U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 10:38 PM

3 posts, read 37,756 times

Advertisements

My husband bought a small fixed blade Anza knife for me at a gun show today. I'm curious as to the knife laws in San Antonio and the surrounding areas. The blade of the knife is 2". It is to take the place of my worn out folding pocket knife with the same blade length. I'm trying to be sure of how to carry this piece legally. I am not familiar with concealed weapon laws so I'm just looking for a point in the right direction. I have already found Texas knife laws here: http://knife-expert.com/tx.txt and I think I should be fine carrying this knife without any problems.

Also...are there any laws specific to San Antonio city limits? I drive through the city limits on the way to the barn where we board our horses and that would be an obvious place to need a pocket knife. I also will be driving through the city limits enroute to places to camp/hike. These are the main times I am sure to carry this knife, although I tend to leave it in my truck when not in use so I need to know what to do there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 11:19 PM

8,364 posts, read 13,298,061 times
Locking blades of any type are illegal within the city limit per the following San Antonio Ordinance, although it is a little-enforced law...

Quote:
Sec. 21-17. - Certain knives prohibited generally; exceptions; penalty for violation.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to intentionally or knowingly carry on or about his person a knife with a blade less than five and one-half (5) inches in length, which knife is equipped with a lock mechanism so that upon opening, it becomes a fixed blade knife.

(b) The above prohibition set forth in subsection (a) shall not be applicable to a person carrying such a knife:

(1) In the actual discharge of his duties as a peace officer, a member of the armed forces or national guard, or a guard employed by a penal institution;

(2) On his own premises or premises under his control;

(3) Traveling;

(4) Engaged in lawful hunting, fishing or other lawful sporting activity; or

(5) Using such a knife in connection with a lawful occupation, during such utilization.

(Code 1959, 26-28.1)

Cross reference— Regulation of firearms and weapons, 21-151 et seq.; possession of a knife, 21-155.
Also...

Quote:
Sec. 21-157. - Carrying of weapons, including concealed handguns, on city-owned premises prohibited; posting of notice.

(a) It is the intent of the city council to prohibit any person other than a commissioned security officer employed by the city and licensed peace officers from carrying or possessing weapons including concealed handguns on city-owned premises, including city-owned buildings, parking garages, lots, and other parking areas but excluding city-owned or operated public parks, streets and sidewalks.

(b) It is the intent of the city council that the term weapon shall include a firearm, handgun, club, illegal knife, knife, and any prohibited weapon listed in Texas Penal Code Section 46.05(a) and have the same meaning as said items are defined in Section 46.01, Texas Penal Code.

(c) The city council directs the city manager, or his designee to post the appropriate signs and such other notice, in accordance with Section 30.05 of the Texas Penal Code (the Criminal Trespass Law), to carry out the city council's above-stated intent.

(d) The city manager is authorized to take all steps reasonable and necessary to deny entry or continued presence on city-owned premises to all such persons possessing weapons including concealed handguns, including prosecution of such violators for the offense of criminal trespass.

(Res. No. 95-52-66, 12-21-95)

Editor's note— Provisions enacted by Res. No. 95-52-66, adopted Dec. 21, 1995, have been included herein at the discretion of the editor as 21-157.
But in my experience and in discussing this matter with local law enforcement, it is usually only charged when other offenses have occurred (e.g. after a robbery has been committed with said weapon).

Plus, given the vagueness of the term "traveling" in Texas law, you should be OK carrying a locking knife (or your new fixed blade) in a vehicle.

Hope that helps!

Cheers! M2

Old 01-04-2011, 07:48 PM

3 posts, read 37,756 times
Thanks.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:07 PM

10,440 posts, read 10,181,431 times
Anything smaller than a machete is legal

Old 11-02-2013, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 7,236 times
I have a 5.88" fixed blade knife.is it leagal in san antonio tx to carry?

Old 11-02-2013, 10:53 PM

4,008 posts, read 4,522,171 times
The city's denial of citizenry to carry under the CHL laws on city-owned property is in direct conflict with state law. Should they choose to attempt to enforce it, there's going to be some pretty interesting lawsuits....which the taxpayers will have to pay.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:12 PM

529 posts, read 265,511 times
You might find this interesting and it's a locking blade.

Texans can now legally carry switchblades | KXAN.com

Old 11-05-2013, 07:53 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,313,954 times
i carry a kitchen knife when i go walking the dog, i have a rambo type knife in the door of my car. i hope these dont get me in trouble. i thought you can just carry knives without any issues. the knife in the car door should not be an issue, please correct me if im wrong.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:14 AM

14 posts, read 11,302 times
As of October 01, 2013 there have been many changes to the CHL .pdf on the Texas Department of Safety web site. So if there are any posts here that older than this date, there could be some thing wrong with those statements.

I am not a director for any thing, so if you want to know, search for it as that is what the internet is about.

TIA, CU L8R,
LexCi

Old 11-05-2013, 05:24 PM

4,008 posts, read 4,522,171 times
That "Rambo knife" could get you a stink eye from a cop, who's going to wonder why you have it.

Given the mindset of the SA City Council, they don't want ANYONE to have a gun - so you have to watch yourself. They instructed their staff to post ALL city property as being off limits to CHL holders, despite the FACT that it's against state law to do so. IF you run into a problem with those posted signs, keep your cool, get an attorney - and SUE the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio