U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 04:18 PM

102 posts, read 116,937 times
Talking How hard is the Bexar County Sheriffs exam?

I lived in San Antonio about 9yrs ago...I loved it but moved back up north. Now I want to return to San Antonio. I am looking for a job with bexar county...I know there is a writen test I am going to have to take...my question is....is the test hard? I am not asking for answers or anything like that...my concern is with the math section...what kind of math is involved? What type of math should I brush up on? Also will the department run my credit? I use to work for a sheriff dept in Va and they are pretty much serious about their officers having damn near perfect credit. I am curious if Bexar County is a stickler for "good" credit?

When I lived in San Antonio...I lived in the Churchhill(NC) area is that area still a good area? I am looking for an area that is REALLY nice,clean,and excellent school district. Any suggestions. Thanks guys.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:43 PM

4,643 posts, read 3,556,967 times
I think there is still a hiring freeze for sheriffs. Either way, all of the sheriffs have to start off as detention officers. It used to be that you would have to work at the jail for a year and you could become a sheriff, but they aren't even hiring internally right now. I've heard that some people have been waiting over two years.

I did take the detention officer's test which was really easy to me. About half of the class failed, but I don't see how. The math questions are very basic; you don't have to remember how to do complicated algebra equations or anything like that. They do check your credit report but not your credit score. All they are looking for is that you don't have an excessive amount of debt and that you're making an effort to pay on it. The physical exam is a piece of cake for anyone halfway in shape, but you're going to have to get into really good shape if you're going to make it through the academy.

BCSO Employment Information (http://www.bexar.org/bcsheriff/employment.htm - broken link)

You have to stick with them for a year if you don't want to pay back the salary paid to you during training. I didn't want to be stuck with them for a year considering that I might not like working in a jail, so I didn't continue with the hiring process.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:54 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,160,996 times
Here is the SAPD study guide, if it's any indicator of what the BCSO test is like.

The SAPD physical fitness test can be found here.

Hope that helps!

Cheers! M2

Old 01-15-2011, 11:04 PM

Here are instructions for detention officer applicants with the requirements for passing the physical exam. Judging from the study guide MMM posted, the detention officer test is not nearly as difficult or long. It doesn't even need a study guide, that's why one doesn't exist.

http://www.bexar.org/PRM/PDF/ApplyForJob/07Det%20Off%20Written%20Exam%20Physical%20Agility% 20Inf.pdf (broken link)

You have to register and fill out an application at this website.

Bexar County Connection Newsletter (http://www.bexar.org/PRM/Apply.html - broken link)

Last edited by L210; 01-15-2011 at 11:18 PM..

Old 09-11-2012, 01:26 PM

4 posts, read 16,112 times
hi did take ur written test for bexar county ? if so hows the test? how hard is it?

whats the test about ? english,math? or its correctional test like memorizing ?

thanks!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-11-2012 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: merged consecutive posts by same OP

Old 09-11-2012, 05:13 PM

2,711 posts, read 1,954,094 times
All I know is that my friend had no trouble with the test about 10 years ago. Of course, she's very bright, college-educated and had done 20 years in the military. I remember her commenting on how THOROUGHLY they checked out her background and references. Also, there was some kind of physical fitness test.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:03 PM

586 posts, read 410,463 times
What are you trying to do, become a Jailer or do you want to be a Peace Officer?

Going from the jail to patrol is a long shot. If you want to be a Peace Officer, there are much easier places to go about it. If you want to be a Jailer, best of luck to you.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:25 PM

4 posts, read 16,112 times
im trying to apply for detention officer division and bexar county sheriff requiring a written test and just curious whats the tests about.. bexar county sheriff is hiring 50 officers rt now ....
now anyone applying for sheriff always start from jail after a yr. or so apply to become patrol..

Old 09-11-2012, 11:51 PM

Sometimes, detention officers get stuck in the jail for 2-3 years before they have a chance at becoming a deputy. One year is just the minimum you have to work in the jail, but it could be a few years before there are openings.

If the written test is the same as it was in 2007, it just tests you on your basic math and reading/writing skills. I can't remember if there was a memory section. If there was, it was testing you on what you could remember from what's written on the test. You don't have to study or know about correctional procedures and laws. Anyone who graduated high school should be able to pass, but that isn't always the case. Like I said a year and half ago, about half of the people I took the written test with failed.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:02 AM

586 posts, read 410,463 times
Yall are delusional if you think there is much of a chance of going from the Jail to Patrol.

Again, it is a long shot. Most Jailers who go to the Police Academy STILL stay in the Jail. They are Jailers with a Peace Officer license.

Everyone wants to be a cop. The Jail needs Jailers. They do (most places do) everything they can to keep as many people as they can working in the Jail.

Hell, go to one of the Academies such as SAC or AACOG....the instuctors will flat out tell the Jailers (and most of the people in the class are often Jailers) "Good luck, you want to be a street cop, you need to leave County as...because they DO NOT want you to leave the Jail." ....many people do just that. They have no choice if they want to be a street cop and get out of the jail.

It is so bad, that in a lot of places, Counties will hire Officers from outside just so they dont have to move someone out of the Jail. Again, everyone wants to be a cop....they want (need) people to stay in the Jail. There are a lot of Jailers who already are Peace Officers. There is a long line to get to the streets and it is obvious to most people that "knowing" the right people helps more than anything else.

People need that stone cold reality check if they want to play that game. Having said all of that, if you insist on going down that path, go for it. Some people do make it from the jail to the street. However, again, I must impore you to realize, if you want to be a cop, going through the Academy and applying for cop jobs at the many agencies in this area is a much quicker way and in a number of cases leads to a better paying job from the start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio