U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 12:42 PM

22 posts, read 30,916 times

Advertisements

I've applied to a couple of jobs in the SA area, including one office that's part of a company I previously worked for. The jobs in the NJ area have dried up in my feild, but I've heard nothing but positive things regarding the work in this area. The problem? I know little about SA, and what I'm reading here is scaring me just a little.

Is it true that it's difficult to make friends in San Antonio? I'm a single 27 year old woman, who's very outgoing, social, open and friendly. It'd be tough to be so far from home with no one around anyway, but to have it be so difficult to make friends on top of that? What's the city like? What's the food like? I keep running into SA vs. Austin threads and it's making my head hurt. ;(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 12:48 PM

6,275 posts, read 9,041,414 times
There's a few here w/nothing good to say about SA. We live in New Braunfels (just north of SA) - my maternal side has been here over 150 years. My paternal side has lived in the SA area for 150 years as of last year - they were newcomers!

SA is family oriented, but a very friendly city. The attitude is generally one of meeting folks that are going to be your new best friends - very open and accomodating, in my experience. If you want to move here and make things like they were where you're from, please stay where you are. If you're coming to live a new experience, you won't find a friendlier place.

Generally speaking, things are more laid back and relaxed here. We really don't care about your background - we care about how you are, and will accept just about anything. So, if you come this way feel free to be yourself - southern grace and charm DO still exist here!

Old 01-10-2011, 01:01 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,478,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_kitkat View Post
Is it true that it's difficult to make friends in San Antonio? I'm a single 27 year old woman, who's very outgoing, social, open and friendly.
It can be or not depending on what your interests are.
I find it difficult because I'm more introverted and rather be on the computer posting on City-Data! But since you're outgoing and striking up a conversation is easy for you, you will have a easier time than me!
Did you check out Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup already and see if there are groups in SA that you would be interested in getting involved with? Be sure to check out the activity level of a particular group you are interested in (recent activities, lots of members, etc.).

Old 01-10-2011, 01:02 PM

993 posts, read 2,194,727 times
If you are good looking you should be fine making friends. < Is that mean?

Old 01-10-2011, 01:09 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,918,959 times
I would recommend staying around your current base of family and friends.

If you like to drink or go to church then those are two crowds where you will find plenty of acquaintances if you are "very outgoing, social, open and friendly", not sure about best friends, if not then it can be rather lonely especially for newcomers. I have met a couple of females in your age range, that is if you are a female, and that was their experience, no one to go out with.

There are plenty of fast food, chains, and Tex-Mex, actually Mexican now, but take a look at some of the the "Last restaurant you are at" thread to read what else there is here.

The city is a vast sprawl, a car is necessary for most if not all things unless you choose certain select neighborhoods with more walking/biking opportunities.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:12 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,918,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
Some guys just cannot help but tell online how much they enjoy attractive women, kinda creepy, but meh...most guys feel the same just don't make it a topic at every turn, so glad you don't!

Old 01-10-2011, 01:13 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,187,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post

I believe nothing without photos attached.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:21 PM

5,615 posts, read 12,835,987 times
If you're in outer suburbia or out in the sticks meeting people would be hard from what people I've worked with said. They either moved to inner suburbia or downtown, or drove a lot to get to where people hangout.

From what I know about Austin that would be true for either city FWIW.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:39 PM

258 posts, read 565,390 times
Honestly, I think it would be hard for a single person to meet people here. I don't think there is much of a night life. If I were in your shoes, I would look into Houston or Austin.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:39 PM

418 posts, read 689,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septgirl75 View Post
Honestly, I think it would be hard for a single person to meet people here. I don't think there is much of a night life. If I were in your shoes, I would look into Houston or Austin.
Last time I was down on the Riverwalk things seemed lively with a good
number of people hanging out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or