Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 06:25 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,877,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasparent2010 View Post
My child understands the impact of the situation, but should have the right to privacy. In the work place, people have the right to privacy when dealing with a disability. This is all that we are asking for.

In the olden days privacy was afforded because institutions such as schools could not adequately provide for the needs of others. Now we have laws in place to offer accommodation but it does require that loss of privacy in that one has to disclose their condition to be accommodated.

In either case the ultimate decision for privacy is yours and your child's. Hopefully those in charge of making the decision for accommodations at the school and district understand the situation fully and the request for privacy in this matter.

Sorry that the only thing I can ultimately recommend, and hopefully it is already being done, is psychological care for her and yourself as well. This is a terrible burden to carry around and while it might seem tolerable to cope with it is not exactly fair especially in the face of an uncooperative school district.

I would also suggest skipping past the school board and going all the way to the superintendent with medical files in hand and a demand for a private arrangement. This is the fair thing that should be done in your case because you and her know what is in her best interest. You are also doing what is right and expected being involved to this level and seeking what you feel is proper for your child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 10:01 AM

288 posts, read 926,555 times
Cornerstone Christian Online School here in town also offers a 1/2 year online health course. If getting a 1/2 credit will help, maybe you can check that out.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:41 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,645,484 times
I hope that they work it out so your child can take alternative courses instead of regular PE, Texasparent. My DH has practically no feeling in his feet and lower legs...that sort of thing can lead to serious problems. It would be terrible if your child ended up even more disabled as the result of PE classes. The districts should offer alternative courses if needed because of medical conditions.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:46 PM

22 posts, read 61,313 times
As a registrar at a high school in a neighboring district, these are my thoughts:

1.The option of taking a correspondence course through TX Tech is a great idea. However the family and not the school has to pay the appropriate fees. You might also want to check out UT Austin's K-12 program to see if maybe the fees will be lower. School districts can also accept correspondence credit from UT Austin.

2. Does NEISD have a district PE coordinator? In my district, if a student has a physical issue where they cannot participate in PE, the PE coordinator will authorize an alternate assignment depending on the condition which may include as little as writing several PE related essays.

3. Since your child is a freshman, she only needs 1 credit of PE in order to graduate. Students entering 9th grade in 2010-2011 and all years thereafter only need 1 credit of PE. Current 10-12 graders still need 1.5 credits.

4. Regarding Matttx's post regarding students skipping PE: A student can substitute but not skip PE. For years, students could substitute PE by taking ROTC, dance, marching band, athletics or being in a spirit organization. Students could also substitute PE by taking a 2-3 credit course such as Co-op or Auto Tech. Effective this school year, students cannot substitute dance for PE which boggles my mind. Effective next year, students cannot substitute the 2-3 credit courses for PE.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:58 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,967 times
Quote:
My child does NOT want to take adapted PE, as then the news of the disability would be made public to peers.
Let me tell you something. I have been disabled myself since birth and it is not very apparent right away. When I kept it private it created serious safety and social issues. There was a fire alarm and no one knew I couldn't hear it. I almost was left to sleep in a dorm on fire while everyone ran out the minute the smoke detectors started screeching.

If you are to the point where you project to your child that a disability has to be kept private because you consider it stigmatizing, then you need to consider counseling for yourself before your child encounters self esteeem and personal safety issues as a result. It is very common for parents of the disabled to feel guilt and become overprotective but this is something you will have to address on your own terms.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:40 AM

6 posts, read 19,540 times
I'm not sure I understand what you are looking for. If your child doesn't take PE and everyone else has to, don't you think the other kids and parents will be upset? If they don't know that your child has a disability, it will just look like you are getting special treatment. Don't you think that would cause your child to be treated badly by some people?

There school's responsibility is to educate every child as equally and fairly as possible. When it comes to special needs there are exceptions and adaptations made for those students, but each individual parent does not get to make up those exceptions and adaptations.

I agree with the other posters that the bigger problem here is that your child seems pathologically afraid of having her disability revealed. This may be her choice, but if she were my child I wouldn't encourage that belief. There are too many kids that can't hide their disabilities. Does she feel that those children should be ashamed? Again, how you handle this situation is your choice, but imo you are only causing more problems for yourself and your daughter in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio