Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 03:54 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,268,801 times

Advertisements

no, you can't pick and choose which annoying procession to approve of.. it has to be all in or all out, por favor

and thanks for getting me in the mood for a cupcake now

Old 03-21-2011, 04:04 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,886,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
being the sensitive person I am, I didn't want to offend anyone by posting this somewhere else...

does anyone else get annoyed by funeral processions? My wife and I have debated this and, as usual, we're pretty polarized by it. I say a person is dead and really isn't going to care about it and she said it's for the family and others. No matter what, though, it totally screws up traffic and happens pretty often around here. Prior to living here, I rarely ever saw them and probably only got hung up in one or two of them. I think I've been stuck in at least 5 of them since I've lived here, though. Granted that is only once every two years, but it's still annoying and they're freaking long as hell here too. I don't have an issue with maybe 10-20 cars, but some of these last for at least 20 minutes and it's just an endless line of cars.
So.. is it yet another case of people feeling they're so special right up to the very end or should I just suck it up and get over it? Option two will never happen for me, but feel free to vote for it anyhow...

We'll have a survey on how you should respond to annoying drivers after this is over.
Seriously RD? I know you like to be a bit "off-the-wall"; but this was a police officer killed in the line of duty. We should respect her service and show respect for her passing.

I can understand some of your rants about other things, but this one is was way off the mark...

Old 03-21-2011, 04:09 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,251,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
A roofie??
Pffft ... I wish! HA! No it was a gigantic FLY! And it was totally disgusting!

Old 03-21-2011, 04:11 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,897,584 times
Maybe it's a Texas thing but I don't mind waiting. I can only hope there would be a long line for me.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:11 PM

It was about funeral processions in general, not one specific one. What exactly do they accomplish? I personally wouldn't want to be a burden to others at any time, especially when I'm dead. So what is the dead person gaining out of this? and what does anyone gain from one? What's wrong with people just driving to the cemetary and having a funeral without screwing up the lives of others? This may sound heartless, but I just don't see the purpose of it at all.

BTW, a much better way to show respect would be to name a new law authorizing 100% sobriety checks at all bars prior to leaving after her. Now that accomplishes something everyone can benefit from.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:49 PM

So now you have to be sober to leave a bar? Kinda counters the reason for having bars, doesn't it?!? Not all bar patrons get behind the wheel of a car drunk, and not all drunk drivers come from bars.

And exactly how often are you "inconvenienced" by funeral processions? I do a lot of driving in and around San Antonio, and don't recall it being a regular occurrence. Heck, to be honest, I can't remember the last time I was delayed by one.

And even if it were one, how much of a rush are you in that you can't wait a minute or so to let the grieving family of the deceased pass by without being caught up in the traffic around here?

It's a common courtesy, something that you continually rant is in short supply in this city; and I honestly don't think they "screw up" your life as much as you claim.

It's also a poor choice of a topic to debate, especially considering the side you're taking. Write it off as a brain fart and find something more substantial to complain about!

Old 03-21-2011, 05:12 PM

5,643 posts, read 15,647,031 times
Oh I saw this procession on 281. I wondered what was up with all the cops.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:14 PM

could've swore this was the OT section, which is exactly where it belongs. It was much more considerate of me to place it here rather than the other two places it could've gone. As far as the checkpoints, I have absolutely nothing to fear because I don't even visit bars and obviously the checkpoint would take into account whether the person was a driver or a rider. I also said I've only been inconvenienced by funeral processions about 5 times since I've lived here, which accounts for one incident every two years, but it's still annoying because they were HUGE processions. Hundreds of cars and 10-20 minute waits.
My only question was what is gained from this inconvenience? The star of the show is dead, so they don't care and the rest of the people can just drive their own happy a$$es to the cemetary without involving everyone else that probably isn't aware or doesn't care. I'm not saying this latest death wasn't a tragedy in its own right, but that is not at all what I'm debating. So besides the family and friends of the deceased allegedly gaining something from the procession, what purpose do they serve? Are we dictating that now everyone has to care about them? I know some people will care a little if I'm dead, but 99.99999% of the city won't and that's why I don't want to inconvenience them. It's just one of those silly things that doesn't make any sense and doesn't serve a useful purpose.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:27 PM

I think that H-D is rattling your brain a little loose! You're bitching about something that occurs once every two years, and lasts all of ten minutes?!? And I even think that is a stretch, most only last a few minutes at the most...

It's a simple sign of respect, and something the grieving families appreciate. Having served on a military honor guard in the past, I know it is a small gesture by most of the general public that doesn't go unnoticed.

It's funny how you have a big issue with being inconvenienced by a funeral, but the prospect of DWI checkpoints is of no concern. What about all the innocent people those are going to inconvenience, much less the illegal aspects of it (no probable cause to even warrant the stop)?

Lastly, no one said it didn't belong here; what I said is that it is a poor choice of topic, period! I honestly doubt anyone's life is so important that they can't put their plans on hold for a few minutes to honor someone who has passed away...

Old 03-21-2011, 05:37 PM

well, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I obviously will never agree..

That was just one example of the many things that occur for no real reason and have no real benefit. It's like all the stupid fake holidays the greeting card manufacturers come up with. Would it kill people to just have the funeral on their own terms and leave the rest of the people out of the equation? Now that's what I call being considerate. Forcing everyone to "respect" something they probably don't even care about is just rude.

and how are innocents inconvenienced with a mandatory sobriety checkpoint? Hint: they're not... It's easy to avoid too, just don't go to a bar. I've lived here for almost 10 years and the closest I've been to a bar was Saturday's visit to Ojos Locos. Not sure if you'd call it a bar, but it did have the 51% sign up, so it probably is. If there would've been a checkpoint in the parking lot, I would've shook their hands for doing a great service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio