Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 07:42 PM

Location: I live in the Seattle neighborhood of Belltown. I live in a nice building called Mosler Lofts.
174 posts, read 589,976 times

Advertisements

I am curious about San Antonio. Is the Riverwalk as cool as it looks? How does San Antonio compare with Houston, Dallas, and Austin? Give me any thoughts or opinions that you have.

Last edited by SeattleBoy98121; 12-16-2010 at 08:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 07:46 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Yes the Riverwalk is very cool.

If you do visit, go at night. It looks a zillion times better at night.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:45 AM

14 posts, read 38,604 times
San Antonio is a great place to visit and live. So much to do and see for tourists. Dallas and Houston are huge cities, but not tourist destinations. Austin is very hip, fun to visit but not as much to see.

Are you looking to visit or relocate? SA and Austin are two of the hottest job markets in the country. They are at the top of every list.

Let me know your perspective and I'll send you more info. PS: I visited Seattle last summer for the 1st time, LOVED IT!

Old 12-17-2010, 09:22 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,328,448 times
Austin is more like Seattle than San Antonio. But both areas are quite liveable.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:48 PM

70 posts, read 168,157 times
The River Walk is very nice. It's touristy. That's not necessarily a bad thing; it's beautiful and (mostly) historical, so of course it tourists would want to see it. Most of the restaurants there are lacking, but it's getting better (and there are some great restaurants in other parts of the city). It's more scenic than Dallas or Houston too, and closer to the Hill Country, which is the prettiest area of the state (with a nod to Big Bend).

That said, as a place to live I can't really recommend San Antonio. It has its charms, for sure, but it's very podunk. Sleepy compared to Dallas and Houston and not as "cool" as Austin, which is important, I suppose, if you are in your college years. If you're young (post-college) and ambitious, I would say pick Houston or Dallas. I wish I hadn't spent so many years here.

But definitely come for a visit!

Old 12-23-2010, 11:29 PM

258 posts, read 637,655 times
San Antonio is great for families, but if your young and single, I would move to Austin or Houston.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:04 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,815 times
No coolness in Austin, Houston is the real hip area of Texas

Old 12-24-2010, 09:19 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBoy98121 View Post
I am curious about San Antonio. Is the Riverwalk as cool as it looks? How does San Antonio compare with Houston, Dallas, and Austin? Give me any thoughts or opinions that you have.
The Riverwalk is great! When there are times that I get upset with the city, at least the Riverwalk is one of those things that can keep me happy.

Compared to Houston and Dallas, it is going to be lacking in some aspects because those are much larger cities and it won't have the big city mentality like those two. San Antonio feels very big, but it has a homey feeling at the same time, if that makes sense.

Austin is a wonderful city and would be more comparable to San Antonio. Austin attracts more of the young, hip professionals while San Antonio is known for attracting families or couples. Austin is also known for it's outdoorsy life-style while San Antonio is not, but that does not mean that San Antonio doesn't have an outdoor activities or nice parks in any distance near it. San Antonio is known very much for it's tourism.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:35 AM

810 posts, read 1,424,904 times
Coming from Seattle, Austin would be closest to it. The mentality and urban hippie feel of Austin is closest to Seattle than SA, Dallas, and Houston. San Antonio is a big city with a small town feel. A lot of locals like old ways of thinking and are slow or resistant to change. The Riverwalk is nice and it is one of SA’s main attraction areas. Tourism is one of the largest industries in town. I would say travel/tourism, healthcare, general construction, and military is what SA is known for in terms of industry strengths.

Last edited by Quattro72; 12-24-2010 at 11:03 AM..

Old 12-24-2010, 03:43 PM

63 posts, read 184,325 times
I may be moving to San Antonio in a year or two ... I am married and have a 7 month old. While I come from big city life (was born and raised in Boston, MA - and miss it very much by the way - lol) I am looking to slow waaaaaaayyyyy down, find a nice community of folks and raise my child. I have a biracial child and wanted to know if San Antonio folks are ok with inter-racial couples (and please do not quote the "oh prejudice is everywhere" line, because while that is a true statement, some areas are better than others - lol).

I am also looking to either find a well rounded, academically fulfilling/challenging public school to put my daughter in when she's older or a reasonably priced private or parochial school (by reasonably priced I mean no more than $5-$7000 per year).

What's the crime like? Do a lot of people leave windows and doors unlocked? I don't (lol) because I come from an urban environment and all the crime that goes with that, but this question will give me an idea of how residents view their city...

I visited San Antonio on vacation once back in 2003 and thought it was interesting. I have lived in FL for a year, New Mexico (yes, I know...dry heat) for 2 years and lived in the DFW area for 6 years so I have a decent understanding of hot weather.

Anyone have any advice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio