U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 08:55 PM

4,025 posts, read 4,553,946 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Texas - we arm the law-abiding, an' bury the criminals...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 09:09 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,549,036 times
Moderator cut: off topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
God Bless America and all the lawfully owned firearms there within.
Moderator cut: off topic I don't think God has anything to do with guns. This is another reason why Texans have such a bad stereotype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFMike View Post
I wouldn't' recommended a taser, only one chance and these idiots usually travel in pairs. Also not effective if they have this clothes on.

If you want "less lethal" then put the 1st one or 2 shells in your shotgun as bird shot, rock salt, bean bags or something like that. If they don't get the message then make the next one count!
Excellent advice.

Last edited by Bo; 01-07-2011 at 10:29 PM..

Old 01-07-2011, 09:56 PM

8,367 posts, read 13,364,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Arm yourself with what my father used---a sawed-off shot gun. Highly illegal in most states, but effective. We actually had police recommend them for those without much skill shooting---they spray a wide radius.

Better judged by 12 than carried by 6!

Actually, he never "used" it, that's what he kept for defense, and we lived in Detroit, need I say more!
While that may sound cool, possessing an illegal shotgun is actually a Federal offense!

You can actually own a "short-barreled shotgun" (barrel length less than 18 inches and an overall length less than 26 inches) by completing a Form 1 and sending it and $200 to the ATF. If you're lucky, in a few months you'll get a tax stamp that will allow you to legally own one!

But it's not worth the trouble, as for almost the same price as the tax stamp you can legally own a Mossberg 500, a pistol-gripped shottie with a 18.5" barrel...

By the way, you want a pump shotgun like the one above, not an semi-automatic one. The latter are less reliable, plus they don't make that sweet "make-the-bad-guy-soil-his-underwear" racking noise like the pumps do!

And if anyone does decide to get a gun, please learn how to maintain and operate it, and even shoot it a few times at a range. Otherwise, you don't want something like this to happen when you most need it!

Cheers! M2

Old 01-07-2011, 10:05 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,345,969 times
Center mass will work well with almost any size weapon.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:16 PM

3,320 posts, read 3,284,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
While that may sound cool, possessing an illegal shotgun is actually a Federal offense!

You can actually own a "short-barreled shotgun" (barrel length less than 18 inches and an overall length less than 26 inches) by completing a Form 1 and sending it and $200 to the ATF. If you're lucky, in a few months you'll get a tax stamp that will allow you to legally own one!

But it's not worth the trouble, as for almost the same price as the tax stamp you can legally own a Mossberg 500, a pistol-gripped shottie with a 18.5" barrel...

By the way, you want a pump shotgun like the one above, not an semi-automatic one. The latter are less reliable, plus they don't make that sweet "make-the-bad-guy-soil-his-underwear" racking noise like the pumps do!

And if anyone does decide to get a gun, please learn how to maintain and operate it, and even shoot it a few times at a range. Otherwise, you don't want something like this to happen when you most need it!

Cheers! M2

That's Hugh Laurie?! He looks so young! What movie is that from, M2?

Old 01-07-2011, 11:26 PM

Personally, I'd hate to be put on the stand after using Deadly Force on someone with a weapon that was loaded with something intended to cause pain only - because that would be as much as admitting that I wasn't really in fear for my life, because I chose to use something intended to inflict pain/injury. Sorry - you attempt forced entry into my home, you won't make the same mistake again.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:40 AM

3,005 posts, read 5,735,847 times
The thugs never take a vacation. Do we have a loitering law here in Texas to keep all the young thugs just hanging around and not doing anything productive but trying to rob people.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:47 AM

8,367 posts, read 13,364,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
That's Hugh Laurie?! He looks so young! What movie is that from, M2?
It was way back when he and Stephen Fry had a TV comedy sketch show, A Bit of Fry and Laurie which ran from 1989-95.

Laurie plays a character named Alan, who is hired as a secret agent by a mysterious organization known only as 'The Department', before which he was a gun-runner, supply teacher and Home Secretary (head of internal affairs in the UK). The character is a parody of several British television shows of the 1970s, most prominently The Professionals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Personally, I'd hate to be put on the stand after using Deadly Force on someone with a weapon that was loaded with something intended to cause pain only - because that would be as much as admitting that I wasn't really in fear for my life, because I chose to use something intended to inflict pain/injury. Sorry - you attempt forced entry into my home, you won't make the same mistake again.
An interesting and valid point. As a matter of fact, hollow points are not allowed in the military due to an international agreement agreed upon at the Hague Conference in 1899. Declaration III prohibits the use of bullets which expand or flatten easily in the human body, as they were seen to be more likely to cause wounding and suffering!

Of course, law enforcement agencies prefer them because they reduce the chance of the bullet overpenetrating the target and striking an innocent person behind them. They are also the preferred choice for self-defense for the same reason.

While some in the firearm community have expressed concern that the type of weapon or ammunition used may end up being an issue in a court of law afterward, but I have never seen that being the case and much like you TRN, it will be the least of my worries if someone is breaking into my house! I will use every means at my disposal to protect my family, myself and my property!

If that means the demise of some dumbass criminal who chose to rob the wrong house, well it was their bad decision in the first place...

Cheers! M2

Old 01-08-2011, 12:34 PM

11 posts, read 15,585 times
I did a search for "Grandmas Got A Gun" to see if there might be a song. I don't think I can post a link but the video of Grandma making the thug call the police on himself is just priceless. I wonder how many people checked their firearms for proper operation after this story.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:02 PM

Personally, mine is checked almost daily...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio