Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 05:46 PM

47 posts, read 124,527 times

Advertisements

I've been with U-verse for 3 years. Currently, I run U-verse upstairs in my man room and another room. I've tried Dish and Direct TV over the last to years in the other parts of my home. I enjoy the total U-Verse experience the most. Other great thing about U-Verse is all the cable boxes come HD ready and smaller than the others. You don't have to run cables anywhere in the house if there is already a cable jack, U-verse can use your standard cable connection or Cat-5 internet connection. If you happen to not have either connection near your tv, there is a thing called a powerline adapter. Powerline allows you to extend your internet connection via power outlets. The speed/bandwidth isn't the best, but pretty darn good. The U-Verse gateway doubles as a wireless router - great range, my house is two stories and I get great coverage throughout. Whole-home DVR works as advertised - I can record and watch recordings from any U-Verse connection in the house. Haven't had cable for a long time and there is absolutely no reason I can think of that I would go back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 07:13 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,790,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
If you live in a house that currently has or previously had traditional telephone service and/or DSL from AT&T/SBC/Southwestern Bell, it shouldn't be necessary to run a new cable into your house, unless the existing cable is damaged...
That's why they ran a new line. Not necessarily damage, but after over 15 years of being in the ground and it wasn't up to their standards. It was fine by me - the St Augustine recovered quickly.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:33 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
So there is hope? I never thought existing apartment complexes could get AT&T U-verse because of the deal TWC made for installing the cable infrastructure.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:52 AM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
844 posts, read 1,626,105 times
I've had AT & T Uverse for almost 1 year and have only had to call them out one time to fix an issue with the digital phone (static on the line) and resolved after that one time visit. Prior to AT & T Uverse, I had TW for years-and had lots of problems with the TV pixelating quite frequently and internet problems. I made the switch to Uverse and love it! The DVR is more compact. The HD quality is wonderful, not to mention the service. The equipment is more modern. The menu's are very user friendly. I have had maybe two rare instances where the channel did pixelate, but this cleared up right away. I did not have to call AT & T; nor reboot. One of my pet peeves with TW - having to call whenever there was a problem with TV or internet; especially after hours and get someone from a foreign county that I could not understand! Very little digging required in my area. As far as pricing, in the beginning I did receive wonderful discounts and the pricing has gone up since; however, if I must compare quality and service to what I previously had-AT & T Uverse wins! No doubts.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:09 PM

218 posts, read 501,503 times
Where are you guys located that Uverse works great. Of the 3 that I know that have problems 2 live near the 1604/Portranco area and the other lives in the 1604/Culebra area. They all have freezing and signal lose problems frequently. One is in a new house and one a new apartment.

We were watching a on demand movie the other day while I was there and the movie froze. We had to stop it and restart it.

I don't have it so I can't comment on day to day issues just what I have heard. Personally I wanted to switch to Dish, but they wanted to run all new cables outside the house even though my house was prewired and I said no.

Is Uverse contract based? I might still check it out if I can ever get it.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:14 PM

291 posts, read 607,892 times
I live in the 1604 Hausman Area. My friend lives in the 1604 Culebra area and has had no issues since September.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:10 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,232,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandR View Post
AFIK, U-verse services are still available without a contract. You would be paying the regular monthly rate from the start. I think they still offer rebates for new "no-commitment" service. The U-verse promotions that advertise a discounted rate for the first six months are the ones that I think have a contract.

It's the satellite services that are tough for new customers to get without a contract, unless you possibly pay full price for the equipment, installation, monthly subscription, etc.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:03 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,771 times
Many of the cable problems, pixelation, freezing, restarting, could all be based on the wiring within your home and the same problems will repeat themselves with any cable company until the wiring is redone or fixed with an amplifier to boost communication.

Most on demand programming requires a signal not only be received but to also have your own box constantly sending its own signal back out.

How many sets are connected? How far away are they from where the line meets the outside box then into your viewing rooms? How old is the wiring? Is it where small animals could chew the wire? Does it run through an area with heavy moisture?

Old 12-17-2010, 08:11 AM

144 posts, read 686,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandR View Post
Where are you guys located that Uverse works great. Of the 3 that I know that have problems 2 live near the 1604/Portranco area and the other lives in the 1604/Culebra area. They all have freezing and signal lose problems frequently. One is in a new house and one a new apartment.

We were watching a on demand movie the other day while I was there and the movie froze. We had to stop it and restart it.

I don't have it so I can't comment on day to day issues just what I have heard. Personally I wanted to switch to Dish, but they wanted to run all new cables outside the house even though my house was prewired and I said no.

Call ATT and tell them your issues i hadthis problem and they came out and upgraged all the outlets because our builder didnt connect the wall outlets the correct way. I had this prob at first and after they did that i never had the probelm again!

Old 12-17-2010, 08:14 AM

144 posts, read 686,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
AFIK, U-verse services are still available without a contract. You would be paying the regular monthly rate from the start. I think they still offer rebates for new "no-commitment" service. The U-verse promotions that advertise a discounted rate for the first six months are the ones that I think have a contract.

It's the satellite services that are tough for new customers to get without a contract, unless you possibly pay full price for the equipment, installation, monthly subscription, etc.
They do offer discounted bundled packages and on top of that they will give you cash back in the form of a visa gift card anywhere from $100-300. TWC never did that. and you can still cancel after 30 days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio