Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 4,010 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to SA. We currently live in DFW but I have had a very difficult time adapting here because I came from a much more culturally integrated city. What I found in DFW is that there are very few minorities that are part of wealthy social circles, unlike the state I previously lived in. My husband and I are part of such circles and although one might think money trumps race, it is not always true. We are both minorities but of different races and there is a lot of hate here towards people of other cultures.

I am tired of literally feeling the racial tension everywhere around here. It's just awful. One can just feel the tension in the air, everywhere you go. I don't know how San Antonio is, but I would like input on that. I know SA is mostly Hispanic and White...is there a lot of racial tension in SA? Are different cultures more accepting of one another?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 09:59 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,820,492 times
Yeah, this thread is going to be a fun one. I can already feel it.

Race relations in ANY city, anywhere in the USA, are strained when it comes to money, power and color. No matter how integrated, tuned-in and progressive a city seems, all you've got to do is scratch the surface and you'll see it for what it really is. That's human nature. If you want a better experience, it's got to start with you. If you can't learn to ignore the social bullcrap in monied circles, you're never going to find that ideal you're searching for. I too have lived in places like Chicago, Manhattan, London and it's everywhere. Money trumps nothing: Even the richest folks in most major cities are as common as ever when it comes to having any sense of class. You can dress them up beautifully... But you can't take them out.

Instead of pointing race fingers, I'm hoping to start this thread off with some basic common sense. Hope we can keep it that way

BN

Old 01-03-2011, 10:15 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
I think in San Antonio's inner circles it's "new money" versus "old money."

There's a huge disparity, at least from my viewpoint in the groups of people who are of the "old money San Antonio" and the "new money San Antonio." Old money being those that can trace themselves back to the founders of San Antonio, the chamber of commerce, governors, etc, etc. and new money being business owners and all that stuff. I'm sure that was an issue in the DFW area too, though. But I think it's more so in SA because we are a smaller city.

Sure are there racial lines drawn? Absolutely. I see the biggest trouble, though, being the difference in new versus old though. Alamo Heights versus the Dominion (or now even Boerne or somewhere even farther out).

Old 01-03-2011, 10:32 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,426,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuAj10 View Post
My husband and I are considering moving to SA. We currently live in DFW but I have had a very difficult time adapting here because I came from a much more culturally integrated city. What I found in DFW is that there are very few minorities that are part of wealthy social circles, unlike the state I previously lived in. My husband and I are part of such circles and although one might think money trumps race, it is not always true. We are both minorities but of different races and there is a lot of hate here towards people of other cultures.

I am tired of literally feeling the racial tension everywhere around here. It's just awful. One can just feel the tension in the air, everywhere you go. I don't know how San Antonio is, but I would like input on that. I know SA is mostly Hispanic and White...is there a lot of racial tension in SA? Are different cultures more accepting of one another?

Thanks!
My client list includes many of the wealthiest folks in town. Not all, but a lot of them. What I can tell you is that most of them are the most down to earth, good, honest folks you'll ever meet and I can't think of a single one that cares anything about race.

I'm sure they're out there, but I haven't seen it, and I run with these folks on a daily basis.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:52 AM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuAj10 View Post

Thanks!
I think you'll love San Antonio.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:20 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Yeah, this thread is going to be a fun one. I can already feel it.

Race relations in ANY city, anywhere in the USA, are strained when it comes to money, power and color. No matter how integrated, tuned-in and progressive a city seems, all you've got to do is scratch the surface and you'll see it for what it really is. That's human nature. If you want a better experience, it's got to start with you. If you can't learn to ignore the social bullcrap in monied circles, you're never going to find that ideal you're searching for. I too have lived in places like Chicago, Manhattan, London and it's everywhere. Money trumps nothing: Even the richest folks in most major cities are as common as ever when it comes to having any sense of class. You can dress them up beautifully... But you can't take them out.

Instead of pointing race fingers, I'm hoping to start this thread off with some basic common sense. Hope we can keep it that way

BN

Shoooo-wee, you said it BN.

You absolutely get out what you put in.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:38 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,231 times
The old vs. new is well taken. There is a strata of old money Anglo folks who are not the most inviting. There is a strata of successful new people in business and the professions who will be fun to hang with.

The neighborhood split mentioned before is for the most part correct. Although, in the Alamo Heights area you do find some young more liberal professionals who want to live inside the loop. They can be in some conflict with the older types.

You didn't mention kids - not my business - but socially more inviting venues for kids are in the more affluent North side areas. Alamo Heights kids' social circles are old school for the most part.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:48 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Remember, until recently Mike Yuchnitz was one of SA's "Rich & Famous"...now he's just famous!

I still contend that racially San Antonio is one of the least tense areas in the country. I think that is because of the generally laid-back atmosphere this city has; but I can't recall there ever being any big race issues here.

That said, I am just a middle class working man, so maybe my perspective is limited...but hopefully you'll find SA to be a lot more relaxed than DFW.

Cheers! M2

Old 01-03-2011, 12:43 PM

3 posts, read 8,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post

I still contend that racially San Antonio is one of the least tense areas in the country. I think that is because of the generally laid-back atmosphere this city has; but I can't recall there ever being any big race issues here.

Cheers! M2

Thats because San Antonio is 80% of the same race/ethnicity!

When 8 out of 10 people have the same upbringing and culture there will be little to no social dysfunction.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:09 PM

418 posts, read 784,434 times
Race makes no difference to me... but I'm from Canada and don't count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio