Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 11:05 AM

693 posts, read 1,502,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
http://www.city-data.com/forum/unemployment/
http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-employment/

These two city data forums listed above may be of help. There are regular posters who work in HR who may have some options/advice not mentioned here.

The work-employment forum is great but there are some rude posters. Other than it is still good to look at for information. Plenty of unemployed folks in there that can help you or understand what you're going through. I'm unemployed at the moment and the forum has helped me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 11:45 AM

31 posts, read 73,571 times
Majormadmax, the information you've posted is extremely valuable even though it might be common knowledge. I thank you as a college student for giving me more motivation to get certified in my professional degree based on your real world experiences.

I know the UTSA Rowdy Career Center has a tool that searches for potential employers. I was looking for an internship, and it listed several jobs in city and out of state as well. If you can find something similar of the sorts, it should aid you in searching for a variety of jobs

Old 12-12-2010, 12:32 PM

923 posts, read 1,502,715 times
ilovevintage: I am willing to bet that your husband put someone down as a reference who is not giving out favorable references.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:32 AM

119 posts, read 430,704 times
I thank everyone that has replied to my thread. My husband and I read over your posts together and we both really appreciate your input. He is in transportation and is seeking a delivery/driver position, but will do just about anything. As far as his last employer, they needed to cutback on employees, and my husband was one of those cuts. It is important to note here that right before the cut, my husband asked for a raise because they expanded his workload. Knowing that this was completely wrong, my husband voiced his opinion. I was put in a similar situation (budget cutbacks equals employee cutbacks), which was why I went down to part-time. But, I have a double Master's degree and work in the education field, so it hasn't been as difficult for me to gain employment. It still took me a while to find something though and it has been straining for the both of us. Again, thank you all for your advice and support. I am extremely grateful that I can come to this forum and find posters who are as nice and supportive as you guys have been.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:41 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
So your husband has a CDL?

Old 12-13-2010, 11:44 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
If that's the complete story, it sounds like your husband's last employer is retaliating for him speaking up for himself. One of my employers retaliated against a coworker because he reported something unethical they had done to him to the government.

Does your husband have a CDL? Has he tried VIA? You don't need a CDL to start training with VIA, though. I think they're paying over $14 an hour now and they're always desperate for more drivers. Coach America requires at least a class B CDL and they're usually hiring along with Star Shuttle who also hires van drivers. South Texas Blood and Tissue Center is always looking for van and bus drivers, but you have to go through paid training to become a phlebotomist. UPS needs drivers for the holidays.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:46 AM

418 posts, read 784,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovevintage View Post
I thank everyone that has replied to my thread. My husband and I read over your posts together and we both really appreciate your input. He is in transportation and is seeking a delivery/driver position, but will do just about anything. As far as his last employer, they needed to cutback on employees, and my husband was one of those cuts. It is important to note here that right before the cut, my husband asked for a raise because they expanded his workload. Knowing that this was completely wrong, my husband voiced his opinion. I was put in a similar situation (budget cutbacks equals employee cutbacks), which was why I went down to part-time. But, I have a double Master's degree and work in the education field, so it hasn't been as difficult for me to gain employment. It still took me a while to find something though and it has been straining for the both of us. Again, thank you all for your advice and support. I am extremely grateful that I can come to this forum and find posters who are as nice and supportive as you guys have been.
Does he have a clean class "A" license with some experience?

If so then getting a driving position should not be difficult as the transport
companies are always looking for more drivers given the very high turnover
in the commercial driving area.

Unfortunately with driving positions it goes with the territory to have the duties expanded while the pay stays the same or is even reduced.

I have vivid memories of spending a whole day in Toronto, Ontario getting
a load of ceramic tiles balanced on a 53' trailer bound for Long Island, New
York so it would be legal... and not being paid for that. Welcome to the
transportation industry... where long hours and volunteer labor is the norm.

In any case, there is a warehouse out in Schertz... Valero I believe... that
is looking for drivers and warehouse workers.

Employers always want to check with the last employer... so the issue to
get resolved here before moving on is to determine if the last employer is
giving a bad reference and to somehow get that sorted out.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:25 PM

409 posts, read 1,034,285 times
I am in the same situation. I have been laid off 4 times in the past 3 years and I believe that it's WHO YOU KNOW..that can get you a job. I also believe age has something to do with it cause employers want young ppl fresh out of school who will work for peanuts and that is unfair to us 50ish or older experienced ppl. I am in the medical field and have not had any luck since April. I think I have more of a chance to win the lottery than landing a job.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:33 PM

119 posts, read 430,704 times
Yes, he has a CDL "Class A" with some driving experience. Ha has some over the road experience, but due to my not being able to go out with him this time, wants to find something local. Thanks for the info. on various companies hiring for drivers. He will definitely look into them.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:19 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,047,374 times
I guess the bottom line here is that you don't want to burn your bridges. And, it's true... it is more difficult to obtain employment the older you get. Age discrimination is definitely out there. So is plenty of other discrimination.

I would not want to be out there hunting for a job right now.... it's very ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio