Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 12:16 PM

17 posts, read 70,693 times

Advertisements

We've lived in SA for years. Taxes have always been high, even higher than Austin. I like what you're doing, new parks, new roads, cool events coming to SA (Rock and Roll Marathon)....

Now taxes haven't changed *that* much in the past few years, so it make me sick to question, what the *hell* were the previous administrations doing with our money???? Ughhh, all the cool stuff we could've had!

Great job, keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to a more pedestrian/bike friendly city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 01:22 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,884,909 times
Can't cry over spilt milk. I agree the past administrations were lax and not very forward thinking. I think some were sitting around waiting for someone with good ideas to show up and get things going. PH and SS were the ones who showed up. I especially like the efforts to energize downtown. It's been years talking and planning the river expansion, now the riverwalk is coming to fruition. Bout time it got going and less talking about it. That seems to be the key...more action, less talk.
I'm thinking Gordon Hartman is grooming himself to be the next action figure in SA politics. As long as the momentum keeps up, it's fine.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
If you like the results of having a grownup for a mayor and a person of action in the City Manager job, you should support the charter reform issue on the ballot in November. By swapping out city council reps and mayors every 4 years, we eliminate the possibility of someone growing to be truly effective in those jobs.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:04 PM

418 posts, read 1,239,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
If you like the results of having a grownup for a mayor and a person of action in the City Manager job, you should support the charter reform issue on the ballot in November. By swapping out city council reps and mayors every 4 years, we eliminate the possibility of someone growing to be truly effective in those jobs.
I'm not so sure. Maybe the shorter term limits is what has helped us.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:08 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,024,798 times
Our local officials have done a great job over the past few years and hopefully will continue to do so as we move forward.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traficdogn View Post
I'm not so sure. Maybe the shorter term limits is what has helped us.
San Antonio is one of the oldest cities in Texas, yet is minuscule compared to the Houston and Dallas metros (which are much younger). Even Austin is starting to leave us in the dust. How could anyone expect our elected officials to get anything done in the short time span they have? The proposed charter reform will simply allow us to elect officials for longer periods of time (up to 8 years). We'd still vote every 2 years. The only difference is that our officials would be able to run for 4 two-year terms as opposed to the current 2 two-year terms. If charter reform happened a decade ago I don't think we'd be saying goodbye to AT&T. Major city projects would get done a lot faster.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:19 PM

418 posts, read 1,239,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
San Antonio is one of the oldest cities in Texas, yet is minuscule compared to the Houston and Dallas metros (which are much younger). Even Austin is starting to leave us in the dust. How could anyone expect our elected officials to get anything done in the short time span they have? The proposed charter reform will simply allow us to elect officials for longer periods of time (up to 8 years). We'd still vote every 2 years. The only difference is that our officials would be able to run for 4 two-year terms as opposed to the current 2 two-year terms..
At the salary council members are paid, I don't think any rational / non-corrupt person would stay on the council for 8 years.

4 (2+2) years is long enough to get things done. Imagine having a set of lame duck council-members for 4 entire years holding the city and mayor hostage? It would be Boss Hogg's dream come true.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traficdogn View Post
At the salary council members are paid, I don't think any rational / non-corrupt person would stay on the council for 8 years.

4 (2+2) years is long enough to get things done. Imagine having a set of lame duck council-members for 4 entire years holding the city and mayor hostage? It would be Boss Hogg's dream come true.
I also think it is time we move into reality and start paying city council for the job they do. My hometown of Andrews, TX (pop. 9,000) pays city council more than the $20/meeting that San Antonio does. It takes about 2 years for council members to get things down and really get into business. Two years later they are out. It creates a problem for business looking to relocate or open operations in the city. It creates problems for developers looking to grow the city. Current term limits are prehistoric and really hold this city back.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:17 PM

483 posts, read 1,563,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
San Antonio is one of the oldest cities in Texas, yet is minuscule compared to the Houston and Dallas metros (which are much younger). Even Austin is starting to leave us in the dust. How could anyone expect our elected officials to get anything done in the short time span they have? The proposed charter reform will simply allow us to elect officials for longer periods of time (up to 8 years). We'd still vote every 2 years. The only difference is that our officials would be able to run for 4 two-year terms as opposed to the current 2 two-year terms. If charter reform happened a decade ago I don't think we'd be saying goodbye to AT&T. Major city projects would get done a lot faster.
You said it.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:50 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,177,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tousel View Post
Now taxes haven't changed *that* much in the past few years, so it make me sick to question, what the *hell* were the previous administrations doing with our money???? Ughhh, all the cool stuff we could've had!
You do realize that while tax rates haven't increased, valuations have, and quite substantially in many areas. Therefore, the city is bringing-in more revenue now with the same tax rate than they did a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio