Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 02:25 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,776,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadlockd View Post
lol @ "Stone Oak clientele" ....is that suppose to be an indicator of great taste? Oh boy...
I guess that means "south side clientele" means the food isn't of great taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 02:28 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,876,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Dinner at Merovee's place! Everyone bring a favorite side dish!

Awesome!
I am not at my place but hiding out in Margaritaville.

Oh wait, are we are talking Chinese buffet and not Jimmy Buffett?

The best Chinese restaurant used to be The Great Wall which was at Blanco & 410 in the Blanco North shopping strip but sadly they have left :/

Old 01-12-2011, 02:36 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,339,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzrd View Post
That sucks that you feel that way because there are plenty of really good Chinese restaurants in this city that have absolutely nothing to do with buffets and turn out really good food. That you don't know whether or not there's a PF Changs here tells me that you are either new or need to get out more and try other places.
well, ouch. Someone woke up on the wrong side of the eggroll this morning. Kids don't do Chinese, so I haven't paid attention and was too lazy to pull up PF's website. No need to get your wonton all in a ruffle.

I've lived in SA long enough to know to check out a restaurant before going there. If they failed a health inspection and are on the local news for having cockroach and rat infestations in the kitchen, I'm not eating there just so I can say I have "experienced" other places.

We eat out when nothing is defrosted or the cupboards are bare. But, I rather cook -- then I know the food will be decent, I know what exactly is in my dish and I KNOW this cook has washed her hands and utensils before preparing any food. Can you say the same about those "other places"?)

As I said, the food in this city as a whole -- in my opinion (so just leave it at that all ye SA lovers) -- is disappointing and I don't like to waste my money. And the level of cleanliness is even worse.

On the bright side...I am getting a lot of practice in the kitchen -- having lived in SA for soooo, maaaaaany years now. Add Lucille Ball's waaaaaaaaaaa here.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:36 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,603,039 times
I have been to China Sea by IH-10 and Wurzbach Road. It was okay.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:12 PM

948 posts, read 1,842,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
well, ouch. Someone woke up on the wrong side of the eggroll this morning. Kids don't do Chinese, so I haven't paid attention and was too lazy to pull up PF's website. No need to get your wonton all in a ruffle.

I've lived in SA long enough to know to check out a restaurant before going there. If they failed a health inspection and are on the local news for having cockroach and rat infestations in the kitchen, I'm not eating there just so I can say I have "experienced" other places.

We eat out when nothing is defrosted or the cupboards are bare. But, I rather cook -- then I know the food will be decent, I know what exactly is in my dish and I KNOW this cook has washed her hands and utensils before preparing any food. Can you say the same about those "other places"?)

As I said, the food in this city as a whole -- in my opinion (so just leave it at that all ye SA lovers) -- is disappointing and I don't like to waste my money. And the level of cleanliness is even worse.

On the bright side...I am getting a lot of practice in the kitchen -- having lived in SA for soooo, maaaaaany years now. Add Lucille Ball's waaaaaaaaaaa here.
Oh I'm fine. All I was saying is that it's too bad that you're writing off all Chinese food places or eating out in general because of some bad reviews. I wouldn't step foot in one a place that has failed a health inspection and I never implied you should just for the experience either. There ARE some Chinese food places here that have not failed an inspection. I'm sorry that you feel that the food here sucks, maybe you've been going to the wrong places.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:07 PM

810 posts, read 1,425,347 times
For good Chinese (either buffet or authentic), go to Austin, Dallas, and Houston. San Antonio is not known for their Chinese food.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:25 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Just go to Ding How and order a family meal--you'll get several entrees and rice, soup, etc. Plenty of food! I have only been there once but it was good. 410 and Callaghan. I think most of the sit-down Chinese places do this.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:32 PM

948 posts, read 1,842,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
For good Chinese (either buffet or authentic), go to Austin, Dallas, and Houston. San Antonio is not known for their Chinese food.
We don't have to be known for good Chinese to have a few good places....that's ridiculous that your helpful advice is for someone to go to another city. C'mon.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:36 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,603,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Just go to Ding How and order a family meal--you'll get several entrees and rice, soup, etc. Plenty of food! I have only been there once but it was good. 410 and Callaghan. I think most of the sit-down Chinese places do this.

That place sounds great. I like the sit down and order Chinese Restaurants better too. Do you remember the prices?

Last edited by elnina; 01-12-2011 at 09:09 PM..

Old 01-12-2011, 06:44 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
That place sounds great. I like the sit down and order Chinese Restaurants better too. Do you remember the prices?
Go at lunch and it's much cheaper. Dinner for the three of us ran.....um, I think it was $60'ish. I posted a review after we went but i don't know which thread it's in. Lunch is much more reasonable and you can just share your plates. But if you're only here for the weekend you may want to try some of our other more "famous" places! I just threw Ding How out there because I remembered seeing the family dinners on their menu, and it's (to me) similar to a buffet without all the germs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio