborhood hang out. Requiring displayed ID's for students, faculty and visitors would be a good way for security and others to quickly spot someone who has no legitimate business there.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:52 AM

7,120 posts, read 11,791,487 times
A college tag would be nice, but in today's tech world, way easy to forge.

The days of our colleges being an open shooting gallery need to end. Allowing licensed concealed carry would go a long ways to allowing folks the resources needed to be able to defend themselves.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:43 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,576,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
A college tag would be nice, but in today's tech world, way easy to forge.

The days of our colleges being an open shooting gallery need to end. Allowing licensed concealed carry would go a long ways to allowing folks the resources needed to be able to defend themselves.
That's true, today they can forge anything. Drivers Licence, SSCard, Cashiers Checks, Money, you name it, but we still use them and most of the time they work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio