U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 03:50 PM

10 posts, read 19,153 times

Advertisements

I'm a Texas parent of a NEISD child, and am looking for other parents with children that have been impacted by the NEISD Physical Education bylaw changes. The bylaws state that a medical professional can provide a letter to restrict or waive Physical requirements of PE. NEISD has removed that option from their health form.

Texas Bylaw:
74.31. Health Classifications for Physical Education.
For physical education, a district must classify each student, on the basis of health, into one of the following categories.

(1) Unrestricted
(2) Restricted -(A) Permanent, (B) Temporary.
(3) Adapted and remedial

If my child does not take the physical part of the PE classes, he/she will not be allowed to graduate with honors.

My child has the right to privacy, and should not have to risk injury, nor ridicule, because the district feels that they know what is best for my child. They have a written letter from the doctor that states the child should be exempt from all physical activity due to risk of injury and potential liability to the school.

In closing, I must add that 74.37. Public School Physical Education Curriculum, (3) states that the district must meet the needs of students of all physical ability levels.

I'd really like to hear from other parents, or people that would like to share their view point on this topic.

What ever happen the phrase, "In the best interest of the child!"

Last edited by texasparent2010; 12-09-2010 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: format
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 03:58 PM

2,216 posts, read 3,994,256 times
Is there a reason you are wanting to remove P.E.? Special Needs? Other? If you have a letter from your physician perhaps an ARD is due? Just a thought.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,213,308 times
NEISD may be doing that to crack down on parents who try to game the class rank system by exempting their kid from PE so that they can fit another AP class into the schedule. The competition for rank is fierce at some schools.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:25 PM

I'm well beyond an ARD at this point. I feel like I am in a loop that keeps repeating the same cycle.

My child has a neurological disorder which makes it difficult for him/her to tell when injury occurs. As a result, my child has broken two bones and has had several sprains associated with PE in the school system. To further complicate things, my child does not tell people about the disability- for fear of being treated or viewed differently.

I am at the end of my rope! I've gone up the chain to the district, and was told that they wanted to work with us. Only to be told that they will not waive the physical part of PE for any child, much less mine at the direction of the doctor. They will only adapt it to the child's needs, and they decide what those needs are. Who are they to tell my child's doctor what those needs are? Sorry to vent, just really frustrated.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:28 PM

NEISD has taken that into view, and made changes last year to keep that from occuring. My issue is not ranking, it is physical activity that puts my child in harms way. Any advise?

Old 12-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,213,308 times
If you've exhausted your options at the district level, get your school board rep involved. The rep may be able to advocate for your side with more leverage than you can and is likely to be more candid about the reasoning behind the policy change than staff will.

In my experience in other dealings with staff, they are more inclined to stick to procedure than work with parents to get around it. It can be difficult to get them to budge when they anchor themselves to a rule.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
If you've exhausted your options at the district level, get your school board rep involved. The rep may be able to advocate for your side with more leverage than you can and is likely to be more candid about the reasoning behind the policy change than staff will.

In my experience in other dealings with staff, they are more inclined to stick to procedure than work with parents to get around it. It can be difficult to get them to budge when they anchor themselves to a rule.
We are now following the grievances process, as talks over the past year have been fruitless. The issue with the grievance process is that it has to go back to the district level - the same people that told me that they were "God and Jury", before it can climb up to the board. This does little to ease my mind.

I want to protect my child's privacy, and they are bent on putting him/her in a position that would show case the disability. A disability which has been kept private by my child's wishes. The school knows about the disability for safety reasons, but classmates do not know.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:08 PM

431 posts, read 644,484 times
if they wont do pe, put them in a study hall with no credit problem solve!
im sure the kid could also get hurt hauling all those heavy books around; maybe he needs a wagon to pull, wait he might break his toe... wait maybe he should be home schooled

Old 12-09-2010, 05:10 PM

431 posts, read 644,484 times
also i dont know how they will ever graduate from college since a PFW is required for most degrees

Old 12-09-2010, 05:19 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,437,036 times
The latest requirement for PE is 1 credit. Take Healthy Lifestyles for 1/2 PE credit (and 1/2 health credit). Take an ONLINE PE course from Texas Tech :

Texas Tech University Independent School District - K-12 Distance Education ::

for the other 1/2 credit. make sure you get this pre-approved.

I am doing this for my son...the guidance counselor gave me the Texas Tech info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio